• Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
It's just never caught my eye really.

Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 11/23/2013 23:50
  • Post subject:
I'm going to be having some weird ass dreams tonight...

• Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 11/24/2013 00:02
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
Doctor Who as it exists now is a contemptibly smug, Tumblr-friendly, poorly-written slodge and creative wasteland that needs to go away.

Couldn't agree more. I hate it.
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2013 00:18
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
Also Paul McGann is actually reeeeeally good in every Doctor Who thing he did outside of that shitty Doctor Who TV-movie. So, again, check urself fgt.

Here's Paul McGann being great:

Link

That was amazing! I didn't know McGann had done anything outside the TV-movie.

Since everyone is ranking Doctors, I will also

1. Jon Pertwee (dignity, and an affinity for gadgets)
2. Sylvester McCoy (he was the first doctor I watched regularly. After his run was over, my local PBS station went back to the Jon Pertwee episodes, so those two sort of defined the doctor for me.)
3. Tom Baker (most fun to watch)
4. Matt Smith (youthful enthusiasm)
5. Patrick Troughton (nervous energy)
6. David Tennant (he might have been the best actor of the bunch. He has amazing range)
7. Chris Eccleston (the Angry Doctor. His time was too short.)
8. Colin Baker (I thought the over-the-top arrogance sort of worked.)
9. Paul McGann (would probably be higher if I saw more of him)
10. William Hartnell (the old-man irritability gets in the way)
11. Peter Davison (the wussy Doctor)
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/24/2013 02:27
  • Post subject:
Ok doctor ranking time...

1. Chris Eccleston (admittedly I'm biased!)
2. Tom Baker (the first doctor I remember watching week in week out)
3. Patrick Troughton ( the Doctor becomes the Doctor)
4. Jon Pertwee (although struggled with the idea of Wurzel Gummidge as a timelord for a while)
5. David Tennant (bonkers doctor)
6. Peter Davidson (suave doctor that appealed to teenage MSS)
7. Bill Hartnell (not a doctor in the later sense but he brought something)
8. Sylvester McCoy (i'd stopped watching it at this point so am probably unfairly biased against)
9. Paul McGann ( didn't quite buy angsty doctor)
10. Matt Smith ( The 'seriously? He's the Doctor.... Pfuff!!!' doctor)
11. Colin Baker ( put me off doctor who for about 10 years)

Favourite companions are Romana and K-9

Favourite foe has to be the daleks although i was more scared of the cybermen and the autons!
ross93

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/24/2013 21:45
  • Post subject:
Day of the Doctor was very good, look forward to seeing Peter Capaldi in the role. I haven't watched it regularly for quite a few years now. But I think Peter Capaldi will bring something new to the role. Don't think he will play a (too) bonkers doctor like matt smith. He was great in the thick of it and in the loop. I hope the new doctor who will appeal to an older audience
  • Visit poster's website
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/24/2013 21:50
  • Post subject:
ross93 wrote:
Day of the Doctor was very good, look forward to seeing Peter Capaldi in the role. I haven't watched it regularly for quite a few years now. But I think Peter Capaldi will bring something new to the role. Don't think he will play a (too) bonkers doctor like matt smith. He was great in the thick of it and in the loop. I hope the new doctor who will appeal to an older audience

Judging by his cameo, looks like he's gonna be an angry one.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 11/25/2013 03:25
  • Post subject:
DOCTOR WHO 50TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL
OR: HOW I LEARNED TO STOP LOVING AND HATE THE DOC

There was a time when Doctor Who could be favorably compared to the works of Douglas Adams. In the present day, it would probably be a lot more apt to draw comparisons to the works of Dr. Seuss. Perhaps Doctor Who has been on the air for just too long, because now that the series' original fans have become its creators, The Doctor himself has become a fault-less demigod, able to McGuyver himself out of any possible situation in the last possible minute by doing something stupidly convenient or just straight up deus ex machina and thus has become a boring, extremely one-dimensional character. And each time, of course, giving a shitty overly-sentimental speech while a sweeping orchestra cries into their trumpets like someone tricked them into thinking they were re-scoring Sophie's Choice rather than overblown televised fanfiction.

Now, there were certainly some great aspects of last night's special - the visual effects were probably the best they've ever been, both in terms of CGI and practical effects. The Zygon-transformation scene was especially impressive, and the intro sweep over Gallifrey was masterful. And John Hurt was incredible, obviously, not much else to say about him either than that he carries every scene he's in whenever he opens his mouth. As for the writing? It's about as good as we've come to expect from Moffat. A group of villains we've never been properly introduced to with motivations that don't make sense and a plan that makes even less sense try to do something no one cares about while the Doctor is busy dealing with an event that already transpired and everything feels devoid of real consequence.

Why, exactly, do the Zygons want to invade Earth? This is a problem with the series I've had for a long while now, the sheer number of homeless aliens who decide they're going to invade Earth. Why? Are you aware of just how many planets in the galaxy possess NO LIFE AT ALL. But hey, whatever, the Zygons decide to invade Earth. We also learn that the Zygons are time travelers, because their incredibly stupid and convoluted plan involves taking over the Britain in the 16th Century, then travelling to the future from there so they can conquer present day Earth. ...why? Why not just conquer the past? If you conquer the past, wouldn't that make the present conquered anyway? Even if it didn't work that way somehow, why would procuring present day Earth be more important that procuring 16th Century Earth? Wouldn't it just be needlessly more difficult, what with the internet and cruise missiles? And if you can travel through time, why not just travel back before humans even evolved? Or after they've all died? Or why not just travel back to a time when your planet wasn't destroyed?

Spoiler territory, but what was that temporary memory scrambler deus ex machina thing? And isn't freezing Galifrey so they can't live anymore conceptually exactly the same as killing them all? And doesn't them not killing everyone not matter because in their personal histories they're still guilty of committing genocide and thus still have to bear that guilt regardless? I know that the Doctor is always going on about how "time is complicated", but isn't this just clearly a device so that Moffat can concoct arbitrary rules and then sometimes dissolve them at a moment's notice? Like, remember when River Song refuses to kill the Doctor and so time itself "dies" and all this crazy shit happens? That's the death of one guy, and apparently not executing it will end time, but then stop a genocide of several billion people and the time-stream is all hunky-dory. I could fucking go on all day about this.

I just. Can't. Deal.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 11/25/2013 07:17
  • Post subject:
I was gonna say 'get over it' but you're actually right on every point. Just to point out some good - Smith and Tennant had excellent chemistry together and were a delightful double act also it just shows how incredible Smith is he just shines everytime he is on screen - will be sad to see him go.

Also how fucking annoying was Elizabeth I? Like seriously wanted her to to be decapitated.
ross93

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/25/2013 09:33
  • Post subject:
ButterThumbz wrote:
Judging by his cameo, looks like he's gonna be an angry one.

It wasn't even a full cameo, all we seen were his eyes, but damn they were some angry eyes. This guys means business, maybe peter capaldi will do less fucking around and just get the job done.
  • Visit poster's website