A major problem with guns

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
Silver

• Posted: 03/05/2013 05:52
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
So, assuming our bullets CAN escape the gravity well, there's the slight problem that to travel 70 light years it would take, well, 70 years IF the bullet was travelling at the speed of light. If the bullet WASN'T disintegrated by friction and it actually hit some alien in the head, it would take them about 70 more years to travel back here, IF they could travel at the speed of light.

Now, large rifles fire projectiles at around 1500 m/s, tops. Speed of light is about 300000000 m/s (299792458 m/s exactly, but the numbers are prettier my way). So a bullet can traverse a light year in 200000 years. That's 70 light years in 14000000 years.

So yeah, if for some reason the bullet escaped the gravity well (it can't), and survived the resulting friction (it can't) without losing it's original speed at any point in it's journey (it would) and came upon an inhabited planet (highly improbable) and happened to hit someone in the head, and they realized where it came from and were angry about it, we could be looking at an invasion about 14 million years from now, plus the time it takes them to get here.

Those are dangerous odds. I'm building my bunker.
Happymeal

• Posted: 03/05/2013 05:56
  • Post subject:
Listen defago, I'm sure Jman doesn't want to talk to scientist, ya'll motherfuckers are lying and getting him pissed.