Emo Bands: I need your help!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/08/2013 15:36
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Not sure what happened in the thread previously, but I would never consider the bands in the OP's first post emo. Even by today's standards. Actually, emo has become "lighter" than it used to be in the 90's and 00's. Most of the time you see emo gearing more towards indie rock nowadays.

Anyways, here's a chart of emo I created a while back. i had yet to finish it (and probably won't for a while cause I'm a bit lazy), but it's got enough entries that I feel it's worth a check. http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=11771

EDIT: I also don't consider Pinkerton emo. It's just extremely well made pop or power pop. Actually, Modest Mouse's early work (LCD and their debut, maybe an EP or two) did have midwest emo sounding tracks. A cap n jazz song is similar to "Edit the sad parts". Can't remember which one.

Modest Mouse are fantastic, but I really haven't dived into their earlier stuff before the Moon & Antarctica. (Fantastic album, I can easily see that being #1 on your chart.)
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 11/08/2013 15:58
  • Post subject: Re: Emo Bands: I need your help!
genesisfoxtrot21 wrote:
I was kidding, it was "Sweet Jane", "Rock and Roll", and "Sunday Morning".

You mean you didn't make them listen to the second side of White Light/White Heat?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/08/2013 16:07
Facetious wrote:
You mean you didn't make them listen to the second side of White Light/White Heat?

It would've hurt their poor ears like their music does mine.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 11/08/2013 16:09
genesisfoxtrot21 wrote:
It would've hurt their poor ears like their music does mine.

No, no, seriously, try it.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/08/2013 16:10
Facetious wrote:
No, no, seriously, try it.

I'll do it now, can't wait to see their reaction.
Happymeal

• Posted: 11/08/2013 16:12
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Wow. City of Caterpillar. It' refreshing to hear that kids your age know who they are. My buddy Brandon was in that band and Pg.99 before starting Ghastly City Sleep (who are amazing).

City of Caterpillar could actually be a good bridge but it's not easy to find their music.

Brandon Evans? Wow, that's pretty cool. City of Caterpillar (after discovering them) had become top tier screamo for me. What I love about them is the amount of emotion you can feel from them. I'd also say that Off Minor is a band to check out that has similarities to City of caterpillar. The Heat Death of the Universe is top tier type stuff, definitely something most should check out.

At one point I was also in love with Suffocate For Fuck Sake's Blazing Fires And Helicopters On The Front Page Of The Newspaper. There's A War Going On And I'm Marching In Heavy Boots which I think has a pretty beautiful story.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2013 16:25
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Brandon Evans? Wow, that's pretty cool. City of Caterpillar (after discovering them) had become top tier screamo for me. What I love about them is the amount of emotion you can feel from them. I'd also say that Off Minor is a band to check out that has similarities to City of caterpillar. The Heat Death of the Universe is top tier type stuff, definitely something most should check out.

Yeah Brandon's a great guy. Brilliant musician too. Years ago, I was booking a show and needed a band. A friend suggested this band Ghastly City Sleep, who had only recently begun playing shows. I knew nothing about City of Caterpillar at the time, but when the guitarist from another band playing found out that Brandon was playing, he freaked out. Naturally Ghastly City Sleep blew my mind, and I put put one of their records a couple years back. It's more post/space rock than any of his older projects. still really emotionally moving.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 11/08/2013 16:29
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Yeah Brandon's a great guy. Brilliant musician too. Years ago, I was booking a show and needed a band. A friend suggested this band Ghastly City Sleep, who had only recently begun playing shows. I knew nothing about City of Caterpillar at the time, but when the guitarist from another band playing found out that Brandon was playing, he freaked out. Naturally Ghastly City Sleep blew my mind, and I put put one of their records a couple years back. It's more post/space rock than any of his older projects. still really emotionally moving.

I hadn't heard of Ghastly City sleep previously, I'll be sure to check them out. If you're willing to suggest a starting point, I'll go there, but i'm pretty good with finding one myself.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2013 16:35
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
I hadn't heard of Ghastly City sleep previously, I'll be sure to check them out. If you're willing to suggest a starting point, I'll go there, but i'm pretty good with finding one myself.

They haven't released much yet. 3 releases. New album on the way though.
I'd start with their self-titled debut. it's more post-rock than the other stuff. City of Caterpillar fans loved it more too. It's definitely their most beautiful work
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 11/08/2013 17:18
  • Post subject:
This thread man, this fucking thread
  • Visit poster's website