View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2010 02:11
  • Post subject:
badfaith wrote:
albummaster wrote:
For some artists with huge discographies, it can be a bit daunting where to start. I think compilations give you a 'way in' and you can then investigate an artist further depending on how your listening went. I think music habits have changed and people don't have patience to listen through the filler tracks. Compilations fit the modern audience who just rip the best tracks into their MP3 libraries and who don't listen to an album as a cohesive whole any more.

Isn't this one of the purposes of this website?

To have that 'way in' based on a community suggestion utilising their collective experience in the digital age and fill the void once occupied by your local record shop owner/guru of music (mine was a real wierd jazz fiend, who used to play some truly bizarre stuff, but pointed me in the direstion of a lot of great stuff that my generation's tastes would not tolerate!)- (Ah, memories!- I wonder what happened to him?)

But one look at this site for a prospective Clash fan would say that London Calling was a significantly safer bet than Sandinista for instance!

Badfaith speaks the truth.

Also, one thing that you must realize is that, when I want to hear the singles from a band, I BUY THE SINGLES. I don't need to buy a big compilation just to hear a few tracks, especially if it mostly includes stuff I already have.

On a side note, though, I have to say that, when I'm bored, I like to make my own compilations. I put a bunch of bootlegs from the internet together, put them in order, make up a catchy title, and put together some Photoshop stuff with it. It's a ton of fun!
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/23/2010 08:42
  • Post subject:
badfaith wrote:
albummaster wrote:
For some artists with huge discographies, it can be a bit daunting where to start. I think compilations give you a 'way in' and you can then investigate an artist further depending on how your listening went. I think music habits have changed and people don't have patience to listen through the filler tracks. Compilations fit the modern audience who just rip the best tracks into their MP3 libraries and who don't listen to an album as a cohesive whole any more.

Isn't this one of the purposes of this website?

Indeed, that is one of the primary purposes of this site. I'm just speaking for the silent majortity of listeners who'd rather get spoon-fed their musical taste via TV commercials and large record companies and are too lazy to bother with anything else.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2010 12:40
  • Post subject:
I'm with albummaster on this one. Compilations are a great way to get to know a group, especially one that came out before your time. After listening to the compilation and liking a song or two you can then seek out the albums from whence the come. Compilations are often only what are available for pre 1960s. Compilations often include some great booklets and additional tracks (never released tracks and alternate takes, etc). Each has their own preferences and while the site through its charts may suggest a starting point for most, it may not be yours. So don't be afraid to use compilations, but remember there are good and bad compilations too.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
badfaith

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/24/2010 02:50
  • Post subject:
... although, having said that, I do own the best of A-ha!

Sorry.

But in their case, I'm not sure even I could do that to myself- listen to a whole album by them.

So where do I go from here, having confessed that?

Guilty pleasures thread, the naughty step, therapy, ... Scandinavia?
  • Visit poster's website
maxperenchio

• Posted: 03/24/2010 03:02
  • Post subject:
I embrace compilations. I don't buy the "you need the whole story" argument. There are tons of real albums that use songs recorded years apart- if anything a compilation can evoke a panoramic sense of the artist's career. Listen to whatever you want. If a band releases a fucking awesome compilation of slaying jams, why not dive in? There are lots of artists whose "greatest hits" sound incredible and consistent when played back to back- Tom Petty, Queen come to mind. I mean is a compilation really that different from a awesome mix tape given to you by a friend?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/24/2010 03:23
  • Post subject:
Here are a few great compilations:

Al Green-Greatest Hits
    Bob Marley and the Wailers-Legend
    Buddy Holly-20 Golden Greats
    Chuck Berry-The Great Twenty-Eight
    James Brown-Star Time
    Muddy Waters-The Anthology, 1947 - 1972
    Sly and the Family Stone-Greatest Hits
    The Beatles-1962-66

• Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 09/04/2011 07:12
  • Post subject: Re: I HATE COMPILATIONS
Applerill wrote:
I'll tell you why by example. A few months ago (on Superbowl Sunday, in fact; where they would play during halftime) I found a Who compilation for $6 at the used bookstore. I'd had thoughts of picking up Who's Next around then, and I thought I'd save some money by buying this beforehand.

WRONG.

Since I already had several of the tracks from the album (albeit in a hard-to-manage format) from the compilation, I still haven't had the urge to buy the whole thing. I considered buying simply the tracks I didn't have, but that wouldn't help; the individual songs would still cost more than the $11 for the whole album.

I was ticked off hardcore, and I promised then and there that I would NEVER buy another compilation album in my life (unless it's for B-sides or something).

What do you think of compilations?

lol... so $6 will make you never buy a compilation again?

Think
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 09/04/2011 07:21
  • Post subject:
Mr Shankly has perfectly stated what I think about compilations. A compilation is not good or bad in itself, it's as good (or bad) as its contents anyway. I own awesome compilations (my favourite being the Stax/Volt singles collection or that incredible Mento Madness compilation) and bad ones (random piling up of famous disposable hits).
  • Visit poster's website
kidamnesiac

• Posted: 09/04/2011 07:55
  • Post subject:

• Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 09/04/2011 09:05
  • Post subject:
I agree in the majority of cases but where would we be without:

for realsies.