Comparing BEA's and RYM's Overalls

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Goodsir

• Posted: 02/05/2014 16:55
  • Post subject: Comparing BEA's and RYM's Overalls
I've been really studying both the overall chart on this site and the one on RYM a lot lately, and noticed some really polarizing albums. Some albums in our top 100 aren't even in their top 1000. I just wanted to make a little discussion thread comparing these two charts. I think it would be pretty interesting hearing your opinions on which one is better, too.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 02/05/2014 18:02
  • Post subject:
BEA

RYM

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 02/05/2014 18:37
  • Post subject:
RYM's chart is better, it's great Jazz and Hip Hop (even Thrash Metal which I don't like) take such a prominent role in their top 100 - BEA's top 100 is too cosy and safe.

BEA's system is built around which album has the most positivity in charts, whereas RYM takes into account both positive and negative ratings of albums, which is something to consider.

Perhaps more importantly is the basis of using charts to make a top album list. Many of us will hail 'Kind Of Blue' by Miles Davis as a masterpiece, and whilst we wouldn't hesitate rating it a 5 on RYM, we'd be less likely to rank it highly in a chart if our musical preference is alternative rock. For this reason, I think RYM better pushes albums that people appreciate, but not necessarily enjoy, the most.
Dingerbell

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/05/2014 18:39
  • Post subject:
Despite the Godspeed, Pink Floyd and Metallica circle jerking, I prefer the RYM top 100. Mainly because the RYM chart is more diverse, featuring several more jazz and hip-hop albums than the BEA top 100, and the RYM chart also has Spiderland, Odessey and Oracle, Endtroducing... and Spirit of Eden, as well as placing Loveless and In the Court of Crimson King where they deserve to be. BEA's chart has far too many poor choices in the top 100 to really challenge my decision.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/05/2014 20:02
  • Post subject:
RYM's chart is ten times better than ours, to be honest.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/05/2014 20:20
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

Perhaps more importantly is the basis of using charts to make a top album list. Many of us will hail 'Kind Of Blue' by Miles Davis as a masterpiece, and whilst we wouldn't hesitate rating it a 5 on RYM, we'd be less likely to rank it highly in a chart if our musical preference is alternative rock. For this reason, I think RYM better pushes albums that people appreciate, but not necessarily enjoy, the most.

This exactly.

BTW, you can get a comparable chart from BEA if you sort the overall by user rating.
Happymeal

• Posted: 02/05/2014 20:35
  • Post subject:
Ignore the overall chart in RYM; you'll find nothing new. BEA is worse, but that's besides the point. The main feature of RYM is going through various years,countries, and genres; you'll find so much that you'll end up loving. Stop putting so much weight into the "best"; look more into the albums that are considered great despite not having the proper fandom to make it a classic. Simply put, I think too much faith is put into these "top 100" charts (individual users are different, but the sum of them is something that is expected). RYM, and even BEA, has so much more to offer than just the overall top 100. Try out some of the other features; they're lovely!

• Posted: 02/05/2014 20:39
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Ignore the overall chart in RYM; you'll find nothing new. BEA is worse, but that's besides the point. The main feature of RYM is going through various years,countries, and genres; you'll find so much that you'll end up loving. Stop putting so much weight into the "best"; look more into the albums that are considered great despite not having the proper fandom to make it a classic. Simply put, I think too much faith is put into these "top 100" charts (individual users are different, but the sum of them is something that is expected). RYM, and even BEA, has so much more to offer than just the overall top 100. Try out some of the other features; they're lovely!

^ This times ten.
Goodsir

• Posted: 02/05/2014 21:27
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:

I follow this extensively, but I just thought that this would be an interesting topic.
Kiki

• Posted: 02/05/2014 21:29
  • Post subject:
BEA is the best. Overall chart is fantastic.