Currebt U.S. Foreign Policy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic
joannajewsom

• Posted: 02/01/2009 15:12
  • Post subject:
TrippyT, I would like to thank you.

First, I would like to thank you for pointing out that I obviously must be bias because my name is JoannaJewsom. Because, you know, people can't be pro-anything without being bias. Of course! Does that mean that you are bias against Jews because you are not Jewish? Maybe that's not the same, but we can assume that you have a pro-Britain bias because you're British, right?

I would also like to thank you for exposing my unreliable sources. This point wasn't already discussed, so thanks for bringing this up. Elston and I did not spend three or four posts discussing my sources, and I did not already give many reasons why reading their reports should not be dismissed simply because they are pro-Israel, before they are read and the info they present is checked. And thanks for the history behind these groups, because this was not already discussed excessively. Overall, thanks for that miraculous revelation.

Also, thank you for giving me links to articles that prove BBC pro-Israel bias. I wish that I would have cited some articles and other facts that argue for an anti-Israel bias in those previous posts. But even if I did cite actual reports and articles, the articles you point out from the almighty Glasgow and Loughborough would obviously trump them.

Also, thank you for the urls to the guardian articles on an extremely recent occurrence as proof of a BBC bias (not a stretch, by the way), but not including this article...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree...-alexander

...in which one of your beloved guardian reporters states that "In the past 10 years it [BBC] has been heavily scrutinised by lobbying organisations which have levelled the charge of antisemitism and anti-Israel bias at BBC coverage of Israel and Palestine." I should've known that the ten or so years, and many decades before that, should not be discussed. Something that has happened last week is the end all be all.

Also, thanks for pointing out that Mark Thompson's wife and kids are Jewish. Trippy logic would tell you that he obviously has a pro-Israel bias. Also, thanks for not pointing out that his kids are actually being raised Roman Catholic. We all know that, ultimately, the religion of his children aren't proof of anything, but you might as well make misleading comments just in case in can be used as proof. That's for schooling me to some effective strategies.

I'd also like to thank you for breaking new ground and introducing me to some innovations in the field of Middle East discourse. I have engaged in many discussions, read many books/articles, watched many films, and attended many panels concerning the conflict; but I have never heard anyone mention Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, and Ross Geller, a fictional character, in a discussion on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. That is truly revolutionary. Also, thanks for bringing up Hollywood films about Vietnam, Kosovo, Somalia, and Rwanda. Again, you are really taking me to school. It's so innovative to bring up completely irrelevant points.

Thanks for citing numbers of civilians killed but not putting it in the context of the entire conflict, like maxxy did. Thanks for referring to schools, shelters, and ambulances in the plural but linking articles that only reference school and ambulance in the singular. Thanks for completely ignoring what constitutes genocide and terrorism, throwing out some numbers, mixing it in a pot and poof! I didn't know that X + Y - Context= Genocide. Thank you for the lesson on determining what is genocide.

Thanks for ignoring the fact that Palestine was never an independent state and, politically, did not own that land. Usually, both sides can agree on this undeniable fact. Thanks for ignoring the fact that they were on the losing side of two world wars, as well as the other factors that lead to the political situation that they have been in since the 19th century. Thanks for not even bothering to acknowledge my point that you need to go back far before 1948 to find the true culprits. Thanks for throwing out some silly analogy about Iraq being given to Mormons as if Jewish history in 'Palestine' is comparable to Mormon history in Iraq. Thanks for the lesson on how to make an amazing analogy.

Thanks for taking my reference to Arab massacres against Jews out of context, completely ignoring my point that Arab hostility towards Jews was present well before 1948, and then referencing a massacre that occurred in 1948 in response. Thanks for not disproving my earlier point.

Thanks for completely ignoring the history of Irgun, the amount of opposition to it by most Zionists, and the fact that Begin didn't become PM until the late 70s, 30 years post- Irgun.

Thanks for stating that Israelis haven't been willing to negotiate, and ignoring the fact that it was the Israelis who accepted and the Arabs who turned down deals in 37, 48, 67, and 2001. Thanks for ignoring the many powerful Arab political groups and leaders that have, famously, over the past 60 years absolutely refused to even recognize Israeli's right to exist.

Thank you, TrippyT, for all of your groundbreaking innovations in the realm of discourse. My favorite would have to be your complete disregard for facts cited concerning points already agreed upon, the response of hyperbolic "absolutely untrue" (because that makes you sound so much smarter), followed by a claim that doesn't prove anything at all. I think we can all learn a lesson from you. I bow to your wisdom.
  • Visit poster's website
TrippyT

• Posted: 02/01/2009 17:04
  • Post subject:
test

Last edited by TrippyT on 04/18/2010 11:51; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 02/02/2009 06:00
  • Post subject:
well, I definitely appreciate all the links, some of which cleared up some fuzzy areas. Thanks!

The recent conflict was not started by Hamas rocket fire. Make no mistake - Hamas fired 0 rockets at Israel until Nov. 4th. Israeli soliders raided a tunnel inside the Gaza strip and killed 6 members of Hamas. After this, the rocket fire escalated.
  • Visit poster's website
TrippyT

• Posted: 02/02/2009 12:23
  • Post subject:
test

Last edited by TrippyT on 04/18/2010 11:51; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
maxxy

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2009 00:36
  • Post subject:
Wow...I was misinformed. Either way, the problem started 60 years ago with the creation of Israel, which was, in some ways, a good idea, but in other ways one of the worst foreign policy commitments the US has ever made. Problem is now we can't stop worrying about Israel without looking like complete and utter assholes (then again what else can we do to hurt our world image, you know?...)
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 02/03/2009 07:11
  • Post subject:
I don't quite understand how Israel was created. The decision to partition the country was left up to the U.N. and not to the people living in the country...is that legal? I think things got considerably hairy after the 1967 war, but I couldn't say for sure that was the major turning point.
  • Visit poster's website
maxxy

United States

• Posted: 02/04/2009 12:55
  • Post subject:
Well, the British pulled out of the Mandate of Palestine in 1947, so the United Nations split the area into two parts, one Jewish and one Arab. The Arabs did not accept the plan, and began a civil war. They lost, leaving Israel as an entirely Jewish-controlled state. Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, and Iraq invaded Israel. In the end, almost a million Arabs fled Israel and Israel was admitted to the UN. A large source of today's conflict is the fate of the Palestinian refugees.