undefined

• Posted: 03/17/2013 22:36
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
In before walrus.
Silver

• Posted: 03/18/2013 02:09
  • Post subject:
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

This album is the best, second only to Hospice. Pete Townshend is god man.
daftpunter

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2013 05:26
  • Post subject:
Quadrophenia is the greatest 80 minutes in rock history. Townshed was always over reaching in his album concepts. First with 'The Who Sell Out' with the concept of a pirate radio program breaking down midway through side two. For the time it was groundbreaking stuff. Tommy was a simple mess. The concept was odd in using a traumatized cult figure to bring down the concept of organized cult religion (it was actually just a way for Townshend to work out is own childhood abuse, but that's for a shrink and biographer). The album consisted of about four great songs, three average Who tunes and filler attempting to make a story line work. Then came Lighthouse. A concept that completely broke down under it's own weight and a record company unwilling to release a 2nd consecutive double album and ended up as Who's Next. That album, though truly wonderful and a top 100 pick of my own, should have been the greatest album ever if "Pure and Easy", "The Relay", "Long Live Rock", "Join Together" and a number of other great singles from that concept would have not been left off the album. A missed opportunity.
So Townshend decides to do an autobiographical concept using the lead character Jimmy as another fractured psychie divided into the personalities of four members of the Who, thus the term Quadrophenia. Ok, He was reaching. But it's a concept he could pull off because he's doesn't reach further than the times he lived. Like all great story line in the album jacket help tie the album together. Of the 17 songs on the album not one...not one is a dud.
From "The Sea" through "Love Reign O'er Me" the process of Jimmy trying to find an identity ("The Real Me", "Quadrophenia"), becoming a mod an learning the life of a true follower ("The Punk Meets The Godfather", "Cut My Hair", "I'm One"), the realization that the life of a gang member/lemming/ordinary Joe may be more than he deserves ("The Dirty Jobs, "Helpless Dancer", "Is It In My Head", "I've Had Enough") to self realization ("5:15", "Sea and Sand", "Drowned"), discovering your a follower of a sellout ("Bell Boy"), dealing with addiction ("Doctor Jimmy"), to grown up realization the you are your own man staring into the void of adulthood ("The Rock", "Love Reign O'er Me").
The concept holds up. One amazing song after another. Each member of The Who making contributions that will never be attained again by any member of the band. This is the last great hurrah of Keith Moon. Manic drumming that finds restraint song by song. He was always the true power of the band and he demonstrates that ability more so on this album than any other. Entwistle is lost, for the most part, in the mix. The Real Me is his showcase but should you get a copy of soundtrack you'll get to hear EXACTLY why he was probably the greatest bassist in rock and roll history. Townshend is simply magnificent throughout. And Daltry tops his Who's Next performance on virtually every song (at least the one's Townshend doesn't sing).
Yes I'm a fan. You become one because an album just blows you away. My favorite album, bar none. Got to see them in Atlantic City in March '13. For a couple of old geezers singing about their teen years, they were awesome. And not because I'm also a lemming. The songs were, and were performed, amazingly well. THE GREATEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME.
Silver

• Posted: 03/18/2013 05:35
  • Post subject:
I like this guy above me, he's a good guy. Saw them in January myself, it was absolutely mindblowing.