Album of the day (#2001): The Midnight Organ Fight

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/22/2016 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2001): The Midnight Organ Fight
Today's album of the day

The Midnight Organ Fight by Frightened Rabbit (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2008.
Overall rank: 1,406
Average rating: 77/100 (from 92 votes).

Tracks:
1. Modern Leper
2. I Feel Better
3. Good Arms vs Bad Arms
4. Fast Blood
5. Old Old Fashioned
6. Twist
7. Bright Pink Bookmark
8. Head Rolls Off
9. My Backwards Walk
10. Keep Yourself Warm
11. Extrasupervery
12. Poke
13. Floating in the Forth
14. Who'd You Kill Now?

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/22/2016 20:08
  • Post subject:
I've never even heard of it, which is kinda odd given how high it is on our overall (as well as the fact that they're from Britain - I was reading a hell of a lot of music press in 2008, so I'm not entirely sure how this passed me by). Can anybody say anything to convince me that this is something I need to hear, or am I as well off remaining ignorant?
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2016 20:23
  • Post subject:
40FootWoof used to love this back in the day. His blog Styrofoam Boots had the following to say about it:
Quote:
Is this indie pop? I've been wondering. Because there's nothing beautiful. There's nothing that could end Frightened Rabbit along side late decade main examples Grizzly Bear, Fleet Foxes, and of Montreal. There's nothing beautiful. This is not music for warm days lying on the grass with your girlfriend. There's nothing cute.

And I don't want to spew rhetoric here, but sometimes there's nothing else you can do. Frightened Rabbit have a way of turning every instrument into percussion, mimicking the hard beating heart of the singer, wishing himself death and ruin. Trying to rip his arms off. Begging girls to leave him and declaring war. Hutchison sings with such a desperate calmness, like the pursued in a foot chase, pausing for half a second to choose witch way to run. Sure the songs are catchy but their more involved than that.

The music perhaps sets them alongside Los Campesinos, causing a cacophonous row using only indie pop techniques. But there's something about Frightened Rabbit, something about the modest and difficult honesty of the songs, or maybe it is just all based from Hutchison's delivery, but

It's hard to separate this album from your life. Its hard to look at this music. It seems almost self evident, part of the street outside, of the furnishing of your house, something thats there, undeniably, that's true without you trying to make it so. It should be so hard to listen to but it's just so easy. Something that's just part of life. That's what these songs are.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2016 20:48
  • Post subject:
I'm actually pretty shocked how high this is on the overall. I really love this album, the band as a whole is much more hit and miss, but this is some fun Scottish folk.

I think what sets it apart for me from their other stuff and most similar music is the amount of legitimate energy and care behind it. A lot of their other releases suffer from sounding like it's just music for music's sake and they don't care, but both this and the new one seem rooted enough in reality that they work.

Skinny I wouldn't be shocked if you knew this tune as it got kind of "big" by their standards at least:

Link

I dunno. It honestly wouldn't shock me if their stuff is a bit benign for your tastes, skating the line of too catchy or lively to be heartbreaking enough to be worthwhile. They've been compared to the Scottish equivalent of The National which I wouldn't disagree with necessarily but isn't exactly spot on either.

The one that means the most to me and has served as the soundtrack to many a goodbye as I went off to college was this one:

Link

which I think is absolutely one of the most gorgeous songs ever written.

There's also a full live version of this album available here which I think is pretty great, and has a pretty cool Twilight Sad feature on Keep Yourself warm:

Link

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/22/2016 21:00
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
Skinny I wouldn't be shocked if you knew this tune as it got kind of "big" by their standards at least:

Link

I dunno. It honestly wouldn't shock me if their stuff is a bit benign for your tastes, skating the line of too catchy or lively to be heartbreaking enough to be worthwhile. They've been compared to the Scottish equivalent of The National which I wouldn't disagree with necessarily but isn't exactly spot on either.

Never heard that song until now, but I like it. Can definitely understand the National comparison. Will d/l the album and put it into one of those random Notepad files full of album names that act as a "listen to this before you die" list.