Late 2013 is throwing out so many future classics...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 10/02/2013 18:56
  • Post subject: Late 2013 is throwing out so many future classics...
This has to be said. I feel (at least in popular music) we have been given so many treats. Every time I am going to the record since the start of September there has been a new release I have wanted.

What about October and November? Plenty more to get excited about! Eminem, Keane, Lady Gaga, Arcade Fire, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Pearl Jam... all of them massive artists.

Are the future classics being released? The albums by Arctic Monkeys, Haim and Chvrches all look set to be critic's darlings in the coming years. Can you think of more? Smile

2013 has been so great that it can look 2012 in the eye. 2013 can still get better. Everything is good in the music...

just

need

spark

for

revolution! Laughing
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2013 19:19
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Eminem, Keane, Lady Gaga, Arcade Fire, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Pearl Jam... all of them massive artists.

I don't know. It's been an ok year I guess, but there's nobody in that list above that has me excited for the fall (maybe Arcade Fire, but it seems like they are doing everything they can to turn me off of this new release.)

As a matter of fact, several artists I love produced albums that (I think) are less than their standard this year (MGMT, Daft Punk, Nine Inch Nails, Yo La Tengo, Phoenix.)
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
gtroda

• Posted: 10/02/2013 19:24
  • Post subject:
This happens every year. Record labels save major releases by more popular artists until the fourth quarter to boost sales during the holiday period.
andy_hunter

Cape Verde

• Posted: 10/02/2013 19:34
  • Post subject: Re: Late 2013 is throwing out so many future classics...
an_outlaw wrote:
2013 has been so great that it can look 2012 in the eye. 2013 can still get better.

With the exception of Jack White and Tame Impala, 2012 was absolutely terrible. This year however has been incredible! Daft Punk, Vampire Weekend, Arctic Monkeys, Atoms for Peace, Kanye West and Foxygen all have brilliant albums this year. Even the stuff they're playing on mainstream radio is alright; Blurred Lines, Get Lucky, Thrift Shop, Pompeii, Mirrors. And yes, there is still more to come must notably Arcade Fire who are hitting all the right notes with me at the moment.

Best Albums of 2014. Rate That Shiz, yo
  • Visit poster's website
imnotanotter

• Posted: 10/02/2013 19:35
  • Post subject:
I agree, this year has been spectacular with more sure ones to come. I liked last year better, but didn't realize how much I loved last year until this year. So who knows, I may end up liking this year a lot more than I already do. I don't know why Arcade Fire is turning anyone off, in fact I don't have a doubt in my mind that it'll turn up in my top 5 of the year just from the tracks that have been released. I feel like we're spoiled; to me, we're living in a lesser degree of a musical renaissance that we won't realize until a couple years down the road minimum. Just my two cents though.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2013 19:55
  • Post subject:
Mark Kozelek is releasing another Sun Kil Moon album this year to put him at 4 studio albums for the year. I'll accept 2013 as a good year because of that. Eminem, Katy Perry, Keane, Lady Gaga, Pearl Jam and Miley Cyrus just ruin that for me.
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 10/02/2013 20:05
  • Post subject:
I don't know, 2013 doesn't really have that same effect with me. 2013 started really strong with releasing a new MBV album after years in the making and then, for me at least, everything was sort of quiet and the content was uninteresting. Now, the attention shot up with the release of Arctic Monkeys and now other artists are taking form and are taking new directions.

The mainstream artists have been a bit mixed for me. I don't even want to talk about Miley Cyrus because the topic of her recent behavior is over-hyped. Blurred Lines seems really dull for me, honestly. But, other tracks like Get Lucky and Mirrors have been favourites for me.

Now, the year is not over yet so I can't fairly judge it yet. But, so far, I don't really see what's all the talk about this being a great year in music. It's OK, with some Arcade Fire in the mix (which I am really exited for their new album).
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 10/02/2013 21:03
  • Post subject:
Well obviously, compared to 2012, this year looks like the most amazing year ever. Nevertheless, it´s truly a great year for music. The National, Vampire Weekend, Daft Punk, Foxygen, Arctic Monkeys, MBV, Atoms for Peace, QOSA are all incredible albums. And still to come, is Arcade Fire, Eminem, Moby, etc.

Praise for this year in music, hope to get a 2014 with the same quality
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2013 21:06
  • Post subject:
This year has been phenomenal. Really. This is the best year in music since 2010, maybe even earlier than that. Last year had a handful of truly remarkable albums (Channel Orange; good kid, m.A.A.d city; A Church That Fits Our Needs, etc.) but few other albums that were memorable, for better or for worse.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2013 21:07
  • Post subject:
HoldenM wrote:
A Church That Fits Our Needs

I wish more people thought that one was remarkable.
  • Visit poster's website