It's Ok
46%
 46%  [6]
Total Votes : 13

The Mubla

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/19/2011 10:10
  • Post subject:
super trouper and the visiters? not my cup of tea.
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 04/19/2011 10:14
  • Post subject:
The Mubla wrote:
super trouper and the visiters? not my cup of tea.

I remember back in the 70's in Wisconsin ABBA was on the radio all the time. Especially Dancing Queen.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2011 11:55
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Personally, I'm sticking with my rating of caaraaaaaap Evil or Very Mad Not just because of the numerous redicoulous albums on their 100 list. But the pompas (even by Rolling Stone standards) disreguard for what I believe was the strongest genre of the 80's. Metal. Sure they have Kill Em All by Metallica at #35, but, o by the way, Metallica have 3 better albums from the 80's.

Now I was 15 in 1980 so I was actually buying 80's albums as they were released. And I bought a considerable amount of them. I played in bands so of course cover songs always come with the territory so I had to know what people really wanted to hear.

First thing I would do is replace Kill Em All with Master Of Puppets. I was around when that album came out and it blew my mind, as it did for most anyone who heard it at the time. Nothing against K.E.A. but it pales in comparison to Puppets and has horrible sound quality. Just listen to Hit The Lights which sounds like a 5 year old sound engineer did the recording of it.

Then I would remove 11 of the albums on the R.S. list and promptly throw them in the trash. I will just list the "artist" and not the album because they are not worth the time required in doing so.

Culture Club
UB40
Graham Parker
Lyle Lovett
George Michael
The Specials
Gang Of Four
John Hiatt
the Feelies
Janet Jackson
Black Uhuru

BYE BYE Twisted Evil

Now the albums that actually belong on the list. O, ya, IMO of course.

POWERSLAVE - IRON MAIDEN
HEAVEN AND HELL - BLACK SABBATH
AND JUSTICE FOR ALL - METALLICA
PIECE OF MIND - IRON MAIDEN
THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST - IRON MAIDEN
SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE - JUDAS PRIEST
HOLY DIVER - DIO

And these 4 non-metal albums would be redeemed of the insult dealt by Rolling Stone.

PERMANENT WAVES - RUSH
OPERATION MINDCRIME - QUEENSRYCHE
MOVING PICTURES - RUSH
PARADISE THEATER - STYX

You think The Specials, Gang of Four , and The Feelies are crap? This would be why I would never ask you for a musical recommendation.

Overall, there are some lame albums on the list that are very dated, but also some very good ones. Why is London Calling at the top of the list? Because it's awesome!
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 04/19/2011 12:00
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
GARY wrote:
Personally, I'm sticking with my rating of caaraaaaaap Evil or Very Mad Not just because of the numerous redicoulous albums on their 100 list. But the pompas (even by Rolling Stone standards) disreguard for what I believe was the strongest genre of the 80's. Metal. Sure they have Kill Em All by Metallica at #35, but, o by the way, Metallica have 3 better albums from the 80's.

Now I was 15 in 1980 so I was actually buying 80's albums as they were released. And I bought a considerable amount of them. I played in bands so of course cover songs always come with the territory so I had to know what people really wanted to hear.

First thing I would do is replace Kill Em All with Master Of Puppets. I was around when that album came out and it blew my mind, as it did for most anyone who heard it at the time. Nothing against K.E.A. but it pales in comparison to Puppets and has horrible sound quality. Just listen to Hit The Lights which sounds like a 5 year old sound engineer did the recording of it.

Then I would remove 11 of the albums on the R.S. list and promptly throw them in the trash. I will just list the "artist" and not the album because they are not worth the time required in doing so.

Culture Club
UB40
Graham Parker
Lyle Lovett
George Michael
The Specials
Gang Of Four
John Hiatt
the Feelies
Janet Jackson
Black Uhuru

BYE BYE Twisted Evil

Now the albums that actually belong on the list. O, ya, IMO of course.

POWERSLAVE - IRON MAIDEN
HEAVEN AND HELL - BLACK SABBATH
AND JUSTICE FOR ALL - METALLICA
PIECE OF MIND - IRON MAIDEN
THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST - IRON MAIDEN
SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE - JUDAS PRIEST
HOLY DIVER - DIO

And these 4 non-metal albums would be redeemed of the insult dealt by Rolling Stone.

PERMANENT WAVES - RUSH
OPERATION MINDCRIME - QUEENSRYCHE
MOVING PICTURES - RUSH
PARADISE THEATER - STYX

You think The Specials, Gang of Four , and The Feelies are crap? This would be why I would never ask you for a musical recommendation.

Overall, there are some lame albums on the list that are very dated, but also some very good ones. Why is London Calling at the top of the list? Because it's awesome!

You think Justin Bieber is awesome shankly. WTF do you know. Yes, compaired to Iron Maiden, RUSH, Metallica, Judas Priest, DIO, Black Sabbath and Queensryche.

The Feelies are CAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAP Twisted Evil

• Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2011 12:12
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
40footwolf wrote:
I'm not a fan of anything Dio did outside of his albums with Rainbow. I'll agree with you that metal should've been more widely acknowledged. And it's not that I don't like Master of Puppets, I just think it's completely overrated, as is Piece of Mind(I love The Trooper, Revelations and Flight of Icarus but the rest I can do without).

And while I'm at it, NO MEGADETH Shocked How about Peace Sells But Who's Buying?

I will argue until my dying breath about 80's metal. People don't seem to know, realize, or care about the high level of talent in the genre.

Metal is where you will find the best vocalists with incredible range and power. The best drummers who don't just play the drums. They punish and destroy them. Guitar players that are not only great but can play at blinding speed. Don't even get me started on bass players because metal bass players blow other genres out of the fucking water. As far as lyrics, no not to many silly love songs as Lennon told McCartney, but I find metal lyrics epic in scale. Metal lyrics go into worlds of war, mystery, pain, anger, power explore them, and then take a wrecking ball to them. Once I got metal into my blood it was there to stay. Fuck tiger blood, I'm a METAL GOD.

Metal also eventually led to Spinal Tap and Beavis and Butthead , and I laughed my ass off at both. Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 04/19/2011 12:16
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
GARY wrote:
40footwolf wrote:
I'm not a fan of anything Dio did outside of his albums with Rainbow. I'll agree with you that metal should've been more widely acknowledged. And it's not that I don't like Master of Puppets, I just think it's completely overrated, as is Piece of Mind(I love The Trooper, Revelations and Flight of Icarus but the rest I can do without).

And while I'm at it, NO MEGADETH Shocked How about Peace Sells But Who's Buying?

I will argue until my dying breath about 80's metal. People don't seem to know, realize, or care about the high level of talent in the genre.

Metal is where you will find the best vocalists with incredible range and power. The best drummers who don't just play the drums. They punish and destroy them. Guitar players that are not only great but can play at blinding speed. Don't even get me started on bass players because metal bass players blow other genres out of the fucking water. As far as lyrics, no not to many silly love songs as Lennon told McCartney, but I find metal lyrics epic in scale. Metal lyrics go into worlds of war, mystery, pain, anger, power explore them, and then take a wrecking ball to them. Once I got metal into my blood it was there to stay. Fuck tiger blood, I'm a METAL GOD.

Metal also eventually led to Spinal Tap and Beavis and Butthead , and I laughed my ass off at both. Laughing

Beavis and Butthead were my hero's Very Happy

It was a travesty when they went off the air. I love the part in spinal tap where dude is telling meathead that his amp goes up to 11 Laughing

• Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 04/19/2011 12:48
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
GARY wrote:
40footwolf wrote:

It was a travesty when they went off the air. I love the part in spinal tap where dude is telling meathead that his amp goes up to 11 Laughing

The only good that ever came form Beavis and Butthead was the amazing spin off Daria, one of the best shows of the 90's IMO
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 04/19/2011 13:01
  • Post subject:
Polythene Pam wrote:
GARY wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
GARY wrote:
40footwolf wrote:

The only good that ever came form Beavis and Butthead was the amazing spin off Daria, one of the best shows of the 90's IMO

Beavis & Butthead were better music critics than Rolling Stone is Evil or Very Mad

And they had a very saphisticated rating system Very Happy

........heh ...............eh....................THIS SUCKS
...............................................THIS IS COOL

And they made one of the all time great movies Very Happy

Beavis and Butthead Do America

• Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 04/19/2011 13:07
  • Post subject:

• Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/22/2016 20:06
  • Post subject:
Rolling Stone lists are always worthless. Their incessant worship of Bruce "Mr Mumbles with a half octave range" Springsteen and their total disregard for truly great musicians who can actually sing and play instruments, and their total ignorance of metal and prog make them utterly pointless. Myopic in the extreme.
  • Visit poster's website