Your best year of life?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
Satie

• Posted: 10/05/2015 14:15
  • Post subject:
I'd have to say this year, most likely. After having a relationship come to a pretty fucking terrible ending in December '14, I stopped doing the usual thing of separating myself from the problems that were there and throwing blame at the other person and did a lot of soul-searching through the beginning of this year after a little self-destructive streak. I assessed a lot of things about myself and have taken pretty active steps to change them. I'm dating someone again as of about four months ago who's absolutely perfect, and we get along much better than I have with anyone I've dated before and it's wonderful. I went on my first archaeological dig this summer. I'm just content all the time and sadness is always situational, and this might be the longest period of time I've gone without caustic depression, so. Yeah. 2015.
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 10/05/2015 15:21
  • Post subject:
Although this isn't a year, per se, my sophomore year of college (Fall 2013/Spring 2014) was probably my best. Not for any exciting reasons, either, it was more just that I was doing better in school, in a relationship, and generally having a good time. Obviously there were plenty of issues, but the highs were higher.

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 10/05/2015 15:31
  • Post subject:
This has been weird to think about since seeing this thread. At first I thought probably last year was the best, as Id had a string of great years that kept getting better it seemed. And my first reaction to 2015 was that it just hadnt been as good. But now that Ive thought about it for a while thats not really true.. Its just Ive done a lot of stuff that the beginning of the year seems so long ago.

Started and destroyed a few relationships, went to Europe, graduated, got a cool new job, moved cities all happened within the first half of the year. Not to mention finally slipping into a new music niche so to speak.

If theres one thing that maybe hasnt been as good (or that Im still not used to) is that one of my major friend groups sort of dissipated this year. We're now split into different cities, countries and continents and its weird not seeing them daily, weekly or even monthly anymore.

I dont know if this is the best year of my life, but it's probably the one Ive grown the most in. If anything Im laying the foundation for better years to come.
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 10/05/2015 19:45
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
went to Europe

Flogging a dead horse

• Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 10/05/2015 20:56
  • Post subject:
CellarDoor wrote:
Flogging a dead horse

Embarassed

Never went to France though I'm afraid..

The near miss streak continues
  • Visit poster's website
Goodsir

• Posted: 10/05/2015 22:36
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
I'd have to say this year, most likely. After having a relationship come to a pretty fucking terrible ending in December '14, I stopped doing the usual thing of separating myself from the problems that were there and throwing blame at the other person and did a lot of soul-searching through the beginning of this year after a little self-destructive streak. I assessed a lot of things about myself and have taken pretty active steps to change them. I'm dating someone again as of about four months ago who's absolutely perfect, and we get along much better than I have with anyone I've dated before and it's wonderful. I went on my first archaeological dig this summer. I'm just content all the time and sadness is always situational, and this might be the longest period of time I've gone without caustic depression, so. Yeah. 2015.

I'll second this year as my best year yet. I've done a lot of soul-searching as well and this summer I realized that the only person who brought sadness on me was myself. I can't subscribe to pessimism as a constant anymore. It's just tiring. I've tried being less vain and overly-serious in situations where it's not needed, and that's helped a ton as well. Every now and then I'll get sad again, but like Satie said it's always been situational.

And it's truly great to hear that things are going well for you Tyler! If it means anything, it's definitely shown on this forum. Your posts have been nothing but a pleasure to read lately, and it's great to have you around. Smile
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 10/05/2015 23:19
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I've always felt like every year has good things and bad things, and often one of those two are necessary for the other set to happen.

Exactly how I feel. It makes the question very difficult to answer.

2009 was a really rollercoaster year for me. I made some life long friends, but also suffered a few tragedies. It was likely the year in which I was most emotionally present in my own life, and on the final day of the year I met my wife. Last year was pretty incredible, considering I got married. And this year is turning out to be one of the best of my life.
  • Visit poster's website
Sometype

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/16/2015 18:13
  • Post subject:
This year by miles (visted Rome, Amsterdam, London, 4 year anniversary, FA cup win, finally applied for uni) but 2010 comes pretty close.
zdwyatt

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2015 21:09
  • Post subject:
For now, I'd say 2012. Bought a house, had a kid, enjoyed my job. It was the first year where being an adult actually felt uniformly good. I fully expect 2016 or 2017 to supplant it. My wife and I will pay off a couple student loans and my son will start kindergarten. We'll have so much more money I can hardly stand it.
  • Visit poster's website
Gigantic

Christmas Island

• Posted: 11/18/2015 21:25
  • Post subject:
im at present living in a run down 24/7 partyhouse in mtl, have a happy & healthy open relationship w/ fruitful extra-relationship ventures, and am feeling moderately alright. this year is p cool.

add me on FESTIVE msn messanger

festive signature! ho ho ho!

⛄⛄⛄
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website