Quality vs. Quantity

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: You have time in a single year to listen to 1000 albums. What do you do?
Listen to 1000 different albums
9%
 9%  [4]
Listen to 500 different albums twice
11%
 11%  [5]
Listen to 200 different albums 5 times
51%
 51%  [22]
Listen to 50 different albums 20 times
25%
 25%  [11]
Listen to 10 different albums 100 times
0%
 0%  [0]
Listen to one album 1000 goddamn times
2%
 2%  [1]
Total Votes : 43

• Posted: 02/21/2014 17:45
  • Post subject: Quality vs. Quantity
Do you think it's better to listen to as many albums as you can in your lifetime or to get to know the ones you do hear as well you can? Where is the happy medium? On any given day, how do you determine how to divide your time among new albums, old favorites, and albums you've been meaning to give another go? Etc.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/21/2014 17:48
  • Post subject: Re: Quality vs. Quantity
swedenman wrote:
Do you think it's better to listen to as many albums as you can in your lifetime or to get to know the ones you do hear as well you can? Where is the happy medium? On any given day, how do you determine how to divide your time among new albums, old favorites, and albums you've been meaning to give another go? Etc.

A mix of all. Concentrate on the ones you love as well as discovering new listens, and trying to give albums another chance. Best approach IMO.
samistake2ice
General Grievous Angel

United States

• Posted: 02/21/2014 18:07
  • Post subject:
this is a great question. I often have to stop myself, because I can get a little over zealous in listening to new music. most new music i listen to, i will give at least 2-3 spins and the stuff i like i probably listen to at least 15-20 times. Wow, i wonder how many times, in a given year, i listen to an album.

Check out my new review/pop-culture site MAD DISTRACTION
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 02/21/2014 18:17
  • Post subject:
Quality.

• Posted: 02/21/2014 18:22
  • Post subject:
To me the whole purpose of listening to a bunch of new albums is to find those albums you can play 20 times. And then when one gets tired of that album one starts searching again.

• Posted: 02/21/2014 18:37
  • Post subject:
I don't understand why you would give every album an equal number of listens. Of the albums I listened to last year, I tried to give each one at least two listens. Obviously, some were so bad that I didn't even get through the first. But of the albums I loved, Beyonce's latest, Kozelek and Lavalle's, Dam-Funk and Steve Arrington's, Chance The Rapper's, m b v, these are all albums I heard fifteen, twenty, thirty, forty, god knows how many times. Other albums, the albums in my top 60 or 70 for the year, are all albums I must have heard at least six or seven times, and many more in some cases (although a little less in others) - take Yung Simmie's Basement Musick or Nick Cave's Push The Sky Away for example, both albums that weren't anywhere near my favourites of the year but albums I found myself going back to very regularly. Then again, I have a lot of free time and can afford to spend time relistening to albums I don't necessarily love (though I don't really understand struggling with albums I don't even like). But yeah, basically what Brandon said, except for the "getting tired" bit. I listen to as much new music as possible in order the find the favourites I can spend forever going back to.

• Posted: 02/21/2014 18:40
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
I don't understand why you would give every album an equal number of listens. Of the albums I listened to last year, I tried to give each one at least two listens. Obviously, some were so bad that I didn't even get through the first. But of the albums I loved, Beyonce's latest, Kozelek and Lavalle's, Dam-Funk and Steve Arrington's, Chance The Rapper's, m b v, these are all albums I heard fifteen, twenty, thirty, forty, god knows how many times. Other albums, the albums in my top 60 or 70 for the year, are all albums I must have heard at least six or seven times, and many more in some cases (although a little less in others) - take Yung Simmie's Basement Musick or Nick Cave's Push The Sky Away for example, both albums that weren't anywhere near my favourites of the year but albums I found myself going back to very regularly. Then again, I have a lot of free time and can afford to spend time relistening to albums I don't necessarily love (though I don't really understand struggling with albums I don't even like). But yeah, basically what Brandon said, except for the "getting tired" bit. I listen to as much new music as possible in order the find the favourites I can spend forever going back to.

I mean, not so much getting tired as craving something different, or simply craving more music. XD Poorly worded, I suppose.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 02/21/2014 20:00
  • Post subject:
I like to listen to as many different albums as I can. However, this can sometimes make it so that I don't really remember any of them.
meruizh

Mexico

• Posted: 02/21/2014 20:29
  • Post subject:
Unless it's a terrible first listen, I'll try to give each album at least 4-6 listens to try to fully get into it.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/21/2014 20:41
  • Post subject:
If an album interests me enough the first time around, I'll probably give it another listen or two before making up my mind. If it doesn't then I'm probably not missing out.
  • Visit poster's website