BEA Overall Chart

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Behrus58

Iran

• Posted: 12/17/2013 15:11
  • Post subject: BEA Overall Chart
I thought we need a topic like this where we can just give our opinions on the overall chart.The main reason is to prevent the Scattering of the discussions about out overall chart.So we can all ideas in one topic.

For starting this topic , i thought of mentioning rankings in the overall ranking which you think are "too" unfair.
Here are some of mine :

I always thought that Ys is behind some albums that don't deserve to be higher that Ys at all !

Ys by Joanna Newsom

Some albums like :

Back In Black by AC/DC

Appetite For Destruction by Guns N' Roses

Silent Alarm by Bloc Party

Have you checked pablo honey's rank ?

Pablo Honey by Radiohead

It's surely Thom yorke's weakest work.But Now check this :

Amok by Atoms For Peace

It needs to be higher

And now check these albums :

Music Has The Right To Children by Boards Of Canada

Toxicity by System Of A Down

how can SOAD's album be higher than MHTRTC ?!

P.S this is just a matter of opinion! And I just brought this up to show how this topic works.
Any opinion about our overall chart can be discussed here.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 12/17/2013 15:15
  • Post subject:
I think the overall chart is one of the worst features of BEA. The members can provide as a far better source for music.
nutso42

• Posted: 12/17/2013 15:17
  • Post subject:
I don't have too strong of feelings about the overall Albums chart, but I think on the overall Bands chart, Nirvana and Velvet Underground could use some switching. Then it'd look like:

The Beatles
Radiohead
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Bob Dylan
David Bowie
Velvet Underground
Rolling Stones
Arcade Fire
Nirvana
U2
The Clash
The Who
Pixies
Beach Boys
The Smiths
Jimi Hendrix
Bruce Springsteen
Neil Young
The Doors

MUCH better.
Kiki

• Posted: 12/17/2013 15:17
  • Post subject:
The overall chart is the best part of the website as it is the whole point of BEA.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2013 15:37
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:
I think the overall chart is one of the worst features of BEA. The members can provide as a far better source for music.

It's the bait. We need it. What's the fun of discovering all the most interesting music from one place. I agree that the member lists become far more useful for those looking to expand their knowledge and listening experience, but there needs to be reward for being an explorer.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/17/2013 15:54
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
It's the bait. We need it. What's the fun of discovering all the most interesting music from one place. I agree that the member lists become far more useful for those looking to expand their knowledge and listening experience, but there needs to be reward for being an explorer.

I think Poe just means we could have a better selection of albums, the overall chart is needed of course Smile That's basically the point of the website. It's just that we have some bad choices for 'the best ever' in there.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/17/2013 16:00
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:

Agree, I get much more enjoyment from browsing member lists, or picking recs from the forum. The overall chart serves a purpose for the curious, but individual charts & comments contain the personality.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2013 16:01
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I think Poe just means we could have a better selection of albums, the overall chart is needed of course Smile That's basically the point of the website. It's just that we have some bad choices for 'the best ever' in there.

I don't disagree with that. Of course it could be better. It's just the post popular.

I've considered the idea that we could up-vote specific user's impact on the overall charts. Like say we were to all vote that Norman and The Poe's ranking should have a far greater impact on the overall chart than someone who just opened an account and has the same old stuff in their top 20. But this sort of member favoritism would destroy BEA. But it would be interesting.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 12/17/2013 16:10
  • Post subject:
My biggest concern for the Overall chart is how polarized the top albums are from all the others.

OK Computer, #1, is in nearly 1,500 more charts than For Emma Forever Ago, which is #100. That's a huge number. Based on common sense, choosing 100 albums from the millions released should be almost impossible, albums in the top 100 ought to be shifting all the time, but instead they just remain very firmly rooted.

This website attracts a lot of musical bias towards artists like Radiohead, The Beatles, Arcade Fire - fans of these bands tend to fancy themselves as elitist music listeners without having heard a much greater range of music, and that's fine. I've seen a large number of people come to this site, including myself, who had very familiar charts to begin with, but the website helped shape their musical taste into something unique. The problem is, most of these new charts will be abandoned without contributing anything further.

The reason OK Computer is in over 1,800 charts is because a lot of people will come on the site, create a chart that's just a re-ordered version of the top 100, and then leave the site. I would hazard a guess that a good deal of the those 1,800 charts have been long forgotten, but still have just as much impact on the overall chart.

I don't know if this can be solved. Making abandoned charts redundant would probably put off a lot of people from creating a chart in the first place, which is a shame, but it would certainly help declutter the results.
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 12/17/2013 16:43
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

This website attracts a lot of musical bias towards artists like Radiohead, The Beatles, Arcade Fire - fans of these bands tend to fancy themselves as elitist music listeners without having heard a much greater range of music, and that's fine.

i can't speak for others but i've heard a wide range of music and still really like those artists. I'm not sure the "elite music listener" thing has to do with ranking those artists on this site. I think if you believe you're truly elite, then you're not going to hang out on BEA, but who knows..

Puncture Repair wrote:

The reason OK Computer is in over 1,800 charts is because a lot of people will come on the site, create a chart that's just a re-ordered version of the top 100, and then leave the site. I would hazard a guess that a good deal of the those 1,800 charts have been long forgotten, but still have just as much impact on the overall chart.

This is quite possible. But i can't speak for everyone else. I've been developing my own albums chart long before BEA was a glimmer in al gore's eye.

Puncture Repair wrote:

I don't know if this can be solved. Making abandoned charts redundant would probably put off a lot of people from creating a chart in the first place, which is a shame, but it would certainly help declutter the results.

Maybe if the last login was over 3 years ago or 5 years ago or some designated long time period, then those charts don't count against the total? Not including outdated charts would help protect the overall chart against those that are "one and done" but hurt the site's boast of containing "umpteen million" charts which possibly draws newcomers in.
  • Visit poster's website