72%  [47]
Never
4%
 4%  [3]
Total Votes : 65

Wumbo

• Posted: 05/20/2010 04:08
  • Post subject: Foreign language listening
When you listen to an album in a foreign language (that is, a language which you do not understand), what are your experiences? Do you look up the lyrics immediately, or simply admire the tone and skill of the vocalist?

I listen to a lot of music in languages I don't understand, and most of the time I do not bother to find translated lyrics. It seems to transform the vocalist into just another instrument, and allows me to devise my own meaning for the song, which I enjoy. I find that if I am thinking a lot about an emotional event, it is easier for me to transpose my emotions onto a vocalist I cannot understand. It would be possible just to find a work without vocals, but I think that there are certain things the human voice does that just aren't mimiced well by any style of music.

In cases where I do look up the lyrics, sometimes I'm very surprised. Either by what the song was actually about, or by how hilarious lyrics that I've been enjoying relatively seriously are.

I think listening to music with lyrics you don't understand is a good experience many people should try Smile

[There's a lot of 'post your favourite whatsit and don't bother reading anyone else's replies threads, so I thought I'd try to make one to promote discussion. Sorry if it seems forced!]
  • Visit poster's website
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 05/20/2010 04:23
  • Post subject: Re: Foreign language listening
Wumbo wrote:
When you listen to an album in a foreign language (that is, a language which you do not understand), what are your experiences? Do you look up the lyrics immediately, or simply admire the tone and skill of the vocalist?

I listen to a lot of music in languages I don't understand, and most of the time I do not bother to find translated lyrics. It seems to transform the vocalist into just another instrument, and allows me to devise my own meaning for the song, which I enjoy. I find that if I am thinking a lot about an emotional event, it is easier for me to transpose my emotions onto a vocalist I cannot understand. It would be possible just to find a work without vocals, but I think that there are certain things the human voice does that just aren't mimiced well by any style of music.

In cases where I do look up the lyrics, sometimes I'm very surprised. Either by what the song was actually about, or by how hilarious lyrics that I've been enjoying relatively seriously are.

I think listening to music with lyrics you don't understand is a good experience many people should try Smile

[There's a lot of 'post your favourite whatsit and don't bother reading anyone else's replies threads, so I thought I'd try to make one to promote discussion. Sorry if it seems forced!]

Sigur ros - Ágætis Byrjun .. I dont want to know what the lyrics are, this album on solely musical merit is .. Vast, and Ghost like .. its amazing ..
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2010 04:29
  • Post subject:
Often I can't understand the artists who in theory are singing in my native language. Sometimes I will look up the lyrics for CDs I own. More frequently I do this with opera (get the libreta out) at least on the first listen.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Wumbo

• Posted: 05/20/2010 04:34
  • Post subject:
Very true haha. Sometimes all I hear is the chorus because the way a song is sung is too hard to follow.
  • Visit poster's website
Antons19

Latvia

• Posted: 05/29/2010 06:49
  • Post subject:
I am listening music from scandinavian countries very often!
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2010 18:54
  • Post subject:
Recently, I've been getting into more "world" music. My friend turned me on to Rachid Taha and I'm starting to get into tropicalia and bossa nova type stuff. I've been listening to Gilberto Gil a bit lately.
  • Visit poster's website
btener11
Expert Treasure Hunter

United States

• Posted: 08/03/2011 19:11
  • Post subject:
Most people who answer sometimes probably meant Sigur Ros...But listening to Norwegian/Swedish black metal in the original language is another story. Since the lyrics are nearly incomprehensible already, the difference in cadence and tone between languages is actually MORE obvious. Very interesting means of comparison.
boboland1203

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2011 16:37
  • Post subject: Foreign language listening
My girlfriend introduced me to Thai (Thailand) music over a year ago and I have loved it ever since. I asked her about a few of the songs and she told me their general meaning. Other then that, I have no clue. I agree with Wumbo, maybe I enjoy them more because I don't know.

Here's one of my favorite Thai songs.
Artist: ต่าย อรทัย
Song: สาละวัน...อย่าลืมสัญญา

Link

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2011 16:41
  • Post subject:
Listen to plenty of music in spanish as the rhythm of a lot of that stuff can't be found elsewhere. Especially suitable in summer.

Also, there is a lot of good stuff from the Balkans, such as Goran Bregovic, Fanfare Ciocarlia, Kocani Orkestar
  • Visit poster's website
kidamnesiac

• Posted: 08/04/2011 16:44
  • Post subject:
the fact that so many people need to know the lyrics or understand what the singer is singing is 18 percent of the reason popular radio is so fucking horrible. Die motherfuckers.
  • Visit poster's website