Anybody want to start a music blog?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 10/14/2013 17:52
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

Every 24 hours, the BEABlog will put up a new post on an album I should listen to. It could be as big as a genre-wide "beginner's guide", or it may be as small as a link to a new MP3 or album stream.

This sounds like a good idea. We could put contributors on a (flexible) rotation and if they're too busy to post anything substantial, they could just put up a link with a few sentences. The problem with these things is always finding a balance between too much pressure, where contributors get overwhelmed/annoyed, and too little pressure, where nothing gets done. Of course, the editorial process would also have to be factored in there somewhere...
JMan

• Posted: 10/14/2013 18:28
  • Post subject:
Thought: should we start by reviewing the BEA top 100?

• Posted: 10/14/2013 18:30
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:

No.

lethalnezzle wrote:
I guess my idea is that we would primarily focus on new music
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 10/14/2013 18:55
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:

If there's one thing this blog shouldn't be, it's revisiting the same old albums. Very few people want to hear new opinions about the albums that are already grounded firmly into music history and our culture, and if they did, it's probably being covered over on Rolling Stone.

Focusing on new music will keep things always fresh, and we'll always be able to offer unique opinions.

We should also consider looking at what we believe to be forgotten classics, and a good handful of introspective articles discussing and comparing a wide range of music.

This is a great opportunity, let's not waste it by doing what everyone else is doing, we have a really strong user base that's already hugely knowledgeable about a wide array of music, so we should utilize that as much as we can.

Last edited by Puncture Repair on 10/14/2013 19:00; edited 1 time in total
JMan

• Posted: 10/14/2013 18:58
  • Post subject:
I guess I'll start by writing a review of that Sarh Brightman album that just came out. Im going to hear it again today to better my review.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/14/2013 19:02
  • Post subject:
I'm interested for contributing content and editing. Possible design, whatever may be needed.
imnotanotter

• Posted: 10/14/2013 19:23
  • Post subject:
I can most certainly edit; it's all I do at work so I have good experience. I can also contribute content from time to time. Sign me up, chief.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 10/14/2013 21:07
  • Post subject:
Okay I'm gonna drop a few things that I think should be considered + some my ideas on the blog (not trying to force anything).

So.. First a few obvious things you have to consider:
What's the name gonna be?
Will it just be like a regular free blog, or do you maybe want to go more serious with it, pay for a domain etc.?
The latter would offer you more freedom with both the visual design and the featured content. But y'know, cost you more. And of course in that case, a question is also - who will take care of the site?

Then, I guess the question is, what is the blog going to be about, i.e. will you try to make it special in a way, or distinct from other music blogs? Obviously it depends on the ambition you have with the blog, but it's worth thinking about it.

About the reviews - will there be numerical/letter grades? Or not at all?
Will the blog be tied to BEA in any way?
Who will be involved in this? How many people will write, how will the reviews be chosen, who would be the editor etc.

Here are some of my thoughts on the above + other ideas:

I think the blog should start in a limited way, possibly limited to one thing at first before branching out. Maybe focus on new album reviews first, before adding columns or other write-ups. The thing is, it would be a bit odd if, when the blog opens, you begin by being all over the place with 15 different people contributing and each writing about their own thing. But maybe.. If it's gonna start in the next few months, you could first do the end of year reviews, lists, write-ups about best albums/songs of the year, most overlooked albums etc.
That's a way to start a blog in a fairly coherent way and also feature several people.

So.. how many people to contribute? A lot of people have shown interest, but to be honest I don't think many are really prepared to do this long term (no offense meant). I think the perfect idea is to have a few regulars that would write reviews, maybe other articles/columns/opinion pieces on things going on in music. And then several (as many as possible) people writing occasional articles, possibly in their own columns as well. What I mean by columns is like you could have a monthly vagina section, where Saoirse talks about the great female artist music released in the month, or about other news related to female musicians, then you could have a "JMan talks genres" corner, Appleril's got enough weird shit up his sleeve for his "corner" as well.

The last time an user came up with the idea of a reviews site, there was talk of treason and how a new site would be taking users from BEA. While those complaints are stupid and the two users clearly delusional, I do think that there should be a certain tie to the BEA forums, considering people contributing will be from here.
E.g. whether or not the album reviews will have a grade or not, have a way to maybe show the score that BEA has. Or at least some sort of a link. Another thing, have every contributor to have a link to his BEA profile and charts.

Another thing that was brought up at the time, was the idea of having two people give their opinion on a particular album. Now I don't think you have to have more people review the album (it's not really necessary either), but for example if you go along with the grade, maybe have all the contributors to the blog give a score as well. That way the person doing a review is somebody who clearly knows his shit about the music/genre of the album reviewed, but the reader will also see what the opinions of other writers are. That's a minor note though...

Also, to keep in mind.. If you're serious about it in the long term, you have to realize that
-it's gonna take a lot of time
-people will be dropping all the time... could be hard to get even a few regulars; and if there's gonna be a sort of columns, those people should at least be somewhat regular contributors! It would be weird if you had someone write regularly about certain topic, and then have him disappear when he either gets bored or has more important things IRL to worry about.

Ugh.. I had more in mind, but I'm tired and can't think straight. It probably shows in the post. Hope it helps anyway. As for me, I don't think I could be a regular contributor, at least not a reviewer, but could see myself helping in other ways.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 10/14/2013 21:31
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Will it just be like a regular free blog, or do you maybe want to go more serious with it, pay for a domain etc.?
The latter would offer you more freedom with both the visual design and the featured content. But y'know, cost you more. And of course in that case, a question is also - who will take care of the site?

There's been a little bit of talk regarding this. I think the logical move is to set up the blog with our own domain, and be independent from any profit service other than our provider. Considering the costs, which shouldn't surpass $5 a month (likely divided by a number of willing contributors), I think this is a wise investment if we wish to be taken seriously.

I've put in my word for developing the blog, and I know Manc has expressed interest, who from the sounds of things could be invaluable. If enough people take this seriously, it's not something I can see myself abandoning.

Quote:
Also, to keep in mind.. If you're serious about it in the long term, you have to realize that
-it's gonna take a lot of time
-people will be dropping all the time...

This needs to be drilled in further. If this is going to be realistic then we need a handful of people who are actually fully devoted to the launch of this blog. I strongly urge anyone who's briefly suggested they would contribute to really consider how strongly they feel about this project. This won't be something to just walk into. That said, the more the merrier.

EDIT: Felt like my last paragraph made the whole thing seem a little exclusive. I think it would be great to have both a devoted team and a collection of people who can offer posts when they can, but I wanted to stress that it should be important that we'd have both.

Last edited by Puncture Repair on 10/14/2013 22:01; edited 1 time in total
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 10/14/2013 21:44
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

We should also consider looking at what we believe to be forgotten classics, and a good handful of introspective articles discussing and comparing a wide range of music.

19loveless91 wrote:
And then several (as many as possible) people writing occasional articles, possibly in their own columns as well. What I mean by columns is like you could have a monthly [forgotten classics] section

The combination of these two suggestions is roughly what I had in mind for my own contributions (assuming others are interested). I could talk about new music, but folks like Lethal are much more informed in that area than I am. A forgotten classics section could also be tied to current trends in music.

I don't want to make too my commitment too ambitious right now -- I have a young son and my work situation creates a highly variable amount of free time, so I don't want it to be a problem if I'm MIA for a while.