recent surge of advertisments

View previous topic :: View next topic
purple

• Posted: 07/09/2011 13:36
  • Post subject: recent surge of advertisments
so, this week there have been at least three advertisers posting on BEA. I know you've always got a lot to do, but I suggest pushing some of what's on the timeline back to get rid of the ads. They seem automated because they choose seemingly random locations to post (well, two of the three did this week) and post the exact same thing. Perhaps there's some way to filter this out... (but make sure you don't filter out Naples! he says the same thing all the time on charts!)
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/09/2011 14:24
  • Post subject:
actually been doing a quite a bit behind the scenes already to try and stop this. The focus so far has been on the registration form to make it more difficult for bots to register (you can't post anything without registering first).

The next step will be to disallow posting url's completely until you have posted x number of comments or been a member for x days just like the forums are now.

Notice that the forums are pretty much spam-free, so I think this policy kind of works (although it might be a bit harsh on new users).

I think spammers are wasting their time here. All links are nofollow and all spammer accounts are deleted pretty much straight away.
  • Visit poster's website