Chart of the day (#559): By dwils0891

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
JMan

• Posted: 04/25/2013 23:49
  • Post subject:
DLGGLD wrote:
He only knows the sound of mine off his forehead.

If you don't stop that, I will ignore you instantly. You said you didn't want bad blood, well you're starting to cause it.
Silver

• Posted: 04/26/2013 06:20
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
Laughing
EDIT: After reading Squid's below comment, I'm very sure he'll NEVER understand the beauty of a rock opera.

The beauty of a rock opera is a non-existent thing. Speaking as someone who's second favorite album of all time is Quadrophenia, the concept of a rock opera is pretty silly and nearly impossible to pull off naturally. The Who managed to get away with it twice somehow, but most rock operas are pure tripe that bands make when they've run out of any actual real creativity and need to get their "new, brilliant ideas" across. The music almost always suffers for it and the rock opera is dead in general. I will not mourn it.

• Posted: 04/26/2013 12:26
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:
The beauty of a rock opera is a non-existent thing. Speaking as someone who's second favorite album of all time is Quadrophenia, the concept of a rock opera is pretty silly and nearly impossible to pull off naturally. The Who managed to get away with it twice somehow, but most rock operas are pure tripe that bands make when they've run out of any actual real creativity and need to get their "new, brilliant ideas" across. The music almost always suffers for it and the rock opera is dead in general. I will not mourn it.

Yeah, this. It's VERY rare that a band can pull off a rock opera, and whenever they do it seems as though it's because they don't go out of their way to force the story into the music (examples for me would include American Idiot, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, and Ziggy Stardust if you count that as a rock opera). It's a near impossible thing to do, however.

• Posted: 04/26/2013 12:26
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:

Yeah, this. It's VERY rare that a band can pull off a rock opera, and whenever they do it seems as though it's because they don't go out of their way to force the story into the music (examples for me would include American Idiot, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, and Ziggy Stardust if you count that as a rock opera). It's a near impossible thing to do, however.
JMan

• Posted: 04/26/2013 15:52
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:

Rock operas are generally supposed to have weird stories.

1. Tommy = A deaf, dumb, blind kid that pays a mean pinball. (The Who shouldn't have gotten away with this one.)
2. The Wall = A man builds a mental wall around himself to completely isolate himself from society and eventually being unable to communicate with those around him.
3. Metropolis Part 2 = A man sees a female from the 1920's every time he closes his eyes. That female could be him in a past life.
4. Operation: Mindcrime = A government man turns a heroin addict into his own professional assassin.
5. Along Came a Spider = A serial killer called Spider goes around killing women, cutting of a leg, and wrapping them in white silk that represents webbing. He needs eight to complete the sequence, but he falls in love with his final victim.
6. (I always put this in all capitals because the name is so awesome.) THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST AND THE SPIDERS FROM MARS: An alien tells Earth that even though Earth only has five years to live, there will be someone to save them.

The beauty of rock operas is that they are so different from your average story, and that it can somehow increase your interest in the music, if you like the story. The beauty of a rock opera is a real thing. As a fan, I would know.
thursdayeno

• Posted: 04/26/2013 16:25
  • Post subject:
i think townshend's best songwriting on his first 3 solo albums

Anybody can make 'good' music. I make terrible music, which is what makes it so different, and therefore better. ~ Thom Yorke
  • Visit poster's website