Music Festivals Experience!

View previous topic :: View next topic
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 01/15/2014 19:51
  • Post subject: Music Festivals Experience!
In the "Summer Music Festivals" thread they mentioned that a music festival experience thread has never been brought up. So here it is. Tell us every single aspect of your trip, if you recommend it? or whatever you wan't to tell us about it.

Corona Capital (Mexico):
Well it is the biggest international music festival in Mexico. It's been around since 4 years ago, and it has grown a lot. Just last year we had bands like, QOTSA, Deadmau5, Phoenix, The XX, Arctic Monkeys, Sigur Ros, Vampire Weekend, The Breeders, Travis, Blondie, Grimes etc etc. It is a city festival, so there no camping needed at all. You just go, stay there for 12 hours and go happily to sleep to your bed, and come back for the next day. You can compare this to festivals like Austin City Limits in the US. My favorite festival moment, was whem I saw Portishead, it was the only concert they played that year, back in 2011. It was mind blowing.

Vive Latino (Mexico):
Now this is the biggest Latin Music Festival in the World. For four days, bands all over Latin America come to Mexico just for this festival. Gustavo Cerati, Cafe Tacuba, Enrique Bunbury, Los Amigos Invisibles, Babasónicos, Zoe etc. But the amazing thing about this festival it gets international acts just to complement the line-up. This year we are getting Arcade Fire, Cut Copy, etc. And in previous years we had, Blur, Devendra Banhart, Morrisey, Kasabian, The National. Again is a city festival, so it's pretty comfortable.

Main Square Festival (France): My first European festival, honestly I thought it was brilliant because of two things, I saw two of my favorite bands ever, playing in the main stage, one right after the other one; The National and Arcade Fire. And two because Win Butler actually joined The National for Start a War, which is probably my favorite song of them. This led me to tears. Other than that, it was great. Small, only a couple of stages, friendly city and with a nice camping site. I really enjoyed it.

My dream, which I hope I fulfill this year, is to go to GLASTONBURY. The mother of all festivals.
Dingerbell

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/15/2014 20:04
  • Post subject: Re: Music Festivals Experience!
meruizh wrote:
My dream, which I hope I fulfill this year, is to go to GLASTONBURY. The mother of all festivals.

If you don't already have tickets, then good luck.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2014 23:50
  • Post subject:
Well, the two times I've planned on going to the local radio station's festival, I had to cancel.

Then this year, they had another one at Christmas, which I got a ticket to ... and had to cancel.

So experience has been lackluster.

I went to the Bridge Benefit if that counts, it was I think 9 bands? IDK, a bunch of bands, but since it was just one stage over two days, I think it's more just a concert.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 01/15/2014 23:52
  • Post subject:
I once heard two Norwegian girls talk about how someone had shat in their sleeping bag
samistake2ice
General Grievous Angel

United States

• Posted: 01/16/2014 02:58
  • Post subject:
There is a festival in Manhattan, Ks, USA called "Country Stampede." If you EVER find yourself in this wonderful city in the Summertime, do ANYTHING else. Go swimming at Pillsbury Crossing, take a trip out to Tuttle Creek Lake, Hit 18 holes at Flint Hills Golf Club, or get plastered down in Aggieville, but do not, DO NOT, go to this Clusterfuck of an event.

First of all it is headlined, by some of the worst, carbon copy, shallow sounding, bro-country that is out there today. Second, if even 1/4 of the people in attendance gave a damn about music, instead of chemically altering their existence, it might host some of the largest attended stages of any US festival.

My story starts, as most foolish stories do, by thinking that I was some how better (more festively skilled) than a bunch of liquored up rednecks. I knew what acts that I wanted to see, and planned on going to acts that my friends wanted to see. Surprisingly, this didn't account for a large portion of the weekend.

To make a short story long, on the hike back to campsite from the stage, I separate from my party. It's well into the night and I had a pretty solid whiskey buzz, but I generally make friends pretty easy (especially at festivals) so i decided to roam around the campsite alone. After stopping and chatting for a couple hrs at a few camp areas, i start to make my way back in the direction of my own campsite.

Thats when I was thrown up against a truck, where a roid-raging drop out, last resort, army private, broke a stick over his knee and thrust the end into my throat. A couple of his buddies took shots at my face and broke a few of my back teeth while their trailer trash girlfriends laughed. I was left in the mud to make the most of the rest of the weekend.

I made it back to the camp site, but it wasn't until the morning until I realized the damage done to my face and neck.

I've said it before, I love festivals, and that experience will never keep me from attending them. But, you have to have your wits about you. That is, really, my only bad experience in a decade of Music Festivals I have plenty of great stories of hooking up in Porta-johns and meeting folks with backstage connections, but that story tends to stand stand out.

Check out my new review/pop-culture site MAD DISTRACTION
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 01/16/2014 03:16
  • Post subject:
Didn't realize you were in Houston. Do you ever make your way out to Austin for SXSW, ACL, Fun Fun Fun Fest, or Texas Psych Fest?
samistake2ice
General Grievous Angel

United States

• Posted: 01/16/2014 04:28
  • Post subject:
Typically go to ACL every year and SXSW a few times. Fun fun fun, I've yet to go to, but its been on my radar for a while. I'd never even heard of psych fest before today. For the past couple years I've really enjoyed Free Press Summer Fest in downtown Houston. Logistically, the crowds can be hard to account for, because of the size of the park they have been using, but the bands have gotten better each year and the atmosphere is really great. Looking forward to it growing and maturing.

Are you in Texas?

Check out my new review/pop-culture site MAD DISTRACTION
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 01/16/2014 04:37
  • Post subject:
samistake2ice wrote:
Are you in Texas?

I'm in Austin now. When fall, and FFF Fest and ACL, roll around, I'll give you my info to try to meet up. I don't usually go to SXSW as it's so insider-based and too crowded.