Reality vs Expectation

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
meruizh

Mexico
  • Posted: 11/06/2013 23:12
  • Post subject: Reality vs Expectation
Like that 500 Days of Summer scene, many albums and bands get this two way screen when an album is comming out.
This is crucial for the future of the band, because to many albums with inconsistency between what we expect and reality may lead to the reject of a band's future work.

My question is, with what albums the Reality crushed your expectations of a band you love, or when they won you back.

The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth & Angles, these albums killed my expectations, leading to my hatred of the band. I even havent listen to their newest album, Comedown Machine.

Arctic Monkeys - Humbug & AM, for me at an initial stage, Humbug just seemed terrible, I was 19, expecting the Arctic Monkeys first two albums, and then a listened to Humbug, oh! I was crushed. But AM came and completely understood the Arctic Monkeys intentions finally. Now I consider the Arctic Monkeys one of my favorite bands of all time. (still that feeling with Humbug will always stay in my mind)

R.E.M. - Up. Not that I was expecting a lot of this album, but simply after it, I just stopped listening to any R.E.M new stuff. Depressing

So.. let me know your stories
paladisiac
= music

United States
  • Posted: 11/06/2013 23:57
  • Post subject:
some that come to mind right away...

radiohead "king of limbs" - big letdown for me as radiohead are/were my fav artist. (i still really like the album though, as you can see on that yearly chart o' mine.)

r.e.m. "up" - where i started tuning out too!

paul mccartney "new" - floored expectations for me. awesome pop album. my interest in his stuff of the last 3 (?) decades has been tepid, at best

pearl jam "binaural" / foo fighters "one by one" - too standard rock, not enough alternative
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat
  • Posted: 11/07/2013 00:10
  • Post subject:
The only group that's coming to mind for me is Cut Copy. I really enjoy their earlier, more simple stuff and am emotionally attached to Bright Like Neon Love and In Ghost Colours; I like/liked Zonoscope but really only listen to a little less than a handful of songs off it anymore; I've listened to Free Your Mind once so far (and will again before this weekend when I see them again), but am not sure what to think of it and am leaning towards negative criticism. I actually expected them to continue their somewhat linear trend towards their current sound, but it's just not what I'd hoped.
  • Posted: 11/07/2013 01:14
  • Post subject:
I don't post in 500 Days of Summer-themed threads on principle.

Wait, shit.
zdwyatt

United States
  • Posted: 11/07/2013 01:35
  • Post subject:
The Bad
These were albums, from artists I loved, that made me shy away from everything that came after.

Tori Amos, The Beekeeper
U2, Zooropa
Iron and Wine, Kiss Each Other Clean
R.E.M., New Adventures in Hi-Fi

I do have to say that R.E.M.'s last album was actually pretty good. Those others haven't bounced back yet.

Surprising Albums
These were albums, from artists I thought were just ok, that made me excited for everything that came after.

Deftones, White Pony
Coheed and Cambria, Year of the Black Rainbow
Alison Krauss and Union Station, So Long, So Wrong
The Decemberists, The Crane Wife
  • Visit poster's website
karbutt

United States
  • Posted: 11/07/2013 01:54
  • Post subject:
Fall Out Boy more like Fall Down Boy
i can't stand their newest album. i wasn't crushed per say but rather just very very angry; it sucks so much

even though they've been beaten on this thread already, R.E.M.'s Up

and the third that comes to mind is radiohead after hail to thief (not that it was bad, just wasn't as striking as previous work)
Zapruder

Australia
  • Posted: 11/07/2013 04:22
  • Post subject: Re: Reality vs Expectation
meruizh wrote:
Like that 500 Days of Summer scene, many albums and bands get this two way screen when an album is comming out.
This is crucial for the future of the band, because to many albums with inconsistency between what we expect and reality may lead to the reject of a band's future work.

My question is, with what albums the Reality crushed your expectations of a band you love, or when they won you back.

The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth & Angles, these albums killed my expectations, leading to my hatred of the band. I even havent listen to their newest album, Comedown Machine.

Arctic Monkeys - Humbug & AM, for me at an initial stage, Humbug just seemed terrible, I was 19, expecting the Arctic Monkeys first two albums, and then a listened to Humbug, oh! I was crushed. But AM came and completely understood the Arctic Monkeys intentions finally. Now I consider the Arctic Monkeys one of my favorite bands of all time. (still that feeling with Humbug will always stay in my mind)

R.E.M. - Up. Not that I was expecting a lot of this album, but simply after it, I just stopped listening to any R.E.M new stuff. Depressing

So.. let me know your stories

actually liking AM
anytime at all

ew, stay away!
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 11/07/2013 05:10
  • Post subject:
Saw the title. Came here to post the 500 Days of Summer scene. You beat me to it.

Anyways, Hospice. I wanted to like that album. I really did. It's so "deep", so "emotional" for so many ... its just so BORING to me. That's coming from a Bon Iver fan. It never went anywhere. It was like thirty seconds of Explosions in The Sky on loop with vocals incoherently laid over top. Maybe someday I'll get it.

Everything by Radiohead other than OK Computer. I heard OK Computer early on and LOVED IT. I knew Creep and something off the bends and both were alright, so I went on a Radiohead binge expecting to find my band. Wow. No. Not for me for some reason. Outside of OK Computer, everything is either too dull and repetitive or too experimental and poorly executed.

All At Once by ATE. I loved them. So much. I still do. I can't listen to a single song on that album.

Neon Bible by Arcade Fire. Oh Funeral was great! What's thi ... oh god what is this? Why? No ... no ...

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Silver
  • Posted: 11/07/2013 05:16
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
It was like thirty seconds of Explosions in The Sky on loop with vocals incoherently laid over top. Maybe someday I'll get it.

I don't mean to shit on your opinion and all, but this is the most incorrect thing I've ever seen written about an album.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 11/07/2013 06:01
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:
I don't mean to shit on your opinion and all, but this is the most incorrect thing I've ever seen written about an album.

I think I must've just been in too happy a mood or something when I gave it a shot. I've heard literally nothing else bad about this album and it comes up as recommended in every music program I use. I think I'm going to have to give it a 3rd listen soon.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website