Your most embarassing chart picks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2014 17:38
  • Post subject:
I'd replace most of my Greatest Hits selections with the actual albums by that band, if I was familiar enough with the actual albums, but for many bands, all I know is the Greatest Hits Album, which I listened to over and over until it became part of me.

Working on it.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
panman36

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2014 18:41
  • Post subject:
Listmeister wrote:
I'd replace most of my Greatest Hits selections with the actual albums by that band, if I was familiar enough with the actual albums, but for many bands, all I know is the Greatest Hits Album, which I listened to over and over until it became part of me.

Working on it.

Yeah, my 50-100 will definitely have more Greatest Hits. I'm not really embarrassed by that, these would be by artists that I just don't like enough to get into most their deep album stuff most likely
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 02/12/2014 19:35
  • Post subject:
panman36 wrote:
Yeah, my 50-100 will definitely have more Greatest Hits. I'm not really embarrassed by that, these would be by artists that I just don't like enough to get into most their deep album stuff most likely

patman is that you
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 02/12/2014 20:11
  • Post subject:
i'm cool and so is the music i listen to
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/12/2014 21:07
  • Post subject:
GeevyDallas wrote:

• Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 02/12/2014 21:24
  • Post subject:
GeevyDallas wrote:
Trendall

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/12/2014 22:06
  • Post subject: Re: Your most embarassing chart picks
panman36 wrote:
For example, I know that I have too much DMB in a top 40 list Smile Even die hard fans would probably smack me for including Everyday Laughing What? They were my favorite band in the peak of my fandom.

I'm the same, I have three Dave Matthews Band albums in my top 100, two in the top 30. They were like, the band that I was into when I was a teenager. I don't think they're an uncool band necessarily, and I will defend their music, but they do have remarkably uncool fans. I can't forgive you for including Everyday though Wink. I never liked that one, too smooth and shiny.

There are three in my top 100 list that stand out like a sore thumb, and they're all albums that I really liked as a teenager and haven't listened to for a couple of years, and I suspect that when I get round to listening to them again, they'll drop off the list. They are -

Regina Spektor - Begin To Hope

I'm reminded of this thing that I read on rateyourmusic once by this guy alexdroogie, who says -

"But at the same time, there is the inescapable "quirkiness," a kind of alternative that appeals mainly to economically-secure white kids in the suburbs -- that is, she's odd enough (sometimes) to stand apart from most radio artist without being actually challenging. Which isn't necessarily bad, but it can often fall into the dangerous and diminutive realm of "cute.""

Regina Spektor is probably not that uncool, but she is not as cool as Tori Amos or whatever, and especially when you get to her later albums, there is too much of this needless quirkiness that all just seems a bit affected. Begin To Hope has some good songs though, and very pretty production. I don't understand words and lyrics and what good lyrics are meant to be, but from what I can tell she is also quite a strong lyricist.

John Mayer - Continuum

John Mayer is a good musician, but uncool, because he is always caught up in stupid trashy gossip about girlfriends and stuff, and I get the impression that when he is writing a song, like 95% of what he's concerned about is 'will girls like this?'. Like on Battle Studies, he seems excessively proud of himself for having come up with a metaphor (love and war are the sameeee!), and I can just imagine him imagining Taylor Swift hearing these lyrics he's written and going 'oh my god John, we have sooooo much in common'.

That said though, Continuum has good songs on it.

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

I don't know anything about Norah Jones so she might actually be quite cool herself, but this is basically like after dinner music for people who have no souls. It's all good music though, as far as I can remember.

--

I also have a lot of Marillion, who are often dubbed 'the world's least cool band', but I think that the earlier albums of theirs that I like suffer from this less. Also, like I say, I don't really pay much attention to lyrics, so there might be lots more embarrassing albums on my charts whose embarrassingness I'm not aware of.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/12/2014 22:38
  • Post subject:
Regina Spektor is the coolest, Trendall! Though Songs towers above Begin to Hope, you should try it if you haven't. Razz
Trendall

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/12/2014 22:47
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
Regina Spektor is the coolest, Trendall! Though Songs towers above Begin to Hope, you should try it if you haven't. Razz

Songs is actually the only one of hers that I haven't heard. 11:11 is definitely cool though, as is Soviet Kitsch.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/12/2014 22:48
  • Post subject:
Trendall wrote:
Songs is actually the only one of hers that I haven't heard. 11:11 is definitely cool though, as is Soviet Kitsch.

You're in for a treat when/if you do listen to it. Smile