Captain: Brandonmeow

Bonobo

Captain: Dingerbell
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2014 17:20
  • Post subject:
So, what Prince albums count as solo. I know a lot of his best work was backed by The Revolution, so this could be a major difference maker.

If everything counts, then vote goes to Prince. Otherwise my vote may very likely go to Bonobo
  • Visit poster's website
Dingerbell

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/10/2014 17:53
  • Post subject:
Bonobo is a severely underrated artist. Starting off mainly with instrumental downtempo electronic music, with strong nu-jazz influences, Bonobo has developed into much more varied and diverse artist, with several vocal parts and new styles of music coming into his newer albums. My favourites of his albums are: Dial "M" For Monkey, Days to Come and Black Sands, which I all love- with my personal preference being Dial "M" For Monkey. Some of my favourite songs of his:

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

It's really a shame he came up against Prince, as he may not progress further, but try and give him a listen, and see if you like him.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/10/2014 18:02
  • Post subject:
I've never heard a Prince song and yet I nominated him (on behalf of Lethal saying he ought to be in the tournament, which seemed true enough), I'm kind of a silly fellow. Laughing

I think I've heard a Bonobo song but I don't remember it. Abstained, I suppose.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 02/10/2014 18:22
  • Post subject:
I really enjoy Bonobo, but I couldn't possibly deny Prince the vote in this match up.

• Posted: 02/10/2014 18:58
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
So, what Prince albums count as solo. I know a lot of his best work was backed by The Revolution, so this could be a major difference maker.

Considering that for the majority of his early career (I don't really know about post-'88 too much, although there are still some great releases) he recorded nearly, if not every instrument on every album himself, as well as writing every song himself, I'd say he's at least as solo as, say, Don van Vliet (actually I'd say he's certainly more solo than Beefheart, given that much of the time his backing band was essentially just a touring band). So yeah, virtually all the good Prince albums count as solo works. Perhaps not quite as solo as a lone electronic music producer on his laptop, such as Bonobo (who is actually dope by the way and everybody who isn't familiar should really check him out ASAP), but more solo than a great many of the artists in this tournament can claim to be. Anyway, in many other matchups my vote would have gone to Bonobo, but there are only like one or two artists who would persuade me to vote against Prince.
undefined

• Posted: 02/10/2014 19:06
  • Post subject:
I do love Prince, though I've really only heard albums by "Prince and the Revolution". I'll go back and listen to his solo work before voting, but it may be hard to beat Bonobo. Then again it is Prince so maybe it wont be that hard. Though I do love Bonobo...

• Posted: 02/10/2014 19:10
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
I do love Prince, though I've really only heard albums by "Prince and the Revolution".

lethalnezzle wrote:
Considering that for the majority of his early career (I don't really know about post-'88 too much, although there are still some great releases) he recorded nearly, if not every instrument on every album himself, as well as writing every song himself ... So yeah, virtually all the good Prince albums count as solo works.
undefined

• Posted: 02/10/2014 19:15
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Considering that for the majority of his early career (I don't really know about post-'88 too much, although there are still some great releases) he recorded nearly, if not every instrument on every album himself, as well as writing every song himself, I'd say he's at least as solo as, say, Don van Vliet (actually I'd say he's certainly more solo than Beefheart, given that much of the time his backing band was essentially just a touring band). So yeah, virtually all the good Prince albums count as solo works.

Ah my apologies for overlooking this. Alright I think Prince gets the vote, though Bonobo is big underrated on this site

• Posted: 02/10/2014 19:17
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
Bonobo is big underrated on this site

Oh for sure. People should definitely check out Bonobo.