Cool is the exception

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2014 06:21
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:

I find that a bad excuse and only lends to the purpose of continuing to keep those who don’t know about any of that ignorant or misinformed. The above of which I wrote I was going to edit in my post, but I saw you replied. But you are right in the sense that blatantly incorrect pop culture history was made and that it is generally unrepairable. But it is forgettable, if we start remembering to call it a different name or perhaps what it is (pop-rock) then it’s a much more preferable start.

I’ve been on music websites for a long while and calling My Chemical Romance and their peers as emo-anything simply reinforces bad knowledge.

It also makes me upset and drives me to quit forums quicker than a troll post hating ambient music does. Sad

I will agree that that genre of music, whatever you want to call it (scene music, mall scene emo, whatever) is incorrectly labeled as emo and that there is a distinct difference between that music and the emo music that continues to this day (as opposed to that music that died out quickly), this is all fine for talking amongst people like us, people who know music.

But no matter what we may decide to call it, it will continue to still be known as emo music, however erroneously, because of how widespread and popular it was. It has and most likely always will be referred to as such. Is this ok, is this bad, that's a matter of opinion. Personally I think it to be fairly irrelevant, but that's just my opinion. In what I was talking about earlier, I was speaking specifically about what is (incorrectly) referred to as emo, speaking only within those confines.

In the end, you know, I know, I would say this whole forum (the regulars at least) know, that emo music is different from that movement, and that's good. But just because we know that isn't going to change what it's called amongst the general public. To use an analogy, no matter what, the general public is going to keep thinking Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, even though we all know it was Joseph Swan, and it is likely that nothing is going to change that.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/08/2014 06:26
  • Post subject:
But not every regular or member of this site is informed to say the least, I mean benpaco didn’t seem to understand it one way or another and nobody really gave an informative conclusive answer before jumping into scene-emo jokes and references. Which is definitely an issue to me since as music fanatics who are supposed to have their shit straight shouldn’t do things like that. Being helpful is the most important thing next to being educational.

A lot of my stigma has to do with the collective ignorance I run on to every site and it was very morbid for me to see a seemingly bit of wrong information listed in front of a style of music I particularly enjoy and respect.
  • Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 03/08/2014 06:33
  • Post subject:
Scenecore is easily the worst "style/genre/etc" of music that I have ever heard

Sickens me every time I hear it

Not to mention the whole stigma and scene around it
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2014 06:35
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
But not every regular or member of this site is informed to say the least, I mean benpaco didn’t seem to understand it one way or another and nobody really gave an informative conclusive answer before jumping into scene-emo jokes and references. Which is definitely an issue to me since as music fanatics who are supposed to have their shit straight shouldn’t do things like that. Being helpful is the most important thing next to being educational.

A lot of my stigma has to do with the collective ignorance I run on to every site and it was very morbid for me to see a seemingly bit of wrong information listed in front of a style of music I particularly enjoy and respect.

And if this is the case, if someone is not aware of this, after reading our exchanges on this thread, they will become aware. You gave a very good summary and a very good set of examples as to what emo music actually is.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/08/2014 06:37
  • Post subject:
But the issues to me is that I had to do it, because nothing else was given beforehand and every time I talk about the origins of emo I get more and more tired about it. I've said this thing nearly every year since 2005.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2014 06:56
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
But the issues to me is that I had to do it, because nothing else was given beforehand and every time I talk about the origins of emo I get more and more tired about it. I've said this thing nearly every year since 2005.

To clarify since I'm one of the ones who didn't "get" it - I don't get the genre and your post is really informative and I'm glad you shared it. I'm used to society's definition of pop-emo I suppose, things like MCR and AFI. There's so much more there that I need to dig into.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/08/2014 07:00
  • Post subject:
I'm glad to be able to be helpful, at any rate. It's a rough and pretty dissonant genre once you get past the midwest indie scene; took me a few years being into hardcore punk and a bit of extreme metal before I had an ear for it.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/09/2014 05:46
  • Post subject:
Crappy double post, but to the topic nature I'd like to jump back to post-grunge and share some of the few stuff I like from the genre.

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Though, I never really considered Everclear post-grunge, but hey.
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 03/09/2014 14:21
  • Post subject:
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=11771

I made an emo chart a while ago. Haven't updated in a while, but it's certainly got some stuff people'll like.

As far as post grunge goes, I tend to like Local H, Everclear (which I personally don't think belong to post grunge, but I'm always willing to promote some of my favorites), Live, Alter Bridge, Blind Melon, and Our Lady peace