Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 06/18/2013 11:43
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Guys, he was joking. I'm sure Applerill understands that his opinion doesn't dictate fact.

swedenman, official BEA irony detector.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/18/2013 12:26
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
swedenman, official BEA irony detector.

Cool
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 06/18/2013 13:22
  • Post subject:
In all seriousness, though, Master of Puppets is really great. It's sorta been deadened by the enormous amount of radio airplay, but it still stands as one of the thrash classics.

But I genuinely don't see what makes The Black Album any better than, say, Creed's Human Clay (which I occasionally do karaoke to, so I sorta see it's merit). Basically, it's proto-post-grunge/nu-metal. It's not horrible, but it's so BORING. There are a million singles like the ones featured throughout the nineties. This is also what makes Death Magnetic crap (aside from the super-compressed mastering that makes it sound like diarrhea)

That's what most people don't understand about St. Anger and Lulu. Say what you want about their "objective quality", but if nothing else, they were unique. St. Anger represented what it was like to be at your worst, climbing up through personal pain, and Lulu was the closing thing music had to Tommy Wiseau's The Room (Which is an awesome movie, BTW).
  • Visit poster's website
Evandar

• Posted: 06/18/2013 20:28
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
In all seriousness, though, Master of Puppets is really great. It's sorta been deadened by the enormous amount of radio airplay, but it still stands as one of the thrash classics.

But I genuinely don't see what makes The Black Album any better than, say, Creed's Human Clay (which I occasionally do karaoke to, so I sorta see it's merit). Basically, it's proto-post-grunge/nu-metal. It's not horrible, but it's so BORING. There are a million singles like the ones featured throughout the nineties. This is also what makes Death Magnetic crap (aside from the super-compressed mastering that makes it sound like diarrhea)

That's what most people don't understand about St. Anger and Lulu. Say what you want about their "objective quality", but if nothing else, they were unique. St. Anger represented what it was like to be at your worst, climbing up through personal pain, and Lulu was the closing thing music had to Tommy Wiseau's The Room (Which is an awesome movie, BTW).

Eh, this is the first time I've ever seen anyone compare the Black Album to grunge and/or nu-metal. To me, the Black Album exists in its own tiny bubble, quite distinct from what was happening in hard rock/metal at the time. Yeah, sure, it was way more commercial than anything they released before, but in that they rather set an example than following anyone else. Other thrash bands would soon follow suit (as usual) and fail miserably. I haven't really heard any band emulate the Black Album properly either. Maybe some have tried, but noone has managed to, unless I've missed something. Anyway, all the major grunge bands had a vastly different sound/style, and same goes for the major nu-metal bands.

Also, I'd say St. Anger and Death Magnetic are roughly of the same quality, but I respect St. Anger slightly more because they tried something new (for them), while on Death Magnetic they just tried to recapture their glory days (which would be fine if it actually had any worthwhile songs). As for Lulu...it's not that I hate it, I just didn't have any desire to listen to the whole thing beyond the two songs I saw they played live on that Jools Holland show.

But this is about Master of Puppets, isn't it! I love the album, and it remains one of my favourites to this day. I will say that Leper Messiah is a rather weak track, and The Thing That Should Not Be is not quite up to par either, but the remaining six songs are pretty much flawless. Though I prefer ...AJFA and (these days) RTL, there's no denying that Master of Puppets will forever remain one of the most important and best metal albums ever released. \m/
  • Visit poster's website