Best band Lyrically

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
nutso42

• Posted: 12/04/2013 02:45
  • Post subject:
There's many solo artists I'd put here, but I'll focus on bands.

Neutral Milk Hotel
The Flaming Lips
Pink Floyd
Mastodon
SingingPeasant96
Coming-of-Age

Unknown

• Posted: 12/04/2013 03:44
  • Post subject:
Top 3

Belle & Sebastian
The Magnetic Fields
The Smiths
yourself

• Posted: 12/04/2013 04:05
  • Post subject:
At the moment 16 Horsepower or Wovenhand for me (same guy so it doesn't matter which).

I don't know why, but stuff like this I really enjoy:

I am an honest man when I ain't lyin'
I am a living man when I commence to dyin'
Bring it down bring it down on me, put me on a high horse so everyone can see
Then kick the nag an leave me be, swingin' from the tree
SamuelPear

France

• Posted: 12/04/2013 09:07
  • Post subject:
On the top of my mind, just woke up ...

Arcade Fire
Alex Turner
Julian Casablancas
Robin Pecknold

Norman Bates wrote:
SamuelPear a le swag
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 12/04/2013 16:54
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
I'm not saying Dylan isn't good, but to believe he's not overrated is to be infatuated with him. Some publications (mostly American) and UK bookies consider him a contender for the Nobel Prize in Literature (though a poor one). Words are words and I'd be lying if I said several musical lyrics don't touch me on the same level as literary works, but frankly I think it's insulting to believe Dylan's lyrics are the best in all artforms with words, especially considering the politics of that prize. The Nobel prize committee has stated outright that it's biased against American literature for being too insular, and maybe it's partly because popular opinion here considers Dylan a contender, implicitly snubbing Pynchon, Roth, Delillo, McCarthy, and other great American writers that already have to compete with tens if not over a hundred of other great living literary figures across the globe. Not to mention that some people actually expect Dylan to be the first musical figure awarded that prize. It's also incredibly predictable to see Dylan in these lyrics-based threads just as it is to see five Beatles albums top a best albums chart (which seems to be an OK enough basis to call them overrated). Of course, whether or not he is "overrated" comes down to personal appreciation of his writing, but if you disagree that the weight he is given does not balance with his work, I simply can't take you seriously.

Eh, I'm a massive Dylan fanboy, as you probably know, but I wouldn't choose to read his words from a page. That said, I have yet to come across a lyricist whose words I would read, for pleasure, from a page (although I recently have taken to reading 'Gustavo' sans music, so perhaps Kozelek, but there's not a lot of his stuff that I think I'd enjoy in a similar way). I don't think Dylan deserves a Nobel Prize for Literature, nor do I think any first-and-foremost lyricist does, though Leonard Cohen would certainly be in with a shout. However, if the panel were stupid enough to give the award to a lyricist, then I don't see why Dylan wouldn't be first choice. I get the arguments for Newsom, but for me she's never written anything as biting as 'Ballad of a Thin Man', no story as interesting as 'Tangled Up In Blue', nothing on the same level as 'Visions of Johanna' or 'Simple Twist of Fate' or even 'Po' Boy'. But these things are subjective. My favourite poet is Seamus Heaney, whilst others would certainly prefer Keats or Yeats or Auden. So yeah, I don't think any song lyricist should be mentioned among the great novelists and poets, because it's a totally different medium. One is made for reading from a page, the other for being performed alongside music. But if people insist on putting a lyricist on that pedestal (which, for some strange reason, they do), then for me it should be Bob Dylan.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2013 17:00
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Eh, I'm a massive Dylan fanboy, as you probably know, but I wouldn't choose to read his words from a page. That said, I have yet to come across a lyricist whose words I would read, for pleasure, from a page (although I recently have taken to reading 'Gustavo' sans music, so perhaps Kozelek, but there's not a lot of his stuff that I think I'd enjoy in a similar way). I don't think Dylan deserves a Nobel Prize for Literature, nor do I think any first-and-foremost lyricist does, though Leonard Cohen would certainly be in with a shout. However, if the panel were stupid enough to give the award to a lyricist, then I don't see why Dylan wouldn't be first choice. I get the arguments for Newsom, but for me she's never written anything as biting as 'Ballad of a Thin Man', no story as interesting as 'Tangled Up In Blue', nothing on the same level as 'Visions of Johanna' or 'Simple Twist of Fate' or even 'Po' Boy'. But these things are subjective. My favourite poet is Seamus Heaney, whilst others would certainly prefer Keats or Yeats or Auden. So yeah, I don't think any song lyricist should be mentioned among the great novelists and poets, because it's a totally different medium. One is made for reading from a page, the other for being performed alongside music. But if people insist on putting a lyricist on that pedestal (which, for some strange reason, they do), then for me it should be Bob Dylan.

Agree with everything you've said here.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 12/04/2013 17:02
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Agree with everything you've said here.

Your favourite poet is Heaney too?
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2013 17:07
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Your favourite poet is Heaney too?

Ok. well not everything, but the main points
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 12/04/2013 17:18
  • Post subject:
Mancsoulsister wrote:
'When you punish a person for dreaming his dream, don't expect him to thank or forgive you'

That's umm . . . bad.
Happymeal

• Posted: 12/04/2013 17:26
  • Post subject:
Mancsoulsister wrote:
'When you punish a person for dreaming his dream, don't expect him to thank or forgive you'

Possibly my favorite line of all time. All Hail, despite production value being non - existent, is one of the best albums to grace my ears. The lyrics are all so beautifully written and personal.

EDIT: That particular song ends so perfectly with the "Hail satan" portion.