What are you watching on the TV-elly?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 02/09/2014 01:54
  • Post subject:
karbutt wrote:
what's the appeal of doctor who? I've only seen one episode and it was really batshit...

I wouldn't know how to describe why I like it so far. I guess it's just fun. The idea of zipping around space and time with a quirky Doctor dude is fun. *shrugs*
karbutt

United States

• Posted: 02/09/2014 01:58
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
I wouldn't know how to describe why I like it so far. I guess it's just fun. The idea of zipping around space and time with a quirky Doctor dude is fun. *shrugs*

ill give it another shot

• Posted: 02/09/2014 02:00
  • Post subject:
karbutt wrote:
ill give it another shot

It is a bit campy/cheesy/whatever, I'll give you that. So you simply may not like it.
Saoirse

• Posted: 02/09/2014 08:05
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2407574/

Because you like Channel 4 teen drama/comedy, I think. First season very much enjoyable, soundtrack amazing, season two starting very soon.

That does look intriguing, thanks man. Any other good hard-to-find-outside-of-the-uk british shows to check out?
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 02/09/2014 10:11
  • Post subject:
Plowing through The Wire at the moment, just started Season 3. So far it's been fantastic, I've always had a love for realism in anything.
Saoirse

• Posted: 02/09/2014 10:24
  • Post subject:
karbutt wrote:
what's the appeal of doctor who?

haha just kidding, sort of, actually this was the only reason I did watch a little bit of Doctor Who (im a lonely soul), but I donno it seems fun from what ive sort of gathered I donno ya know
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 02/09/2014 13:03
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
David Tennant isn't as bad as people say

Wait, What?! I thought David Tennant was highly acclaimed as The Doctor. Where did you hear about this?

karbutt wrote:
what's the appeal of doctor who? I've only seen one episode and it was really batshit...

As someone who is knowledgeable of the Doctor Who series 2005-onwards; I would say that the appeal of Doctor Who is that everybody is important. And the comment on it being batshit insane, I think that's part of its charm, especially Matt Smith's tenure. It's the embodiment of human emotion in my opinion. It can make you laugh and cry and think about life.

• Posted: 02/09/2014 13:13
  • Post subject:
Doctor Who has been unwatchable due to its smarminess and forced, knowing attempts at being 'quirky' ever since Eccleston left. I wouldn't bother with it if I were you. Every time I've seen it over the past few years it just seems smug and insincere.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 02/09/2014 13:25
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Doctor Who has been unwatchable due to its smarminess and forced, knowing attempts at being 'quirky' ever since Eccleston left. I wouldn't bother with it if I were you. Every time I've seen it over the past few years it just seems smug and insincere.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. The whole show feels like it knows that it's primary audience is teenage girls in America who think the show is cute because of it's British and slightly lo-fi appeal.

I've got a good feeling about Peter Capaldi as the doctor though, hopefully it'll return the show to it's less bubbly and stop it from becoming too patronizing.
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 02/09/2014 13:55
  • Post subject:
I understand where both lethal and Puncture are coming from. Half of Series 7 was either mediocre or just downright terrible. It does feel like it's pandering to that audience a bit, even though it used to be a family show that happened to have brilliant writing at one point. I just felt like that Moffat has just lost his touch with the series and he should seriously give the head-writer role to somebody else - Mark Gatiss or Chris Chibnall preferably - because Matt Smith deserves a better send off. I have high hopes for Peter Capaldi's portrayal of the character. The quirks are beginning to feel old, so it would be refreshing to see a darker side. I still love the show, but I agree that, nowadays. it has become a shell of its former self.