Uploading track list via a plain text file

View previous topic :: View next topic
NickVolos
Segnahc Reve4

Location: Land of the Argonauts, Centaurs and other such creatures
Greece

• Posted: 11/08/2013 05:56
  • Post subject: Uploading track list via a plain text file
This would be great. I can copy/paste all 90 tracks of a 5-CD classical compilation on a text file, put it in plain old CR/LF format and just upload it. It would save a tons of typing. Much needed.

Or is there such a facility? I noticed a bunch of topics related to CSV download...
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 11/08/2013 10:54
  • Post subject:
No, this functionality doesn't exist at the moment. I'll try & figure out a way of making this a bit quicker/easier. Tbh, I'm not really in favour of uploading files as I can foresee issues with the data in these files not being 'clean' and track numbers or times appearing in track names etc etc. I think I'd be more in favour of having a text area or something that people could paste a listing into, so it's visible to the end user and this could be pre-processed by BEA & then checked by the end user before loading into the database. There'd be a fair bit of work involved in writing something like this, but I agree, it could definitely be of value and make data admin a bit quicker.
  • Visit poster's website
NickVolos
Segnahc Reve4

Location: Land of the Argonauts, Centaurs and other such creatures
Greece

• Posted: 11/08/2013 16:02
  • Post subject:
Sure, a text area will be fine as well. Not sure what's involved in the implementation details; as far as the user specs, the less formatting that needs to be done to the track data the better it would be, for instance listing the tracks one after the other in separate lines would be great (without the need to indicate a track number in front of the track name or further formatting the line in a CSV format for instance). I would think that once the input text boxes are populated with the data from the text area, you would want the user to verify that the tracks were loaded properly from the text area and ask him/her to explicitly commit the data, pretty much as it is done currently, i.e. "Yes, I approve".

Thanks albummaster,

Nick
  • Visit poster's website