Faith Schools

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 08/13/2012 00:17
  • Post subject:
All oppression should be challanged, regardless of whether you are in the oppressed group.

Faith schools can exist but the majority of people who go to them have not made the decision to go to them themselves. That is where the problems arise. Who should be deciding what faith to teach to a child? The child, that's who! That should be something the child themselves decide when they understand it, not something taught as a fact alongside Maths and Science (unless all faiths are given equal time)

Personally, I disagree with the whole concept of school itself. I would much prefer a system where the child is given no restriction and they can decide what they do in their own time. They can learn from playing, drawing, creating or going around nature and the forest. They can choose when or if to learn to read and no age will be too late. Everything is down to them and everyday will be bliss. Smile I would make sure my children have the best childhood possible. No school/meat factory for them.

Alas, schools are a huge privliage in this world. It would be wrong to say my ideas should replace the current system as there are millions out there who would consider such an education a heavy send. All I wish is that they make a less soul sucking enviroment which drains everyone it can of creative energy. Less conformity, more individuality.
ZebraRock

• Posted: 08/13/2012 00:40
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:

Personally, I disagree with the whole concept of school itself. I would much prefer a system where the child is given no restriction and they can decide what they do in their own time. They can learn from playing, drawing, creating or going around nature and the forest. They can choose when or if to learn to read and no age will be too late. Everything is down to them and everyday will be bliss.

Very Rousseau, isn't it? I don't know, read Lord of the Flies, or something. That's basically what you're proposing. Schools don't have to be soul-sucking, you know. It all depends on you're experience.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/13/2012 01:17
  • Post subject:
I loved school. At the time I thought it sucked but looking back it was the best, I feel sorry for anybody who gets home schooled you're missing the best time of your life.

If my original post seemed a bit militant it was perhaps because I'd just seen a documentary exposing the very worst examples of faith schools in the UK. My primary school was CofE and the only religion we got was hymns in school assembly, we were too young to be taught sex ed and evolution though.

Secondary school was a regular state comprehensive. Teachers were liberal minded with regards race, sexuality, religion etc in the way that they weren't discriminatory but that's not really a sin and pretty much a prerequisite of you want to teach. Regarding politics I don't remember any talk of it for the whole time I was there, I don't remember any teacher expressing a specifically political opinion whilst I was there, but then maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Plus politics is so centralised in the UK anyway.

Evolution was taught as fact. Sex education was terrible. No mention of homosexuality in a positive or negative context as far as I can remember, at least from the teachers.

Thing is I know there's great faith schools out there who don't commit any of the things I suggested in the OP but I do still worry about the more conservative schools and what they're getting away with. And the issue of segregation remains like my point about Jewish and Muslim kids having no contact with one another can't be healthy. It just seems crazy how the government would spend public money to fund these schools. Leave it to the private schools at least.