Rock is dead?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic
boyd94

• Posted: 05/29/2016 08:39
  • Post subject:
Yeh, looking at mainstream rock these days is fucking depressing.

It's a shame, because I don't think the genre has been exhausted, it just needs a couple of artists like Kanye West and Kendrick Lamar who have the artistic vision and ambition combined with no fear of the public eye.

You look at a lot of modern rock acts and they're populated by the whitest, most emasculated, neurotic, socially-awkward, angsty middle-class men that a college education could possibly produce. They seem almost embarrassed to be making music and apologetic for any mainstream success they might achieve. It's no surprise to me that mainstream music is being conquered by black and female artists who've had a bit of adversity to overcome, have a chip on their shoulder and aren't ashamed to tell everyone that they're the shit.

Arcade Fire are probably the one exception, Reflektor had a swagger and confidence to it (no doubt helped by James Murphy, who I don't really consider a 'rock' act) but still it wasn't a truly great album and they need to bring one out with their next release before they're consigned to living off past glories.
  • Visit poster's website
denmarkman

United States

• Posted: 05/29/2016 14:10
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
But surely the two go hand in hand. Rock can only be dead if other genres are proving more vibrant, vital, and relevant.

Nah, all music is dead.
  • Visit poster's website
adriagc96

Andorra

• Posted: 05/29/2016 14:32
  • Post subject:
boyd94 wrote:
Yeh, looking at mainstream rock these days is fucking depressing.

It's a shame, because I don't think the genre has been exhausted, it just needs a couple of artists like Kanye West and Kendrick Lamar who have the artistic vision and ambition combined with no fear of the public eye.

You look at a lot of modern rock acts and they're populated by the whitest, most emasculated, neurotic, socially-awkward, angsty middle-class men that a college education could possibly produce. They seem almost embarrassed to be making music and apologetic for any mainstream success they might achieve. It's no surprise to me that mainstream music is being conquered by black and female artists who've had a bit of adversity to overcome, have a chip on their shoulder and aren't ashamed to tell everyone that they're the shit.

Arcade Fire are probably the one exception, Reflektor had a swagger and confidence to it (no doubt helped by James Murphy, who I don't really consider a 'rock' act) but still it wasn't a truly great album and they need to bring one out with their next release before they're consigned to living off past glories.

Didn't know your life had to be shit to make good music...The greatest rock bands were formed by white middle-class boys.
Let me tell you, the only thing you need is to be musically talented (and a little lucky).
  • Visit poster's website
Allabaster

• Posted: 05/29/2016 15:03
  • Post subject:
Perhaps it is not as vicious to dismiss the expressions of those with privilege, but it is equally clumsy.