Where is your life heading?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 07/19/2013 00:33
  • Post subject:
All that I can say is that I pray that mine is going in a good direction. Smile Smile Smile

God bless you always!!! Smile Smile Smile

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2013 01:11
  • Post subject:
Hell if I know.
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2013 03:38
  • Post subject:
I'm never quite as sure anymore, but I think I'm starting to get things under control. I just have to stick with it now.

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 07/19/2013 21:31
  • Post subject:
I'm stuck and trying to make the most of it. I probably needed to be stuck.
  • Visit poster's website
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/22/2013 12:29
  • Post subject: Re: Where is your life heading?
an_outlaw wrote:
Do you like the direction? Do you believe you can follow a different path or are you convinced you are stuck? Think

I never worked to any great plan, just went where life took me but I was stuck for a looong time. Spent far too much of my life with a the same bunch of guys, fighting a losing battle to extend the crazy days of youth well into our thirties. The main problem with that path is the law of diminishing returns comes into play. Trying to recapture classic moments of the past, ignoring the fact that the reason these things are so great the first time is mainly because they are new experiences. Reminiscing is fun but focusing on recreating or stringing out those experiences is simply reducing the likelihood of encountering more new experiences.

I felt the education system had failed me so I had no interest in college. It didn't matter how many time I was told that college was nothing like school I just wanted to focus on experimenting with drink, drugs, comedy and women. I had a few jobs here and there, working in warehouses, cleaning, digging holes but it wasn't until I started working at the local multiplex that I really found my rut. I got my foot in the door of the projection booth and never looked back. The hours sucked and the pay sucked but it was enough to keep me in beer, puff, videos and cds. The major bonus being that I loved the job, was good at it, was still able to dick around and could also watch movies for free.

So, I kept doing that for about 20 years. I decided to shake things up a bit, took a year's sabbatical around '98, had an incredible time exploring New Zealand but when I got back home I found my old life sitting there waiting for me to pick up where I left off.

Skip to 2006 and not much had changed. Videos were now dvds, cds were mp3s, there was a little less beer and probably a little more smoke. As one of my mates at work kept telling me, I was living the dream! Then I hooked up with my now wife, cleaned up my act, bought a house, got married which was then followed by the 'obligatory' falling out with some old friends.

Now, I realise I haven't even answered the question yet but bear with me, I'm just setting the scene. Autumn 2010 arrives bearing the twin gifts of redundancy and multiple sclerosis. Thanks to the rise of the machines, projectors went digital and my whole department was made redundant. An entire field of expertise was tossed aside in the name of something they call 'progress'. But I wasn't bitter, well not for long anyway because the following month, I was crippled by a mystery illness. So, it transpired that I had 'probable' MS which has required something of a lifestyle change, to say the least.

The reason I'm saying all this is because having my life turned upside down has not been a wholly negative experience. It has caused both me and my wife to really look at what we find important in life. Although I've been unable to work, I've spent the last year studying counselling, which I've really enjoyed and feel has given me a new lease of life. My wife's had enough of working in London and wants to start running her own B&B, so it looks like we'll be turning our backs on this redevelopmental nightmare called Thurrock and, hopefully, moving up to the Cairngorms, which is a stunning part of the world.

So, yes, I do believe you can follow a different path but sometimes you need help finding it.
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 07/22/2013 14:04
ButterThumbz wrote:
So, yes, I do believe you can follow a different path but sometimes you need help finding it.

Wow, I really enjoyed reading that ! It had a Cinema Paradiso feel to it Very Happy

I hope your medical condition gets better or stabilizes. Neurological diseases are still unfortunately rather mysterious and difficult to cure, but developing new interests and work abilities is definitely a good fight.

I for myself feel stuck on a monorail. Not that I haven't had any exciting experiences over the years, or an interesting childhood, but I sometimes feel like things beyond my control are pushing me forwards in a certain direction. It's scary and yet reassuring at the same time.

• Visit poster's website
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/22/2013 15:27
CellarDoor wrote:
Wow, I really enjoyed reading that ! It had a Cinema Paradiso feel to it Very Happy

I hope your medical condition gets better or stabilizes. Neurological diseases are still unfortunately rather mysterious and difficult to cure, but developing new interests and work abilities is definitely a good fight.

I for myself feel stuck on a monorail. Not that I haven't had any exciting experiences over the years, or an interesting childhood, but I sometimes feel like things beyond my control are pushing me forwards in a certain direction. It's scary and yet reassuring at the same time.

I'm pleased you enjoyed reading that. Comparisons to Cinema Paradiso might be going a little far but thanks!

My condition is quite stable at the moment, no sign of progression, it's just a matter of managing symptoms. There is currently no cure but there's interesting research going on all the time.

I'm constantly surprised at how I'm coping with it. Sometimes I think it's because I haven't fully understood the seriousness of it all and sometimes I just think the maybe we're a lot more resilient than we think we are.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/23/2013 01:01
  • Post subject:
Yeah I enjoyed reading that too. Good luck with coping with the MS Smile
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2013 02:01
  • Post subject:
I'm gradually giving up.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 07/23/2013 03:15
  • Post subject:
Gonna finish up my degree then go to Korea for a year to teach English.

Some time within the next 11 months I plan to move out of my mom's for the second time, because fucking in your parents house gets old after you turn 12.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website