RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2016 05:39
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
limousine is as essential as it gets.

Is it the lyrics?

Musicially I feel it does nothing for 7 minutes... (I realize that is an oversimplification)... but there's not a lot of dynamics (sure it builds and yes it does have dynamics... but somehow it feels like the same thing the whole time... minus maybe the guitar solo... which that whole part musically is pretty intense... regardless there's something missing from this song to me). I feel like I endure 5 minutes of mediocre music to enjoy 2 minutes of amazing. Is it the lyrics (cause I totally didn't pay attention to those)? Or what's amazing about the first 5 minutes?

I'm asking cause I'm super curious what you love about it.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2016 16:05
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Is it the lyrics?

Musicially I feel it does nothing for 7 minutes... (I realize that is an oversimplification)... but there's not a lot of dynamics (sure it builds and yes it does have dynamics... but somehow it feels like the same thing the whole time... minus maybe the guitar solo... which that whole part musically is pretty intense... regardless there's something missing from this song to me). I feel like I endure 5 minutes of mediocre music to enjoy 2 minutes of amazing. Is it the lyrics (cause I totally didn't pay attention to those)? Or what's amazing about the first 5 minutes?

talking about music is like dancing about architecture, but i'll ramble on for a bit.

the first five minutes is the slow burn .. the anticipation. boiled the water before it blows. yes, lyrically, this is spectacular, but the subtleties do it for me too. the atmospheres. the tension that just builds. the chord progression isn't gonna light van halen on fire, but it's a beautiful progression.

and anyway, i'm not sure where you're dicing out the dynamics. the whole song is swells// ups and downs / build release.

lyrics... no doubt, not to dig on the rest of brand new, but lyrics are the high point. jesse lacey is, imao, top ten lyric genius. he uses an exa,mple of real life tragedy to speak int o the hearts of all of us on a relateable level. that guilt we carry around that says you're never going to be good enough and it's too late to change. the damage is done. he wallows in it, sure, but he hits that feelingg so square on the head. and even in the course of walking through this narrative, he manages to riddle all of his lyrics with zingers (e.g. in the choir / i saw our sad messiah / he was bored and tired of my laments / said i died for you one time / but never again).

but hey it does it for you or it doesn't. jesse's got me hook line sink'r.

and millstone.
Rhett

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2016 16:32
  • Post subject:
I was in Chicago for Lollapalooza. One of the best parts of the trip (besides the festival) was a river tour of the Chicago architecture. It's _definitely_ worth dancing about architecture when you're in Chicago.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2016 01:13
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Is it the lyrics?

talking about music is like dancing about architecture, but i'll ramble on for a bit.

the first five minutes is the slow burn .. the anticipation. boiled the water before it blows. yes, lyrically, this is spectacular, but the subtleties do it for me too. the atmospheres. the tension that just builds. the chord progression isn't gonna light van halen on fire, but it's a beautiful progression.

and anyway, i'm not sure where you're dicing out the dynamics. the whole song is swells// ups and downs / build release.

lyrics... no doubt, not to dig on the rest of brand new, but lyrics are the high point. jesse lacey is, imao, top ten lyric genius. he uses an exa,mple of real life tragedy to speak int o the hearts of all of us on a relateable level. that guilt we carry around that says you're never going to be good enough and it's too late to change. the damage is done. he wallows in it, sure, but he hits that feelingg so square on the head. and even in the course of walking through this narrative, he manages to riddle all of his lyrics with zingers (e.g. in the choir / i saw our sad messiah / he was bored and tired of my laments / said i died for you one time / but never again).

and millstone.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Fantastic commentary. I actually have a higher appreciation of the song now. I guess I just didn't "get" those aspects and appreciate you illuminating them for me.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 08/17/2016 01:14
  • Post subject:
Rhett wrote:
I was in Chicago for Lollapalooza. One of the best parts of the trip (besides the festival) was a river tour of the Chicago architecture. It's _definitely_ worth dancing about architecture when you're in Chicago.

Laughing Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 08/18/2016 23:36
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Is it the lyrics?

and millstone.

I finally got to see Brand New live recently and going into Limousine, Jesse said something like "This is a song I wrote about a girl that died. It took me having a wife and a child of my own to realize what an awful song it is." It was the only banter of the night but that's gonna stick with me close.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website