Physically finding physical music.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 03/06/2014 22:20
  • Post subject: Physically finding physical music.
Where are you finding physical music nowadays? If you're still looking ofcourse, you may have stoped or not started at all. What shops are left which sell music and which have popped up around you.

In the space of a few years I've seen places come, go and move altogther. When I first started going into the city centre they had just closed down the 'Zavvi' store. Before then it was called 'Virgin Megastore' I believe but I never got a chance to shop in one of those. There were 4 HMVs where I used to buy albums (3 in city centre, 1 in shopping centre near by) and all of them have closed down in the last few years apart from one.

There was another record store called 'Tempest' which I knew for less than a year before it closed down. Another called 'Swordfish' moved into this cosy little place near the old Toys R Us. I brought my copies of 'Rewind The Film' and 'Reflektor' from there Smile

Other than that there are Charity Shops and Poundland. The latter went from only selling the album 'Mother' by 'Kubb' to having a huge array of music as long as you like British 90s rock and pop. Shocked

I think that is all which is near me right now. Well apart from the 'Music & Video Exchange' but I feel a little scared of going in there sometimes.

What's the situation near you?

• Posted: 03/06/2014 22:25
  • Post subject: Re: Physically finding physical music.
You should check out Milque & Muhle in the Custard Factory and Polar Bear in King's Heath.
TracyJacks

Hungary

• Posted: 03/06/2014 22:54
  • Post subject:
I always liked physical copies of music so I always try to buy my favourite albums, almost only in CD format (I don't have a vinyl player now, and it would be too expensive to buy one and start to collect vinyls).

In my city it is now very difficult to find good stores. In most stores there are not much albums, not much rock albums and there aren't really albums I search for. For example, it is even difficult to find a Pink Floyd album, and if I find one, it is usually quite expensive.
For this reason I buy very rarely in my hometown.
There is a good little store called Neon Music which is specialized in rock and there are albums by independent labels that's the only good store I know.
There is a Saturn megastore where I found Ten by Pearl Jam so I bought that a couple of months ago, but that's not too much.
There were lots of vinyl stores a decade ago so I went there where when I still had a player. But most of them are now closed.

When I was younger, 14-15 years old, I started to visit Vienna regularly, which is only three hours by car from Budapest. I was blown away how different the situation is there. First there was a huge Virgin megastore which is now closed, but it was a huge store full of good albums. Then I moved to Vienna and started to discover many little record stores, often selling plenty of vinyls too.
I started to buy albums when I later moved to Vienna and even if I don't live there anymore, every time I go back I buy a couple of albums.

It is really strange that for example in Saturn in Vienna I always find million albums I could buy, they have a big vinyl sector as well. In Budapest the quality and the quantity of the albums are really low in comparison.
It seems like as if it was a refuse dump. Crying or Very sad It has to do something with post-communism, because it was forbidden back then to sell any Western European 'capitalist' records, therefore I think it still affects the trade - not in the way that it would be impossible to sell the same albums as in other countries, but they probably don't want to sell them here.

I was in Spain a couple of times where there is a big store called fnac, I liked it too, there was nice selection there.

And when I visited the UK, I went to HMV. If I lived there I would probably spend my whole salary on new albums every month. Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2014 23:22
  • Post subject:
If I want a physical copy of something I usually go to Amoeba Music on Sunset in Hollywood.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/07/2014 00:41
  • Post subject:
I very rarely get physical CDs unless I find them cheap, and I usually just go to independent cheap record stores. Not exactly got much money and you can always find some cool bargains. I mean, shit, I got Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down for 50p in excellent condition. 'Hello' has had so many spins... not even joking.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2014 00:43
  • Post subject:
Only physical music I buy are vinyls for my collection (it's at around 300 now). I typically get those either at yard sales or Goodwill. Sometimes I get them off of eBay as well.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2014 01:09
  • Post subject:
Both the Amoeba and Rasputin's in Berkeley are pretty great places to get things, just depends on what you're looking for. I usually go to Rasputin's more just cuz there's one closer to me but they're both cool. Local goodwill has some good CDs that come in too and they keep them up against the window, so I can check if its worth going in without even having to go in, frankly XD

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
samistake2ice
General Grievous Angel

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2014 04:04
  • Post subject:
Im not sure if this is every where but there as been a HUGE resurgence of vinyl in the states so much so that the houston press runs an annual list of the best record stores in houston. And for the best 3 or so years they have all been independents (no chains) specializing in vinyl sales. My favortie (beacuse of location) is called vinal edge. Ive built a relationship with them and they are great people.

I cant say enough about how much i enjoy buying vinyl records. For those who think its too much money, it really doesnt have to be. I found a deal on quality bose speakers for $60 and purchased a used turntable for $25, and i was up and running.

Over the past year i have started my own collection of vinyl, im up to around 50
(Click Here to see--> http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=13886) and i doubt ive spent much more than 200 on the lot. Most i buy from VE from their $1 stacks, but i get a lot from garage sales and goodwill stores. Many of the ones I find, that i dont care for, i try to resell, trade or donate.

i get so much more enjoyment out of playing my records than i do, music off my computer. I no longer see any need for Cds. It's hard to explain because music downloading is undeniably more convenient. I just think it lacks some of the personality of the alternative.

The point is... its a hobby. I wouldnt tell you to go out a purchase all your new music on vinyl. But when the lights go out, and they will, (esp for you youngins) you want to still be able to play your favorite music. which is why I also suggest you try to find a hand-crank phonograph. Smile

Edit: to intoxicated to fix the mistakes in what I wrote above. Hopefully you understood what I said. Vinyl=Good

Check out my new review/pop-culture site MAD DISTRACTION
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 03/07/2014 07:22
  • Post subject:
Oh of course now I have to post some ONJ

Link

Anyways, Austin has a lot of great record stores (End of Veneer is supposed to be good, so says Kool Keith, and of course Waterloo, expensive but expansive selection) but unfortunately they usually make you exchange money for your cds/vinyls, so that's a no-no these days

Also, goodbye BEA for a while as Im nearly half-deaf at the moment and don't have any new music Im listening to... keep it classy as always dahlings
Precedent

• Posted: 03/07/2014 14:11
  • Post subject:
I go to Park Ave CDs in Orlando (Florida) for Vinyl/CDs.

Sometimes I'll go to a random store and find what I'm looking for

If all else fails, Amazon.