Bands by State/Province

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 07/05/2013 07:31
  • Post subject:
I don't see why this has to be complicated.

Keep the nationality / flags the way they are. Instead, add the more specific location as part of an added detail in the description. So far, when somebody adds a band, the only info that's filled in is nationality. I think there could be more, including state/province and city. Also include the names of the band members IF it's a band (perhaps add a thing where we choose "solo artist" or "band"), and next to each member add the duration of which that member was a part of that band (like, Syd Barret was a member of Pink Floyd between 1965 and 1968 - also add something like a "whole career" option, or whatever the right phrasing is, for someone like Robert Smith of The Cure). Also add when a band formed and when they disbanded (if they disbanded yet), and when they reformed and disbanded again if needed.

Just a suggestion.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 07/05/2013 08:52
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:

Keep the nationality / flags the way they are. Instead, add the more specific location as part of an added detail in the description. So far, when somebody adds a band, the only info that's filled in is nationality. I think there could be more, including state/province and city. Also include the names of the band members IF it's a band (perhaps add a thing where we choose "solo artist" or "band"), and next to each member add the duration of which that member was a part of that band (like, Syd Barret was a member of Pink Floyd between 1965 and 1968 - also add something like a "whole career" option, or whatever the right phrasing is, for someone like Robert Smith of The Cure). Also add when a band formed and when they disbanded (if they disbanded yet), and when they reformed and disbanded again if needed.

Just a suggestion.

This would be a lot of work, but it would be great.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/05/2013 09:14
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
This would be a lot of work, but it would be great.

Maybe I should've mentioned the band members thing as being just an additional suggestion, since location relates more to this thread. It was something that came to mind because it related to band info that I feel is missing here.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 07/05/2013 09:57
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:
Maybe I should've mentioned the band members thing as being just an additional suggestion, since location relates more to this thread. It was something that came to mind because it related to band info that I feel is missing here.

Actually I don't think locations are that important (except maybe for the UK). Band members would be a much more interesting addition IMO.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 07/05/2013 10:30
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
Actually I don't think locations are that important (except maybe for the UK). Band members would be a much more interesting addition IMO.

It seems like an awful lot of information to be adding, to me anyway, I mean band member details are all up on sites like Wikipedia, why not just put links to the bands Wikipedia page instead of adding all this extra information to the site.

• Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/05/2013 12:20
  • Post subject:
The info could be added over any stretch of time. All I'm suggesting is the option to add that kind of data. Maybe some obscure bands won't have that data for a while and that's fine imo. Plus, adding names and such could help BEA come up in search engines more often.
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/05/2013 12:32
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:
The info could be added over any stretch of time. All I'm suggesting is the option to add that kind of data. Maybe some obscure bands won't have that data for a while and that's fine imo. Plus, adding names and such could help BEA come up in search engines more often.

*85% percent of people find this site by searching "best (artist name here) album". Fact.

*Not a legit fact.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/05/2013 12:38
  • Post subject:
You could try a poll (if it hasn't been done already).
JMan

• Posted: 07/05/2013 15:26
  • Post subject: Re: Bands by State/Province
EyeKanFly wrote:
I was looking through the top-rated bands, and it's nice that you can sort by country, but I was thinking it would be neat if we could go further, i.e. US state, Canadian province, country of the UK.

It would be neat seeing the top artists from California, Montreal, or Scotland, for example.

I just thought it would be neat, though I'm not sure how difficult this would be to implement.

Hmm, I jave miced feelings about this idea. I kinda like it, but I also feel that it's going a tad overboard. I do want to see the best Scottish albums, though.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 07/05/2013 17:22
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
I also posted this is response on the previous thread (and it still stands): "At some stage, BEA will capture this [countries] in more detail and also add the city of origin so that we could then use the data to drill into bands from Seattle, Liverpool, Bristol etc and allow us to plot the data geo-spatially. Personally, I'd prefer to wait until this is added before revising the list of countries too much (I think as well there might be other affected countries in BEA's country list, apart from those in the UK). There are also a few knock-on effects that make this quite a bit of work and I'd prefer to do this as a single unit of work, rather than have to re-visit it multiple times (particularly, given the time constraints I am operating under at the moment)."

That's good to know, and a great idea. Sorry for starting this thread when this was already discussed. I genuinely looked for another suggestion thread about artists by state, but I didn't find that one.

Also, I agree with others who have said that this suggestion would be much nicer for the UK than for USA or Canada. It would be difficult for artists like The National or Animal Collective (using examples already mentioned), but it would have to be determined on a case-by-case basis, just like country is. For example, I'd consider The Jimi Hendrix Experience and The Bee Gees to be ambiguous cases with regard to country (Hendrix American but the band British and formed in London; Gibb brothers born on Isle of Man but started music career in Australia).

The Poe wrote:

Just a suggestion.

I like this, but as others have said, it would be oodles of work, and is starting to look similar to Wikipedia. However, it's a really nice idea. Especially city/place of origin (which should be a little clearer than "state" or "country" as it currently stands).

A date the band formed would also be great. Disbanded is a good idea too, but since sometimes bands disband and get back together, maybe a range of years active would be better? For example, New Order would be active from 1980-1993, 1998-2007, and 2011 to present.

I'm not so sure I'd like to see band members, as it might get muddled. For bands like The Beatles or Nirvana it would be concise and clear, but for bands like Fleetwood Mac or The Polyphonic Spree? That could get things a bit muddled.

I think what might be a little nicer, instead of listing members on the band page, would be listing band members on the album page, saying who worked on the album, and maybe that could transfer over to the band page (if it's a band)? I think that would be a bit nicer since it wouldn't include touring members (unless a live album), and sometimes band members fluctuate before the group establishes themselves or after the group starts to get old and/or have members die. Also, I think this would be neat for albums like Kind of Blue, Aja, or The Boxer, which have guest musicians.