Julia Roberts, August: Osage County
June Squibb, Nebraska

Best Director
David O. Russell, American Hustle
Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity
Alexander Payne, Nebraska
Steve McQueen, 12 Years a Slave
Martin Scorsese, The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Foreign Language Film - don't have a should win as I haven't seen any of them.
The Broken Circle Breakdown (Belgium)
The Great Beauty (Italy)
The Hunt (Denmark)
The Missing Picture (Cambodia)
Omar (Palestine)

Best Adapted Screenplay
Before Midnight - Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke
Captain Phillips - Billy Ray
Philomena - Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope
12 Years a Slave - John Ridley
The Wolf of Wall Street - Terence Winter

Best Original Screenplay
American Hustle - Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell
Blue Jasmine - Woody Allen
Dallas Buyers Club - Craig Borten & Melisa Wallack
Her - Spike Jonze
Nebraska - Bob Nelson

Best Animated Feature Film - only seen The Croods which I did love
The Croods
Despicable Me 2
Ernest & Celestine
Frozen
The Wind Rises

Best Production Design
American Hustle
Gravity
The Great Gatsby
Her
12 Years a Slave

Best Cinematography
The Grandmaster
Gravity
Inside Llewyn Davis
Nebraska
Prisoners

Best Sound Mixing
Captain Phillips
Gravity
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Inside Llewyn Davis
Lone Survivor

Best Sound Editing
All Is Lost
Captain Phillips
Gravity
Lone Survivor

Best Original Score
The Book Thief - John Williams
Gravity - Steven Price
Her - William Butler and Owen Pallett
Philomena - Alexandre Desplat
Saving Mr. Banks - Thomas Newman

Best Original Song
Alone Yet Not Alone from Alone Yet Not Alone - Bruce Broughton and Dennis Spiegel
Happy from Despicable Me 2 - Pharrell Williams
Let It Go from Frozen - Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez;
The Moon Song from Her - Karen O and Spike Jonze
Ordinary Love from Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom - Paul Hewson, Dave Evans, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen

Best Costume
American Hustle
The Grandmaster
The Great Gatsby
The Invisible Woman
12 Years a Slave

Best Documentary Feature
The Act of Killing
Cutie and the Boxer
Dirty Wars
The Square
20 Feet from Stardom

Best Film Editing
American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity
12 Years a Slave

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Dallas Buyers Club
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa
The Lone Ranger

Best Visual Effects
Gravity
Iron Man 3
The Lone Ranger
Star Trek Into Darkness

Still gotta see Nebraska, Philomena and Wolf Of Wall STreet of the bigguns. And the whole foreign film lineup.

Last edited by Wombi on 01/20/2014 06:53; edited 4 times in total

• Posted: 01/17/2014 00:01
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
or after it seems.

Good one lol.

Jhereko wrote:
Are you serious? Just from the last few years Toy Story 3 and Up say hi. American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street and Silver Linings Playbook and Midnight In Paris say hi.

what sort of comedy do you want to see them nominate? The Hangover III? It's these kind of generic criticisisms that bear no weight.

I guess I need to watch my wording around here. How's this:

"One thing that's turned me off the Oscars for years now is its consistent failure to give AS MUCH recognition to comedies or animated films."

Now you know I don't mean literally every single animated film or comedy, since clearly that's what I meant the first time Rolling Eyes

Anyway, no, I'm not talking about The Hangover franchise. Some that would come to mind would be the Muppets movie (despite being one of the most critically acclaimed films of the year it received one nomination), The World's End or the other two films in that series, some would argue Spring Breakers (I haven't seen it and can't say), etc. I could go on but I honestly don't care that much. As for animated films, everything Miyazaki directed says hi. In fact, aside from the two you mentioned, there hasn't been an animated film nominated for best picture since...well, I'm not sure. I went back as far as 1998 and still hadn't found one. Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle have comedic elements but they're both pretty dramatic as far as comedies go (if you'd even label them as such).

So yes, some comedies and animated films are recognized (I'm not sure how it wasn't blatantly obvious to you that my comment wasn't intended to say otherwise), but if you haven't noticed a bias towards more dramatic films at the Oscars then I'm not sure who you're kidding.

Lighten up.
Wombi

• Posted: 01/17/2014 00:13
  • Post subject:
[quote="swedenman"but if you haven't noticed a bias towards more dramatic films at the Oscars then I'm not sure who you're kidding.[/quote]

Compared to other big films awards bodies (BAFTA, Golden Globes, Broadcast Critics etc) not at all. They actually do much better in that department than they perhaps could.

Sorry it just pisses me of when people throw baseless accusations at an awards body just because their faves didn't make it.. It's a bit childish. Unless the awards body is so out of touch that it's a joke (the grammys) it's just a matter of 6000 people having a different opinion to you.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 01/17/2014 00:17
  • Post subject:
Oscars, while probably (and deservedly so) the most relevant award out there, still shouldn't be set as a "benchmark" when rating movies. While you can't say it downright ignores comedies, there's still a certain "type" of films they prefer. Obviously, it is also heavily biased towards murrican films, so there's that...
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 01/17/2014 00:20
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Also, all haters of Brave are a bunch of sexists. #faxonly #allmyopinionscomingoutatonce

In all seriousness, I actually hated Brave because I wanted it to be more feminist and thought it was a fucking cop out on that front.

#ShutYouUpCISScum

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 01/17/2014 00:27
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
[quote="swedenman"but if you haven't noticed a bias towards more dramatic films at the Oscars then I'm not sure who you're kidding.

Compared to other big films awards bodies (BAFTA, Golden Globes, Broadcast Critics etc) not at all. They actually do much better in that department than they perhaps could.

Sorry it just pisses me of when people throw baseless accusations at an awards body just because their faves didn't make it.. It's a bit childish. Unless the awards body is so out of touch that it's a joke (the grammys) it's just a matter of 6000 people having a different opinion to you.[/quote]

I wasn't trying to express disapproval because their tastes don't match mine, though I suppose I can see why it came off that way. I mean, I'm not that bothered about Frozen not being nominated, I was just disappointed 'cuz it was one of my favorites. I was more trying to express disapproval of what definitely appears to me as a consistent bias towards certain types if movies. You are correct in saying every other awards show expresses a similar bias, but that doesn't really make it better imo lol

Of course it doesn't really matter in real life, so I'm not legitimately upset or anything.
Wombi

• Posted: 01/17/2014 00:30
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Oscars, while probably (and deservedly so) the most relevant award out there, still shouldn't be set as a "benchmark" when rating movies.

No, I absolutely agree with that and the line 'well it won the oscar so it must be better' is of course incredibly stupid. But same with BEAMAs peeps complain every year and it's like do you not have any perspective that other people besides you have opinions and are voting in this? I mean I invented the thing and half my top ten didn't get a look in anywhere - but who cares? They're not the sort of albums that get a consensus (unlike Reflektor, Modern Vampires etc). Same for the oscars - consensus films are going to make it. That's why not as many comedies will get in because not every comedy panders to everyone's sense of humour whereas most dramas are relatable to most people. In fact Her is pretty lucky it got in considering its uniqueness as a film.

EDIT: woops, probably went off on a tangent there </3
Saoirse

• Posted: 01/17/2014 18:48
  • Post subject:
Yeah, kind of boring tbh, but the oscars are never known for their gutsiness. Perhaps not a huge surprise Inside Llewyn didn't get nominated, even if the Coens certainly have gotten plenty of recognition in the recent past. And I was slightly hoping to be wonderfully surprised by an Adele Exarchapolous nomination but like that was ever going to happen, even with the academy being mostly a heterosexual male (albeit older) dominated organization
ross93

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/19/2014 21:02
  • Post subject:
Um where is Sharknado? Should be nominated for at least 4 awards. I thought best original screenplay would be sure thing
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2014 21:40
  • Post subject:
Missing too much Walter Mitty and The Butler. Jose Gonzalez should FOR SURE be up for best song of the year.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website