Playing Devil's Advocate

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 01/20/2014 11:28
  • Post subject: Playing Devil's Advocate
There are a lot of intelligent people here with a genuine curiosity about music, but I feel like many subjects get brushed under the carpet because people are afraid of arguments. And I get it, aside from cluttering the forums with bickering, arguments can be very stressful, especially if you feel like your character or intelligence are being questioned.

So I have an idea… bear with me, cause I've never tried this before. The purpose of this thread is to take the personal element out of arguments. One or more people will play devil's advocate for a controversial position, while those who disagree with them will argue as they see fit. There are several very important rules for these arguments:

DEVILS AND THEIR ADVOCATES:
- You must not at any time lay claim to the position you're advocating. You can say up front that you *disagree* with it if you're especially concerned about perception, but it's better if you keep your peace. This isn't just for your sake, it's also to help keep the arguments impersonal and flame resistant.

OTHERS:
- Please no personal attacks. This rule should apply to arguments in general, but it's especially key here because you have no idea if the person you're arguing with actually agrees with the position they're taking.
- Along similar lines, please no vague characterizations of the hypothetical people that disagree with you. This includes statements like, "people who think that are just stupid" or "people who think that are just insecure about…", etc. We're here to discuss music, not psychology. In most cases, if your argument includes a reference to your hypothetical opponent, it's probably out of bounds.

To start, I'll play the devil for the following position:

Any music that is enjoyed by someone is automatically good. It's just a matter of seeing things from the point of view of the person who enjoys it. As such, music criticism is just a way of enforcing the status quo and holds no actual validity for a sufficiently open-minded listener.

Anyone can argue either side here, but please follow the rules I give above. When I think that an argument has run its course, then I'll call for a new devil. Fire away.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 01/20/2014 11:51
  • Post subject: Re: Playing Devil's Advocate
'k I'll give this a go.

sp4cetiger wrote:

Any music that is enjoyed by someone is automatically good. It's just a matter of seeing things from the point of view of the person who enjoys it. As such, music criticism is just a way of enforcing the status quo and holds no actual validity for a sufficiently open-minded listener.

This is the most ridiculous statement I've ever read, I mean no disrespect but it is. Let's have a closer look at it.

1. "Any music that is *enjoyed* by someone is automatically good."
I say this is absurd, because a) you need to define "enjoy" otherwise what are we talking about? b) "someone" - like the author himself? I've written a couple of songs and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one to ironically "enjoy" them. Alas, that doesn't make them any good;

2. "seeing things from the point of view of etc" is impossible and you know it;

3. "music criticism is a just a way etc" music criticism per se barely exists anyway, when it does, it's musicology and few people, well at least not me, are versed in this type of study; if you're talking about "reviews" that's different;

4. define "sufficiently open-minded"
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 01/20/2014 12:07
  • Post subject: Re: Playing Devil's Advocate
Norman Bates wrote:
'k I'll give this a go.

This is the most ridiculous statement I've ever read, I mean no disrespect but it is.

Well, that's certainly not a good start.

Quote:

1. "Any music that is *enjoyed* by someone is automatically good."
I say this is absurd, because a) you need to define "enjoy" otherwise what are we talking about? b) "someone" - like the author himself? I've written a couple of songs and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one to ironically "enjoy" them. Alas, that doesn't make them any good;

Someone can be the author himself, yes.

I'm not sure why you need me to define enjoyment, because it seems like a word that most of us have an intuitive understanding of.

Quote:

2. "seeing things from the point of view of etc" is impossible and you know it;

A perfect reproduction of a person's point of view is impossible, yes, but all human brains work in essentially the same way. We cannot reproduce another person's experiences, but we can attempt to empathize with them by drawing parallels to our own experience.

Quote:

3. "music criticism is a just a way etc" music criticism per se barely exists anyway, when it does, it's musicology and few people, well at least not me, are versed in this type of study; if you're talking about "reviews" that's different;

Would you say that music reviews do not criticize or are you using a more formal definition of "music criticism"?

Quote:

4. define "sufficiently open-minded"

That's a fair point, you can just ignore that part of the statement, since I can't think of any way to defend it. Let's just say anyone can enjoy the music with sufficient effort.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 01/20/2014 12:17
  • Post subject:
"Well, that's certainly not a good start".

One does what one can.

"I'm not sure why you need me to define enjoyment, because it seems like a word that most of us have an intuitive understanding of. "

What I meant - and sorry I wasn't clear - is that some music definitely works outside the reach of "enjoyment" (again, whatever that means), and quite possibly against it (e.g. extreme noise), and is not necessarily "bad".

"A perfect reproduction of a person's point of view is impossible, yes, but all human brains work in essentially the same way. We cannot reproduce another person's experiences, but we can attempt to empathize with them by drawing parallels to our own experience. "

OK let's say you're right. Now saying "it's just a matter of seeing etc" sounds like making something appear simple when in fact it's terribly complicated.

"Would you say that music reviews do not criticize or are you using a more formal definition of "music criticism"?"

I'd say music reviews do not criticize. They review.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 01/20/2014 12:33
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:

What I meant - and sorry I wasn't clear - is that some music definitely works outside the reach of "enjoyment" (again, whatever that means), and quite possibly against it (e.g. extreme noise), and is not necessarily "bad".

I'm finding it difficult to give a precise definition of "enjoyment" just because it is based on brain chemistry that I have only the vaguest understanding of. However, it sounds like you're implying that some music is made with the intent that it not be enjoyed? Or are you saying that anything can be "music," even if it's not enjoyed (take your extreme noise as an example)?

Quote:

OK let's say you're right. Now saying "it's just a matter of seeing etc" sounds like making something appear simple when in fact it's terribly complicated.

It can be, certainly, but I am not saying that one should always make the effort to enjoy all music, just that it is possible, in theory.

Quote:

"Would you say that music reviews do not criticize or are you using a more formal definition of "music criticism"?"

I'd say music reviews do not criticize. They review.

When Pitchfork describes TMBG's Mink Car as "crap," they are not being critical? Is that merely a description of the music?
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 01/20/2014 14:16
  • Post subject:
Okay, I'll put the review vs. criticism part of the argument aside, since that's a separate question. Let's just suppose that someone chooses to criticize music; that is, they say that it's "bad" or just "worse" than other music. Are they wrong to do it?

Norman, perhaps the reason you're looking for a clarification of the word, "enjoyment," is that certain types of enjoyment are more fulfilling than others. For example, I may "enjoy" the Monkees, but perhaps that enjoyment is in some way inferior or less fulfilling compared to the enjoyment I'm likely to get from Coltrane. Is that what you're getting at?
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 01/20/2014 14:18
  • Post subject:
"However, it sounds like you're implying that some music is made with the intent that it not be enjoyed? "

Absolutely. So according to you, any music can be "good" because every song or musical piece has this lowest common denominator: somewhere, somebody "enjoys" it. Following your reasoning, some music must be bad if there is such a thing as music one doesn't "enjoy". I say there is, or at least there is some that definitely refuses to do so, and I do believe that it makes your reasoning at least crumble.

"It can be, certainly, but I am not saying that one should always make the effort to enjoy all music, just that it is possible, in theory. "

Do you think that it is possible, in theory, to enjoy all music, or that it is possible, in theory, to make the effort to enjoy all music?

"When Pitchfork describes TMBG's Mink Car as "crap," they are not being critical? Is that merely a description of the music?"

My Good Sir, thou art jesting. It's neither one nor the other, as well you know: it's an insult. It's not a review, and it's not a critique.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 01/20/2014 14:24
  • Post subject:
Enjoyment and quality are not one in the same. If a psychopath enjoys murdering children, does that make the act of killing children inherently good? It does not. Many can enjoy what even they do not like.

For instance. I enjoy Wesley Willis's odd outsider music, but would never classify it as good.

But on the otherhand, I do believe that any music that has been enjoyed, has proven to have a purpose in the world.

I think the answer is that good is a terrible, lazy word to describe art. Art should be described and classified by its effects rather than the quality of the work.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 01/20/2014 14:24
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
"However, it sounds like you're implying that some music is made with the intent that it not be enjoyed? "

Absolutely. So according to you, any music can be "good" because every song or musical piece has this lowest common denominator: somewhere, somebody "enjoys" it. Following your reasoning, some music must be bad if there is such a thing as music one doesn't "enjoy". I say there is, or at least there is some that definitely refuses to do so, and I do believe that it makes your reasoning at least crumble.

But just look at some of the stuff The Poe et all listen to. The noise stuff you referred to earlier he has definitely expressed before his enjoyment of it. I think it was proved long ago that something doesn't have to be 'pleasant' for humans to enjoy it on some level.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 01/20/2014 14:25
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Let's just suppose that someone chooses to criticize music; that is, they say that it's "bad" or just "worse" than other music. Are they wrong to do it?

According to you they are, since everything is good in the first place. I'm not the one who has to defend this viewpoint. I don't know if they're right or wrong to do it, I don't care. They just do it.

sp4cetiger wrote:

Norman, perhaps the reason you're looking for a clarification of the word, "enjoyment," is that certain types of enjoyment are more fulfilling than others. For example, I may "enjoy" the Monkees, but perhaps that enjoyment is in some way inferior or less fulfilling compared to the enjoyment I'm likely to get from Coltrane. Is that what you're getting at?

I don't think so. I'm not looking for a clarification of the word enjoyment. I am just saying that in order to theoretically prove your point, you need to. I am merely trying to suggest that maybe that criterium is unsatisfying, at least until it is defined. (Remember we're playing devil's advocate right?)
  • Visit poster's website