Unlistening To Albums

View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki
  • Posted: 11/02/2013 20:11
  • Post subject: Unlistening To Albums
Do you think there could be such a thing as unlistening to albums? I could go into quite some detail with this so I will keep it short as I can.

Basically, memory in the brain is not like a computer. First big difference is people understand how computer memory works while there is so much we don't know about the brain. I'm not an expert in the field and all I will say is that most forget a huge amount of a day within the next 24 hours.

Also, the brain is an unstable liar. When these things leave the memory it will straight up make believe events. You could most probably give me a vague hour by hour description of what happened on Friday, Thursday, Wednesday, Tuesday yet there will be a lot which has been forgotten.

With all this in mind, listening to an album once isn't enough. Although... even with many listens the memory of the music can fade. Perhaps you haven't heard the album for a year or more? Perhaps you think you can remember the albums but they will be always different from how you remember. Perhaps you are saying misinformed opinions about them because of your brain.

Outside of perhaps a 2 figure number of albums, how much truly stick with you? Music is based on your own personal emotional response to the sound. Because it is non-tangible, it is subject to fading. Every day parts of your musical experience are disappearing and it will be the same until the day you disappear along with them.

You came here to listen to albums yet maybe you are unlistening to them all the time.
JMan
  • Posted: 11/02/2013 20:19
  • Post subject:
Oh I hope I remember this Every Brothers album I'm listening to.

In a way, you're right. But the second time you listen to an album, you'll be like, "Whoa! I remember this! Great track!" I got that with a couple tracks from "The Next Day" and "Reflektor"
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 11/02/2013 20:52
  • Post subject:
I'm still trying very hard to unlisten to Spenzo's latest mixtape.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States
  • Posted: 11/03/2013 03:06
  • Post subject:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 11/04/2013 22:45
  • Post subject:
I disliked The Soft Bulletin at first, relistened and thought it was amazing - it takes more than one listen because you can build an irrational hatred on something that takes a lot of time to sink into your tastes.

Wish I could unlisten to Boris at Last: Feedbacker though.
That... is shit.
Goodsir
  • Posted: 11/04/2013 23:09
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

Link

One of my favorite movies of all time.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada
  • Posted: 11/04/2013 23:19
  • Post subject: Re: Unlistening To Albums
an_outlaw wrote:
You came here to listen to albums yet maybe you are unlistening to them all the time.

I think if I cant remember what an album sounds like then it's something not worth my time listening to again anyways. If your concept is correct, then every time I listen to a new album that I like, Im forgetting an album that I didnt and thats fine with me.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 11/05/2013 13:06
  • Post subject:
I'm not sure about unlistening, but I think you can put an album on without really listening to it, and therefore never giving it a chance.

Quote:
Outside of perhaps a 2 figure number of albums, how much truly stick with you?

hundreds. look at my year charts. I love all of those albums. that's 30-50 or more records a year. and i still hold on to them strongly enough to know what album it is within the first few notes
  • Visit poster's website