Electronic / Dance Albums being left behind

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 11/01/2013 18:11
  • Post subject: Electronic / Dance Albums being left behind
I know it´s hard to even consider most of the electronic / dance albums released out there to be compared to other genres albums. But I think there is some truly good stuff that doesnt get much praise in this site. Other than Daft Punk, few or none bands are considered.

So the purpose of this thread is to list your favorite albums of the genre and to discuss why do you think they might be left behind, by either you or the site in general.

My personal favorites

Justice - Cross (657 in the Overall Chart)
UNKLE - Psyence Fiction (2581- Overall Chart)
Aphex Twin - Drukqs (2234)
Disclosure - Settle (4840)
The Prodigy - The Fat of The Land (334)
Daft Punk - Homework (553)
Deadmau5 - For Lack of a Better Name (4780)
The Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole (883)
Fatboy Slim - You've Come A Long Way, Baby (1343)
The Glitch Mob - Drink The Sea (33050)
m83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (654)

I consider all those in that list, brilliant albums from start to finish, and the highest entry in the overall rank is 334. I´m not saying they deserve a higher entry, Im just suggesting a general underappreciation of the genre.
JMan

• Posted: 11/01/2013 18:17
  • Post subject: Re: Electronic / Dance Albums being left behind
meruizh wrote:
UNKLE - Psyence Fiction (2581- Overall Chart)
Aphex Twin - Drukqs (2234)
Disclosure - Settle (4840)
The Prodigy - The Fat of The Land (334)
Deadmau5 - For Lack of a Better Name (4780)
The Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole (883)
Fatboy Slim - You've Come A Long Way, Baby (1343)
The Glitch Mob - Drink The Sea (33050)
m83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (654)

I'm eager to try these out! I've only heard a few electronic/dance albums. I'd say 334 is pretty good considering all the genres we have. But you are right about under appreciation.

Last edited by JMan on 11/01/2013 18:30; edited 2 times in total
moojakptorei

• Posted: 11/01/2013 18:25
meruizh wrote:

I've heard these two. I find I don't like them as much because of the lack of vocals. There were times in these albums where I felt I was listening to a beat and nothing else. The thing is, these albums are meant to be danced to and aren't really for general listening.
Le_Samurai

• Posted: 11/01/2013 18:30
  • Post subject:
You forgot this classic from 2002

An incredible update of disco, its full of classics. "Miura" is one of my most listened to songs in my itunes and all the tunes on this you can dance too.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/01/2013 18:33
I'm not sure about what it means - or if you're talking "site" or "forum". Surely on the forum electronic music has good publicity and a whole lot of users who listen to electronic music on a regular basis.

Now, the problem may be that this records you speak of are much more recent than say, The Beatles or Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd, who have have 45-35 years to infuse everybody's minds - and more chance to get into top 100 lists. And if you look at other, more recent acts (say, Radiohead, Björk,...) who seem to vulgarize other people's researches (Lali Puna, Matmos et al) it seems to me at least partly accountable for that they should be more popular than more obscure electronic acts - inasmuchas they render "acceptable", "nice", "cool" etc. what could be taken for something maybe somewhat arid to some.

The other problem I have is with your picks - but that's probably a matter of taste. Drukqs is not Aphex's best, Psyence Fiction has aged some, Fatboy's is little more than a collection of singles (enjoyable for sure). I don't know Deadmau5 and The Glitch Mob. Disclosure is pretty recent. I thoroughly dislike Justice and The Prodigy - but that's me. Out of your picks, only Dig Your Own Hole strikes me as being very good, and I don't think it's particularly disregarded.

Now, that doesn't mean you're entirely wrong - if we take the general charts rather than the forum into account, that is. I'm ready to admit that generally, the wave of German electronic albums from the 70s could be rated much higher - Kraftwerk is respected, Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Cluster, etc. could be deserving of more attention. But again, not on the forum - these artists are well known and listened to in these parts.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 11/01/2013 19:09
  • Post subject:
Actually, Justice is the shit. Trying the album "Cross" right now, and this things awesome. Gonna go for "Deadmau5" afterward. I guess I'll get a start on a chart for electronic/dance/house albums.
Torchlin

Portugal

• Posted: 11/01/2013 19:27
  • Post subject:
We shouldn't forget that the overall chart on BEA mirrors greatest albums lists by major music publications, which tend to focus more on rock and pop albums. This coupled with the fact that there is no established "electronic dance music canon" makes people reluctant in checking out albums outside of those by popular artists like Daft Punk or LCD Soundsystem.

Also in my opinion most EDM genres are still singles and EP dominated. There are a handful of great LPs but most of the time I prefer to listen to a 15-20 min EP, a label compilation or a DJ Mix (witch are also classified as compilations).

Besides as Norman said, electronic music is pretty popular among regular forum users and I'm sure people here would be glad to discuss about new releases.

tl;dr. Don't take the overall charts too seriously.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/01/2013 19:41
  • Post subject:
Torchlin wrote:
Also in my opinion most EDM genres are still singles and EP dominated.

This.

The function of most electronic music is to fill dancefloors, as opposed to at-home listening. However, over the years more of a balance has been struck. I'm currently working on an electronic chart, but joyofdivision, dividesbyzero, Norman Bates and Mr. Frogger all have charts which work as good starting points. Check them out.
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 11/01/2013 20:04
JMan wrote:
Actually, Justice is the shit. Trying the album "Cross" right now, and this things awesome. Gonna go for "Deadmau5" afterward. I guess I'll get a start on a chart for electronic/dance/house albums.

Both Justice albums are really accessible and brilliant in my opinion. Cross is better in my opinion, still Audio, Video, Disco is an Electronica stadium guitar rock weird awesomeness.

Torchlin wrote:
Also in my opinion most EDM genres are still singles and EP dominated. There are a handful of great LPs but most of the time I prefer to listen to a 15-20 min EP, a label compilation or a DJ Mix (witch are also classified as compilations).

I definitely agree with you, EDM are greatly based on singles and EP, and most of the EDM tend to succeed apart from the singles, as they either lack intention or just because the artist feels to create something different. It`s really hard to find truly great consistent Electronic / Dance albums, still I think there are a few out there.

Le_Samurai wrote:
An incredible update of disco, its full of classics. "Miura" is one of my most listened to songs in my itunes and all the tunes on this you can dance too.

Interesting House album, I just previewed the songs, looking forward to give it a listen.

Norman Bates wrote:
Now, that doesn't mean you're entirely wrong - if we take the general charts rather than the forum into account, that is. I'm ready to admit that generally, the wave of German electronic albums from the 70s could be rated much higher - Kraftwerk is respected, Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Cluster, etc. could be deserving of more attention. But again, not on the forum - these artists are well known and listened to in these parts.

I forgot Kraftwerk and all the 70's electronica, much more praise is needed for these guys who created a genre.

• Posted: 11/01/2013 22:02
  • Post subject:

Hello Mom! by Modeselektor

Alcachofa by Ricardo Villalobos

Balance 005 by James Holden

Dark Matters by Expensive Looks

. . . Waiting For Russell by Shake

Production by Mirwais