How much do these lists matter to you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
oldehamme

United States

• Posted: 03/13/2013 13:47
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
I've always liked the lists on the website http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/music0.html

That's awesome. I wasn't aware of this site. I'm going to have fun going through these. Thanks!
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 03/13/2013 14:24
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:
I've made a thread about the same. Here's the answer: http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi...p;start=10

Wow, thanks Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 03/13/2013 14:32
  • Post subject: Re: How much do these lists matter to you?
oldehamme wrote:
... the writing was very descriptive and entertaining. ... If no one I knew owned the album, I had to buy it and trust my luck. And, having made the investment, I made sure I gave the music a fair shot. I don't think I'm as patient about music today.

My experience mirrors yours a lot though i was lucky to have many friends passionate about music around me which had diverse taste so it would turn that except for a few obligatory purchases everybody's record collection was going in different directions. I specialized in the obscure, little known and solo albums that no one else wanted to buy. Man did I get a lot of crap but I did dig out a few gems.

I think reading magazines and official lists are important and that these lists are important mostly when they are very descriptive. like people said, no critic is ever going to be spot on to my taste every time but there is a responsability of mine to read what they say and figure out what will work with me. In time, you end up understanding critics and knowing when to take the bait and when to avoid. A critic whose taste differ from me can be just as helpful as one whose taste agree because the point is to find the gems but also to avoid going down the wrong path.

And like you, I am a child of the Rolling stones list. Funny how Rolling Stones is now often considered as conservative and mainstream music. Victims of their own success in picking out the winners I guess. Bands that are a shoe-in and appear as obvious choices on lists of preferred albums were brand new and unknown once upon a time too.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 03/13/2013 15:51
  • Post subject:
oldehamme wrote:
That's awesome. I wasn't aware of this site. I'm going to have fun going through these. Thanks!

Your welcome man! Enjoy it Smile

• Posted: 03/13/2013 16:20
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
Magazine lists mean nothing to me. They never have for albums, songs, musicians etc. Rolling Stone says Smells Like Teen Spirit is a better song than Stairway. WHAT??

I know plenty of people (including myself) who would rather strongly agree with that sentiment.

On topic: I've discovered a shit ton of music through this site. There haven't been too many albums I've come across on here that I'd never heard of, but there were a handful of albums, such as Loveless and The Stone Roses, that I probably never would have checked out had I not seen how huge they were on this site (they'd never really struck me as my style before then). Otherwise, I'm not too big on lists. I find them to be much too arbitrary generally. I mean, I talk shit on Rolling Stone's top 500 albums list a lot, but the truth is that NOBODY can make a top 500 that would make so much as half the population of music connoisseurs happy.

I'm also generally kind of opposed to "objective" lists like that. I'm okay with the lists on here because they're all about people sharing their opinions and seeing what the overall opinions among users are, but I made a thread a while back discussing how ranking music is frankly pretty reductive. I mean, at the end of the day, I'd say that taking any of the albums in our overall top 100 out of the world would have a pretty major impact on the world of music, so is it really fair to say OK Computer is more important or better than The Soft Bulletin?

A movie buff friend of mine put it best: The world of cinema (or music) is like a feast. You may prefer some parts of the feast over others, but at the end of the day the feast is nowhere near as satisfying if you take away any individual part of it. Something to think about, for sure.

Jasonconfused wrote:
I've always liked the lists on the website http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/music0.html

I've always liked this site, too. I especially like their prog metal list.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 03/13/2013 16:48
  • Post subject:
sheep21 wrote:

and a few others that aren't on the top of my head right now.

Sad
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 03/13/2013 18:58
  • Post subject:
Before I became addicted to the internet, my music guide was a ragged copy of the Rolling Stone 500. I worked my way through most of that in high school and early college. During early college, I discovered Pitchfork, and worked my way through the top 50 of each of their decade lists. Along the way, I've plucked albums from other publications lists (especially Scaruffi) as well as the charts on here. I use year-end lists to see if albums show up repeatedly across publications, but beyond that I don't use lists often anymore. I don't even get many recs from the BEA site anymore, really (last good one was Ghosts of the Great Highway); I've just got a backlog of stuff to listen to from Cellar Door and Magenta. Anyways, I owe a great debt to other publications' lists and user charts.

However, now I'm pretty much on my own outside of those backlogged recs. Since at least January, I've been fleshing out the discographies of bands I love but haven't heard everything from. I rely a lot on Spotify's similar artist suggestions now for finding new musicians.
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 03/13/2013 21:48
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
A movie buff friend of mine put it best: The world of cinema (or music) is like a feast. You may prefer some parts of the feast over others, but at the end of the day the feast is nowhere near as satisfying if you take away any individual part of it. Something to think about, for sure.

A feast with less choices becomes a meal. It satiates but it is not a feast. The difference between survival and living .... Aaaaaaargh, brains .....
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website