What do you friends listen to?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 02/08/2014 17:39
  • Post subject: What do you friends listen to?
I'm sure I've thought about that a few times, but never actually posted it, and revolver's post about AnCo just made me think about it again. Pretty simple. Well you can talk about other people too, like your family, teachers, colleagues (is that a word?), etc.

Also, how do they view you? Do you often talk about music with them? Do you share recs? Come on, talk about the social aspects of music, here!
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 02/08/2014 17:40
  • Post subject:
Shitty deathcore bands. Pierce the Veil, Of Mice & Men, Asking Alexandria, etc.
Yeah, they have pretty bad musical taste. Oh well, I don't really care, anyways.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/08/2014 17:54
  • Post subject:
Lessee, my wife's favorite artists are the Kingston Trio, Roger Miller, and Weird Al. She loves novelty music. Most of my other current friends don't take an active interest in music. My friends in college were big on Dave Matthews and Matchbox 20.

As for how they view me, most either see me as a music snob or a music simpleton (for not listening mainly to classical), so I find it's usually best to not talk about music with them. It's pretty rough, actually, that's why I'm here.
Goodsir

• Posted: 02/08/2014 17:57
  • Post subject:
I'd say my friends see me as a hipster, even though I only mentioned Neutral Milk Hotel once and then never again.
samistake2ice
General Grievous Angel

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2014 18:05
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:
I'd say my friends see me as a hipster, even though I only mentioned Neutral Milk Hotel once and then never again.

haha

I'd say I have very few (2-3) close friends with whom I share recs and similar tastes. Most of my friends like local Texas Country music. Some of which is great, some of which is tolerable, some of which is just as bad as the worst country music in the rest of the genre. Also, alot of my friends are into EDM which i struggle with, and "festival bands" which is great but they enjoy the "festival" aspect much more than the "musical" aspect.

end result = i go to a lot of shows alone.... Sad
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2014 18:06
  • Post subject:
my friends generally have good taste in music, actually. they all have their genres they lean to, whether it be indie pop or southern rock or rap or whatever, but most of them are pretty eclectic, too. i still think my taste is the best of my friends ( Cool ) but many of them could make a compelling case against me.

because, you know, it's a contest

obviously

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 02/08/2014 18:28
  • Post subject:
Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, Kings Of Leon, Little Mix, Whitney Houston, Lorde, Birdy etc etc

Sometimes Britpop and 80s artists. Sometimes classical (many various types which I won't go into) and one or two J-pop and Japanse video game and anime soundtracks ranging from guy who did the 'Final Fantasy VII' soundtrack to the music from 'Laputa Castle In The Sky'

Outside of BEA I am known as an Manic Street Preachers, Oasis, Arctic Monkeys, Blur, Franz Ferdinand, The Smiths fan and mostly recently Frank Turner on the rock side. People also regard me as completely happy with everything on the radio and will have no problem with Capital, Heart FM or Smooth Radio being on. So lots of pop too.

For this people regard me as unspectacular. When music comes up in conversation it is normally talking to people who know my favorite band or about popular artists. Because I regard myself as "a big fan of music" I do occasionally attract people who... erm... do not see it so. They tell me about certain "obscure bands" they like and I must admit I have feigned ignorance a lot of times. I watch carefully how they deal with me and start asking questions and see how they answer them. I'm entertained by watching peoples reactions to things Smile

I play the ditz and get recommended albums and artists or take recommendations when two or more people start talking to themselves about their obscure Japanese and indie albums when they get tied of telling me what to listen. Laughing

Most of the time though... I talk about popular bands and artists, be agreeable and have fun.
undefined

• Posted: 02/08/2014 18:39
  • Post subject:
I'm surrounded by all kinds
8 closest friends:

friend #1: midwest emo and backpack rap
friend #2: Fever Ray, Grimes, Bjork, and most classical music post-Baroque period (and Bach)
friend #3: Intro-level indie (Death Cab, etc.) and adult alternative + whatever I give him
friend #4: Slowcore, art-pop, 40s crooners, and Motown
friend #5: Video game soundtracks and Daft Punk
friend #6: Confessional and/or introspective acoustic mostly female musicians (Laura Marling, Angel Olsen, etc.)
friend #7: literally anything I give her (with a slight preference towards ambient house and third stream)
friend #8: Celtic folk, Foo Fighters, Wagner, and showtunes. Nothing else. I don't get it either.

Last edited by undefined on 02/08/2014 19:08; edited 1 time in total
Goodsir

• Posted: 02/08/2014 18:45
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
friend #5: Video game soundtracks and Daft Punk

Lol my brother in a nutshell, with the occasional U2 or Peter Gabriel
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2014 19:04
  • Post subject:
Mostly shitty mainstream and pop-punk bands and Disney soundtracks.

I do have a few friends who have legitimately developed taste in music, but they're far and fewer between.
  • Visit poster's website