Artist Merging

View previous topic :: View next topic
satiemaniac

• Posted: 03/24/2014 03:15
  • Post subject: Artist Merging
The trio Broztmann / Van Hove / Bennink should be a distinct entity from the iteration featuring Albert Mangelsdorff that exists on Live in Berlin '71. Why have they been merged, as you can see here? http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?b=21683 I don't think it's really redundant to have two artists when an entire part of a jazz group is missing in most of the work of the former act, and if it IS redundant, why wouldn't it just be considered a Brotzmann / Van Hove / Bennink release with a featured artist (similar to how, say, Hip Harp could be considered the effort of Dorothy Ashby with a feature of Frank Wess or a collaborative work on the two, depending on the website). What are the policies for artist merging and not?
Hammy

• Posted: 03/24/2014 04:46
  • Post subject:
Brotzmann / Van Hove / Bennink doesn't exist as an artist on this site, so you will have to add them then edit the album "Balls". When you first added the album I'm assuming it got wrongly attached. I can't answer your last question though.
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 03/24/2014 05:10
  • Post subject:
I added them as an artist originally, though, because I remember picking their nationality out and confirming as I do with other artist creations.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/24/2014 10:31
  • Post subject: Re: Artist Merging
satiemaniac wrote:
The trio Broztmann / Van Hove / Bennink should be a distinct entity from the iteration featuring Albert Mangelsdorff that exists on Live in Berlin '71. Why have they been merged, as you can see here? http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?b=21683 I don't think it's really redundant to have two artists when an entire part of a jazz group is missing in most of the work of the former act, and if it IS redundant, why wouldn't it just be considered a Brotzmann / Van Hove / Bennink release with a featured artist (similar to how, say, Hip Harp could be considered the effort of Dorothy Ashby with a feature of Frank Wess or a collaborative work on the two, depending on the website). What are the policies for artist merging and not?

Apologies, it sounds like this was merged in error. This has now been fixed. Artists are normally only merged where they are the same & the newer entry is generally merged into the older entry with the same name. At the moment, BEA does not credit artists individually where they collaborate on a single release. This is likely to change in the future (& is something on the 2014 roadmap).
  • Visit poster's website