Least cool genre

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: What do you think is the least cool genre on BEA?
Progressive rock
11%
 11%  [6]
Disco
3%
 3%  [2]
Post-grunge
19%
 19%  [10]
Hair metal
27%
 27%  [14]
Emo
9%
 9%  [5]
Pop
1%
 1%  [1]
Punk
1%
 1%  [1]
Techno
1%
 1%  [1]
Musical theater
11%
 11%  [6]
Other (specify)
9%
 9%  [5]
Total Votes : 51

sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/25/2014 21:32
  • Post subject: Least cool genre
No responses like "we should appreciate all genres" or "I hate genres.". Those are discussions for other threads. Also, I'm not asking for your opinions on the genres, just your perception of which genre garners the most negativity on the forums.

So... what kind of music do we hate? Smile

OTHERS (from the thread):

- Country
- Rock opera
- Ambient
- Psytrance
- Nu-metal

EDIT: Based on some of the initial responses, here are some more notes:

- In general, you can consider the genre definitions open-ended (interpret them however feels right to you).
- For musical theater, disregard any of the visual aspects of it and just consider the recorded music that usually accompanies plays.
- This is not meant as a shot at any of the genres listed here (I love punk, for example), it's just some genres that I've seen badmouthed at one time or another on the forums.

Last edited by sp4cetiger on 02/25/2014 23:55; edited 4 times in total
rayword45

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2014 21:41
  • Post subject:
Emo used to be good and Hair Metal requires far more musical talent than Post-Grunge.

Techno, Pop and Punk are rather vague descriptors. Go compare Big Star to Lady Gaga, and compare Black Flag to Blink-182. Techno is used as a catch-all for many types of electronic music it seems.

I don't see why someone would choose Progressive Rock. A lot of it reeks of pretension but that's only some bands and everyone and their mothers love Pink Floyd (and some other bands I guess).
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/25/2014 21:41
  • Post subject:
Not sure 'Musical theatre' is a genre so much as an artform in itself, but it's surely the least cool thing in this poll by a country mile. Surprised there's no room for country on this poll. I find psytrance to be ridiculously uncool, it's music for crusties on six-day acid benders and is usually played on terrible, DJ-sourced soundsystems in some shitty excuse for a forest. So yeah, pystrance is the genre that I fail to see anything cool about, even with all the LSD and shrooms. Of those on the poll (not including 'Musical theatre' for reasons already stated), emo isn't very cool (but has an unjust reputation), whilst hair metal and prog are also pretty frowned upon. Not sure that techno is uncool at all, it isn't 2001 anymore, whilst disco is probably the most en vogue genre in the world. But yeah, I'm voting hair metal.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/25/2014 21:42
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Surprised there's no room for country on this poll.

Ack, I was thinking of that earlier, but forgot to include it! Oh well.

Last edited by sp4cetiger on 02/25/2014 21:46; edited 1 time in total
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/25/2014 21:45
  • Post subject:
Hair metal, easily.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/25/2014 21:48
  • Post subject:
Probably post-grunge. Enough people here like GNR that hair metal isn't the least cool.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/25/2014 21:49
  • Post subject:
In general, you can consider the genre definitions open-ended (interpret them however feels right to you). For musical theater, disregard any of the visual aspects of it and just consider the recorded music that usually accompanies plays. Lethal is correct that it's not really a genre, but I think we all have a sense for what it typically sounds like.

• Posted: 02/25/2014 21:53
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
Enough people here like GNR that hair metal isn't the least cool.

I love everyone here, so no offence intended, but judging by people's admissions in the lounge (you know, the ones regarding everybody's social life and lack thereof), I hardly think our user base are arbiters of what's cool and what isn't.

• Posted: 02/25/2014 21:55
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
I love everyone here, so no offence intended, but judging by people's admissions in the lounge (you know, the ones regarding everybody's social life and lack thereof), I hardly think our user base are arbiters of what's cool and what isn't.

"Also, I'm not asking for your opinions on the genres, just your perception of which genre garners the most negativity on the forums."
I think Spacetiger meant the thread to be more based around what isn't cool on our forums than what isn't cool in general.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/25/2014 21:57
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:

Brandon's actually interpreting it right, I'm looking for the perceptions of the userbase. "Cool" and "uncool" vary dramatically from place to place, so I was trying to make it specific to the forums.

But yeah... the average BEA user would have trouble getting into a lot of clubs.