Revolution Girl-Style Now!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 02/06/2014 18:46
  • Post subject: Revolution Girl-Style Now!
We need a riot grrrl thread. Just for general discussion. I promise I'll never make another riot grrrl thread again. Anxious

Possible discussion points:
* what this rather nice article discusses: http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/...iot-grrrl/
* does music where a message or social/political view is a major part of it detract or add to the dignity and power of the music?
* riot grrrl is fucking awesome, all hail Kathleen Hanna our lord and savior
* recommending riot grrrl albums (or just albums in that general style even if they weren't a part of the scene)
* weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

^_^

• Posted: 02/06/2014 18:48
  • Post subject:
The second I saw this thread title I knew it was a BrandonMeow thread. I'll contribute more worthwhile commentary once I listen to more riot grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl music.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2014 19:33
  • Post subject:
Riot Grrrl was one hell of a movement. I was a huge Sleater Kinney fan. Still love them. I think many of those bands felt genuinely inspired and I love that about them. If any singular album could define that scene for me, it's this treasure.

Dig Me Out by Sleater Kinney
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/06/2014 20:45
  • Post subject:
I've yet to really get into Sleater-Kinney, but I really enjoy Corin Tucker's first band Heavens to Betsy, this song is really intense and incredible:

Link

The album that defined the movement for me is...early Bikini Kill mostly, their split with Huggy Bear as well as their first EP, both of which are contained in

The C.D. Version Of The First Two Recor...ikini Kill
Precedent

• Posted: 02/07/2014 00:01
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
The second I saw this thread title I knew it was a BrandonMeow thread.
Saoirse

• Posted: 02/07/2014 10:33
  • Post subject:

allright now we're getting to music in my backyard. uh I guess I wish I was more invovled with the scene back home so I could give some ultra-obscure examples (then again I was still a single-digit youngin in it's peak), but oh well here were the biggies:

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Now the Gits weren't so much a riot grrl band per se but it would be impossible to think what the movement would've become without Mia Zapata (rest in peace)'s influence

Link

Nor without the glorious X-Ray Spex, all the way back in 70's punk london

Link

Link

But really Ill just save the best for last, the wonder that is Kathleen Hanna (and good album selection Meow: they never were well represented on their full company-backed LPs)

Link

Link

Link

Link
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 02/07/2014 17:07
  • Post subject:
I'm currently reading Girls to the Front - The True Story of the Riot Grrrl Revolution, it's p decent, although the first chapter is a fucking drag. I'll drop some tunes in later tbh
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/07/2014 17:19
  • Post subject:
GeevyDallas wrote:
I'm currently reading Girls to the Front - The True Story of the Riot Grrrl Revolution, it's p decent, although the first chapter is a fucking drag. I'll drop some tunes in later tbh

I have that on my to-read list but I have no idea where to get a hold of it! I'll probably have to order it, I doubt a local library in the Southern US would have it. Rolling Eyes Sucks about the first chapter though.

Also, Saoirse's post <3
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2014 17:26
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:
allright now we're getting to music in my backyard. uh I guess I wish I was more invovled with the scene back home so I could give some ultra-obscure examples (then again I was still a single-digit youngin in it's peak), but oh well here were the biggies:

thanks for reminding me of the existence of Red Aunts. haven't listened to them in forever.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/07/2014 17:37
  • Post subject:
I feel I've given riot grrrl a fair shot, and my personal album pick for that scene of music is Sleater-Kinney's "The Woods".

I also like Team Dresch's "Personal Best". Bikini Kill and Huggy Bear are quite alright. Aannnd I didn't know Erase Errata was considered of the riot grrrl genre, I always thought they were more noise rock or something, but fuck it, what do I know - what I mean to say is: I think they're pretty good too, btw (at least in their first album).

Anyway, with the positives said, I feel the riot grrrl scene as a whole to be weak musically, but I'm glad the scene happened.

As a side note, for a perhaps more-than-decent introduction to Japanese (female) punk rock during the 90s, I recommend the various artists release called "Benten Punk Bentoh".

Last edited by Guest on 02/07/2014 17:41; edited 1 time in total