Messages in music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/21/2013 18:34
  • Post subject:
"Meat Is Murder": I'm much more shocked by the overpathetic use of sawbuzz samples and cows' dying moos than by the overall theme frankly. Still a great song, very well written. And I'm a devoted meat eater, never miss a chance.
  • Visit poster's website
meezus

• Posted: 11/21/2013 19:25
  • Post subject: Re: Messages in music
meccalecca wrote:
Yeah I don't buy that whole id explanation behind Kanye's lyrics. It's like perpetuating a stereotype by mocking it. I see no point to it all. Seems more like an excuse for his misogynist fantasies and god complex. Don't get me wrong. I think Yeezus has some great moments.

Although I stand by what I said (just that I personally forgive it for it), I agree with you (especially the part I bolded). I think he's done it over and over, and it's not particularly original -- still, I just don't mind it for whatever reason in that instance. The performance matches the lyrics. I like the anger in it.

tekin wrote:
I don't have any other choice but to lolwut you here.

Meh. Okay. I'm not passionate enough about the album to defend it. I'm just saying I forgive it because, for whatever reason, I happen to like it. Like I said, I'm not particularly compelled to defend it beyond that though. (However, that Corolla line is hardly the worst from the album.)
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 11/21/2013 19:36
  • Post subject:
If I don't like what an album is saying I throw it away. It matters greatly what is being sung for me.

• Posted: 11/21/2013 21:29
  • Post subject:
Give me the nastiest worst messages you want. I'm to the point where I just want to take in everything. Life wouldn't be what it is without the nasty terrible stuff! I'll take hate and I'll take love as long as I like the music and the aesthetics of it all. What is my opinion but my own? Other opinions are fun and interesting, lemme hear 'em. I don't think so much of myself as to think my opinion should immediately shut out others, even if they fundamentally disagree with my own.

I think every view and feeling and action has a basic psychological center that is common between all humans, and thus it isn't hard at all to connect with it. If you hear a hateful album, hell, tap into the hate inside yourself and you can appreciate it. Or at the very least you can just appreciate it from afar without tapping into it yourself, but that isn't as immersive.

Like, come on guys, admit that you love serial killers. What good would stories be if there were no crazies? Crazies are interesting. And sympathizing with crazies is a good exercise. I admit racists and sexists and such complicate things, since they just really suck. But if you've built enough sacred-racist-cult mystique maybe I'll listen to and possibly enjoy your music, haha. Still think you suck though. I'm talking to you Peste Noire! Wink

You can say as much ugly stuff as you want as long as you present it well. It is all about aesthetics and mood with music. If it was literature it would be different, but music is all about aesthetics and mood. As long as the lyrics help build a mood or aesthetic, I'm fine with any of the views presented.

Note: This is slightly* sensationalized and I'm not as sure of what I'm saying as I sound, but I think I agree with myself for the most part**.

*by slightly I mean very

**I think
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/21/2013 21:36
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
Like, come on guys, admit that you love serial killers. What good would stories be if there were no crazies? Crazies are interesting.

There's a huuuuge difference between being fascinated by something and liking it. I'm fascinated by guy who took a dump on the NYC subway platform. But I don't like him. Train wrecks are almost impossible to look away from, but I'd never hope for one or say I enjoyed it.

I think this gets into the realm of "guilty pleasures". There's some things you just feel dirty listening to or watching, but can't help yourself. I used to listen to GG Allin in high school because that shit was as outrageous as it gets. But I never felt like I liked him in the same sense I like something like Blur
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/21/2013 21:42
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
There's a huuuuge difference between being fascinated by something and liking it. I'm fascinated by guy who took a dump on the NYC subway platform. But I don't like him. Train wrecks are almost impossible to look away from, but I'd never hope for one or say I enjoyed it.

I think this gets into the realm of "guilty pleasures". There's some things you just feel dirty listening to or watching, but can't help yourself. I used to listen to GG Allin in high school because that shit was as outrageous as it gets. But I never felt like I liked him in the same sense I like something like Blur

Well I agree with you, really. XD Like I said, I only partially agree with what I said. Regardless, those are ideas I have, even if I don't agree with them in every way. Razz Honestly I wouldn't ever want to listen to someone like GG Allin. XD Lol, but that is just because of how he presents himself. That is kind of what I was saying. If you present yourself in a disgusting way to match your disgusting ideas then I won't like your music. However, if you present your ideas with certain imagery than I'll more likely enjoy the music. It is almost like propaganda, except with music I'm not taking in the ideas, just the moods and feelings.
I mean, that's how the world works. It is how people present their ideas, not what the ideas actually are. I think that is a theme in history..I mean Hitler presented himself in a certain way that got him followers and to this day neo-nazis are still allured by that imagery and ideal regardless of how disgusting the idea actually was below the fluff. And music is nothing but a mood and image and aesthetic, so any messages are secondary, unless the artist makes them primary, in which case that probably tarnishes the aesthetic and mood. Does any of this make sense? XD
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/21/2013 21:49
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
Does any of this make sense? XD

Makes a lot of sense to me. Nice packaging can convince you so like an otherwise dull product. I think it happens a lot in music.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/21/2013 21:52
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Makes a lot of sense to me. Nice packaging can convince you so like an otherwise dull product. I think it happens a lot in music.

Mmhmm...I just don't see ideas as important aspects of music. It is the mood and tone and atmosphere...So if an artist has that done but their ideas fall flat, or offend, what is the big deal? I think that is my point in a more concise form.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/21/2013 21:55
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
Mmhmm...I just don't see ideas as important aspects of music. It is the mood and tone and atmosphere...So if an artist has that done but their ideas fall flat, or offend, what is the big deal? I think that is my point in a more concise form.

I find it hard to separate style from substance. If something is all style and no substance it's hard to ignore.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/21/2013 22:00
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I find it hard to separate style from substance. If something is all style and no substance it's hard to ignore.

Ideas aren't synonymous with substance. An album can have substance without ideas. Musical substance! That is what post-rock thrives off of. I think music deals with general feelings and gists of things and imagery and common themes. And you can listen to an album by a white nationalist and get enthralled by their music and passion without agreeing with them, right? I mean, just because you disagree with a person, even to a fundamental level, doesn't mean there isn't substance in their music.