Movie Recommendation Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 10/10/2013 20:18
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Limiting myself to the listed muties, you should definitely see Häxan by Christensen and Metropolis by Lang (not horror though - except if you stretch the concept to the horror of fascism)

Yeah, that's actually why we didn't end up watching Metropolis, but I've heard so many good things about it that I wanted to leave it on the list for a later viewing. I think we tried to watch Haxan, but had issues with the version we got and it was only a borderline horror film to begin with. Regardless, thanks for the suggestions, I'll add them to the queue.

• Posted: 10/10/2013 20:21
  • Post subject:
Movies are the one art I'm so unwatched in, it is pitiful. Meccalecca's list on the first page sounded lovely, I'll try a few of them sometime. I tend to like the whimsical and fantastical, which I think most people have caught on to already, so recs with those adjectives attached to them would be welcome...OR any recs, really. I've not spent much time watching movies at all.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 10/10/2013 20:23
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
Movies are the one art I'm so unwatched in, it is pitiful. Meccalecca's list on the first page sounded lovely, I'll try a few of them sometime. I tend to like the whimsical and fantastical, which I think most people have caught on to already, so recs with those adjectives attached to them would be welcome...OR any recs, really. I've not spent much time watching movies at all.

You watched Amelié yet? It should be right up your alley.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 10/10/2013 20:24
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
You watched Amelié yet? It should be right up your alley.

Yeah that is one of the few movies I've watched, lol, I adored it and I guess I consider it one of my favourite movies. Smile
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 10/10/2013 20:34
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
Yeah that is one of the few movies I've watched, lol, I adored it and I guess I consider it one of my favourite movies. Smile

Oh well.. Good choice. It's also my current #1 Smile

I'm looking at my favourite movies list and I'm not sure I can give you a rec of something like that. There's Moonrise Kingdom, but I'm pretty sure I saw you comment on it before? Other than that, I don't know.. Maybe Forrest Gump if by any chance you haven't seen it. And if it's not too much of a cliched choice lol.
Or maybe Me and You and Everyone We Know...
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 10/10/2013 20:35
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Oh well.. Good choice. It's also my current #1 Smile

I'm looking at my favourite movies list and I'm not sure I can give you a rec of something like that. There's Moonrise Kingdom, but I'm pretty sure I saw you comment on it before? Other than that, I don't know.. Maybe Forrest Gump if by any chance you haven't seen it. And if it's not too much of a cliched choice lol.
Or maybe Me and You and Everyone We Know...

Very Happy

Lol, I think everyone has seen Forrest Gump. And yep, I adore Moonrise Kingdom. Razz

I've not heard of Me and You and Everyone We Know, I'll try it sometime. Smile Thanks!
meezus

• Posted: 10/10/2013 20:35
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:

Horror list

Movies with star ratings we've seen. If anyone thinks we missed anything essential, let me know.

I'm a horror fanatic too. My favorite horror film is Audition, but I see that you've already watched that. Here are a few that I really love that I didn't see on your list (unless I missed them):

Diabolique (1955) - Awesome French horror/thriller.
Funny Games(1997) - Really twisted and disturbing home invasion horror with some social commentary. I recommend this one over the remake.
Kill List (2011) - Atmospheric, stylized, and terrifying. It's nothing like Mulholland Dr., but that's one of the only movies I can liken it to... totally absorbing and immersive.
In My Skin (2002) - Really effective body horror.
The Skin I Live In (2011) - Pedro Almodovar's take on horror... so it's off-beat and artsy, and maybe not really horror in the "typical" sense, but it's fun and twisted. Sort of a riff on Eyes Without A Face.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 10/10/2013 20:41
  • Post subject:
meezus wrote:
I'm a horror fanatic too. My favorite horror film is Audition, but I see that you've already watched that. Here are a few that I really love that I didn't see on your list (unless I missed them):

Diabolique (1955) - Awesome French horror/thriller.
Funny Games(1997) - Really twisted and disturbing home invasion horror with some social commentary. I recommend this one over the remake.
Kill List (2011) - Atmospheric, stylized, and terrifying. It's nothing like Mulholland Dr., but that's one of the only movies I can liken it to... totally absorbing and immersive.
In My Skin (2002) - Really effective body horror.
The Skin I Live In (2011) - Pedro Almodovar's take on horror... so it's off-beat and artsy, and maybe not really horror in the "typical" sense, but it's fun and twisted. Sort of a riff on Eyes Without A Face.

Cool, thanks! Our horror film journey has been temporarily delayed by history of music thing, but I've been itching to get back to it. With the US government shut down, we can't go to work, so I guess now is as good a time as any.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 10/10/2013 20:42
  • Post subject:
meezus wrote:
My favorite horror film is Audition

Awwwwww yyeeeeaaahhhh Very Happy

Definitely one of my favourite horrors. And movies in general... Actually why don't I just link to my IMDb list again:
http://www.imdb.com/list/dZ5wP3gkTyE/

Hasn't been updated in a while, I'm also not watching that many movies nowadays, but there you go... I recommend all of them.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 10/10/2013 20:50
  • Post subject:
BTW seeing as we obviously have at least a couple of horror experts on this board, I will take this opportunity to ask you guys for what I've been looking for a while now. I'm in need of a good psychological horror, or a movie that mostly builds the horror on the atmosphere, rather than on gore or jump-scares. Audition is a good example of that, as are the likes of Repulsion, Janghwa, Hongryeon, maybe even Jacob's Ladder.

Would appreciate any suggestions : )
  • Visit poster's website