Cool is the exception

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/26/2014 19:45
  • Post subject: Cool is the exception
Now that we've voted on which genres are the least cool, let's see if we can find some quality in them. This is where advocates of downtrodden genres can make their case or, even if you still think a genre is uncool, show us an exception to the rule. You can defend any genre you like, but the ones that seemed to have the worst reputation here were:

- hair metal
- post-grunge
- rock opera
- progressive rock
- emo
- psytrance

Also let us know if there are any recordings from musical theater you want to advocate.

Last edited by sp4cetiger on 02/26/2014 19:55; edited 1 time in total
Dingerbell

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/26/2014 19:53
  • Post subject:
For emo, from the 90's I really like American Football and Cap'n Jazz, and more modern emo bands I like are Sport, The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die and Touché Amoré.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 02/26/2014 20:02
  • Post subject:
Appetite For Destruction is one of the best classic heavy metal records of all time. I see nothing wrong with it. That's at least one good (and IMO great) album in the hair metal category.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/26/2014 20:04
  • Post subject:
Hair metal, as ostentatious and over the top as it was, gave us some of the most technically impressive guitarists I've ever seen.

I've give you the following:

Reb Beach

Link

Nuno Bettencourt

Link

Vito Bratta (solo starts at 47:25)

Link

Not to mention Yngwie Malmsteen, Randy Rhodes and Steve Vai, whom I'm sure most people here are at least vaguely familiar with.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart

Last edited by RockyRaccoon on 02/26/2014 20:06; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 02/26/2014 20:05
  • Post subject:
Dingerbell wrote:
For emo, from the 90's I really like American Football and Cap'n Jazz, and more modern emo bands I like are Sport, The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid to Die and Touché Amoré.

That's hipster emo. Laughing

More often than not emo is Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, My Chemical Romance, Paramore etc etc. You know, doing what The Cure did and doing it cooler.
Kiki

• Posted: 02/26/2014 20:07
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
Appetite For Destruction is one of the best classic heavy metal records of all time. I see nothing wrong with it. That's at least one good (and IMO great) album in the hair metal category.

Hanoi Rocks looked alright.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/26/2014 20:11
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:

White Lion's "Pride" is pretty sweet too

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Dingerbell

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/26/2014 20:13
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
More often than not emo is Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, My Chemical Romance, Paramore etc etc. You know, doing what The Cure did and doing it cooler.

Maybe they were all once emo, but now they have left the genre behind completely. And why would I suggest people listen to these bands when they produce the negative attitude towards emo? Surely it would be best if I suggest bands that people may not have heard of, and sound different to these bands, but are still labeled emo? Emo isn't just one extremely limited style of music from one distinct period, you know; there are many bands with completely different characteristics from the 80's right up to the present day being called emo.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 02/26/2014 20:20
  • Post subject:
Dingerbell wrote:
Maybe they were all once emo, but now they have left the genre behind completely. And why would I suggest people listen to these bands when they produce the negative attitude towards emo? Surely it would be best if I suggest bands that people may not have heard of, and sound different to these bands, but are still labeled emo? Emo isn't just one extremely limited style of music from one distinct period, you know; there are many bands with completely different characteristics from the 80's right up to the present day being called emo.

Haha yeah. Laughing Better if they removed the negative attitude towards what 'emo' is now. If they don't like your bands they can have The Used, Plain White T's, Rise Against, Jimmy Eat World, Hot Water Music instead.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/26/2014 20:28
  • Post subject: Re: Cool is the exception
sp4cetiger wrote:

- progressive rock

It's kind of funny to see this with the others, considering Pink Floyd and King Crimson both have high charting records on BEA.

I will say though that Prog went into some really pretentious wanker directions in the mid 70s and beyond, so i understand how it could not be cool. but if you don't think this is cool, there's something wrong with you.

Link

• Visit poster's website