How many times do you listen to an album before adding it??

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: How many times do you listen to an album before adding it??
1-3,
45%
 45%  [24]
4-7
37%
 37%  [20]
8-12
5%
 5%  [3]
12-15
5%
 5%  [3]
15+
5%
 5%  [3]
Total Votes : 53

sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/25/2014 00:09
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
I'm with Outlaw, you can find an album great after just one listen.
That said however, when I do find an album good enough to add after one listen, I usually end up obsessing with it for a few weeks where I play it on repeat pretty much.

I'm always afraid that it will lose its punch if I do that (though I have no data to support that fear). I try not to listen to an album more than once a day, no matter how much I like it.

Kinda curious what others do about this. Do you play albums on repeat a lot?

• Posted: 04/25/2014 00:17
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Do you play albums on repeat a lot?

Yes, quite regularly. I find it helps things stick, and you catch things on an immediate second listen that you may have missed first time (more so than a separate second listen, days or weeks after the first, by which time you may just be reminding yourself of the stuff you heard first time out). And, of course, sometimes an album is just so great that I want to hear it over and over. I think I listened to Roc Marciano's Reloaded nine times the day it came out.
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 04/25/2014 00:44
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:

Yeah, sometimes. Mostly I'm a song-on-repeat sort of person. I listen to individual songs quite a bit for someone on an album based forum. Anyone else like this? A lot of times I even listen to a bunch of songs from the same album...don't really understand why I do that honestly. XD I've probably listened to entire albums out of order before from jumping around from song to song by an artist.
yourself

• Posted: 04/25/2014 00:48
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
I'm always afraid that it will lose its punch if I do that (though I have no data to support that fear). I try not to listen to an album more than once a day, no matter how much I like it.

Albums usually end up high on my chart because I either am currently playing them obsessively, or have played them obsessively in the past. It feels weird to me ranking something highly if I never actually listen to it. I can put something on my chart after only a few listens, but usually because I know/think I'm going to keep listening to it a lot. When I first got into my current #1 I was proabably playing it a couple times a day for a few weeks, I still play at least parts of it every other day or so.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/25/2014 00:59
  • Post subject:
yourself wrote:
Albums usually end up high my chart because I either am currently playing them obsessively, or have played them obsessively in the past. It feels weird to me ranking something highly if I never actually listen to it.

You see once a day as never listening?
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/25/2014 01:02
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:

I'm certain I've done this with every album on my overall chart, where I obsess over it for like a week, playing the album over and over and over, some times I do something similar to Brandon, where I could listen to one track on an album like 5 times in a row, then move onto the next, depends on mood really.

• Visit poster's website
yourself

• Posted: 04/25/2014 01:02
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
You see once a day as never listening?

Laughing haha no. I'm not really sure what I was exactly trying to say, just I think that I listen to some things a lot.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/25/2014 01:11
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
I'm certain I've done this with every album on my overall chart, where I obsess over it for like a week, playing the album over and over and over...

That's the thing right there. If I wear it out in a week, I feel like I've done myself a disservice. I've been kind of obsessing over Odessey and the Oracle for months now, mainly because I really space out the listening. Another thing about the spaced listening is that, if I'm lukewarm on an album the first time, sometimes it's actually because of my mood. Listening at a different time sometimes gives a different reaction.

I'm not being critical at all, btw, just curious about how others think about this stuff.

Quote:
Laughing haha no. I'm not really sure what I was exactly trying to say, just I think that I listen to some things a lot.

Haha, that's cool, I actually would have found it kind of fascinating if anybody viewed that as effectively "never listening."
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/25/2014 01:24
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
That's the thing right there. If I wear it out in a week, I feel like I've done myself a disservice. I've been kind of obsessing over Odessey and the Oracle for months now, mainly because I really space out the listening. Another thing about the spaced listening is that, if I'm lukewarm on an album the first time, sometimes it's actually because of my mood. Listening at a different time sometimes gives a different reaction.

I'm not being critical at all, btw, just curious about how others think about this stuff.

That's perfectly understandable, it just depends on the person really, sometimes I just find an album that I hear and as soon as I finish it I just need to hear it again straight away. I guess I should give spaced listening more of a chance as on rare occasions I've put albums away for like a year after not enjoying it on first listen, yet when I've finally returned to it I found out I'd actually really enjoy it in different circumstances (If You're Feeling Sinister being a prime example for me, though once I got into I obsessed over it, on an extreme scale...).

• Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 04/25/2014 01:33
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:

I try not to listen to an album more than once a month. When I was younger I listened to things over and over, and they were never the same to me afterwards.

For me, I want every listen to be savored. I thought I was doing that when I'd listen to albums repeatedly...but I was only burning myself out on them.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website