Album of the day (#1193): The Joshua Tree by U2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/01/2014 13:03
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:
The greatest album by one of the greatest bands and with a real frontman, not one of those nazi-vegetarians.

Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/01/2014 13:13
  • Post subject:
People rarely justify why they hate U2, they just climb aboard the U2 hate train and spout crap.

C'mon, it's just guitars, drums and a guy singing over the top - why is that so much worse than every other album out there?

I enjoy it, it's far from being a masterpiece, but very few things are. Kudos to U2 for finding a bigger sound at the time and finding a wider audience and acclaim. Their heads got to big after this album, for sure, but that doesn't mean this album should suffer because of it.

• Posted: 03/01/2014 13:15
  • Post subject:
I like 'Pride' or 'In The Name of Love' or whatever it's called. It's not on this album.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 03/01/2014 13:56
  • Post subject:

Link

Link

Link

<3

I still enjoy the first three tracks a lot, despite the fact they got way overplayed, but the reason I still like the album as much as I do, is in what comes after. You're right in saying this isn't exactly the most adventurous music ever. You can call Bono whatever you want, I imagine I'll even agree to an extent, but I see nothing pretentious here, no Bono trying to save the world, nothing that would bother me (okay if you just dislike his voice and style of singing, then that's a different story), only a batch of really solid, meditative rock music. I don't like it as much as Boy or War, but I do think it's a great album.
  • Visit poster's website
Secondsoul

Ireland

• Posted: 03/01/2014 13:58
  • Post subject:
Good, not great sums it up perfectly. It's number 32 overall which is way too high. Not even in My Top 20 best Irish albums!
  • Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 03/01/2014 14:54
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:

Haha, thanks for pointing out my contradictory comments! I guess Paul isn't as nazi as a certain Smiths-frontman, but both are definitely too extreme with their vegetarian beliefs. Anyway, only wanted to ensure that nobody hates U2 just for the fact that one person in the band comes across as a bit of an asshole.

Okay, no more nonsense from me. Back on topic!

EDIT: Awful picture btw!
Mdemauri

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2014 16:02
  • Post subject:
I guess it depends on your perspective. I bought this album as a college junior the day it was released. Upon first listen I thought it was an Unforgettable Fire knock off. After a few listens it grew on me and I found it to be one of my most played albums during the last couple years of the 80's. Now not so much only because I'm trying to expand my horizons.

However, it is their most consistent album and a high point in their career. And Where The Streets Have No Name is much better in concert than on the album.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 03/01/2014 17:24
  • Post subject:
I don't like this band much in general, except for Boy.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2014 17:28
  • Post subject:
poor u2, this album is nice! still get 'cited when i hear this on the radio

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/01/2014 17:57
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:
Haha, thanks for pointing out my contradictory comments! I guess Paul isn't as nazi as a certain Smiths-frontman, but both are definitely too extreme with their vegetarian beliefs. Anyway, only wanted to ensure that nobody hates U2 just for the fact that one person in the band comes across as a bit of an asshole.

Normally, I completely agree with you that an artist's non-musical behavior should be disregarded when judging their music. The problem is that U2's music is a perfect reflection of Bono's real-life behavior, so it's near impossible for me to think of anything else when I hear it. Let's be fair, Bono has achieved a lot in his life and there is probably a hint of jealousy in a lot of the criticism he receives. The problem is that this music sounds like an achievement, a collection of pop songs that are crafted to balance soft rock popular appeal and critical acclaim. However impressive that may be, how can I be expected to connect to something like that? What is the album's soul?

I first listened to this album some ten or fifteen years ago, well after it had first been released. I never particularly liked most of U2's singles, but given their critical acclaim, I just assumed that I was missing something. By now, I've probably heard it five or six times, and though I've never found it unlistenable in the way that Norman does, I was never able to connect to it either. As smooth and carefully crafted as it may be, it just sounds like a commercial product to me. I don't mind pop when it's catchy and fun, but this album is neither... it's actually kind of a drag.

I want to be able to stand up for U2 because hating them is such a cliché, but I just can't. A handful of their songs are catchy enough for me to enjoy, but no... just no.