Artists/Songs You liked as a kid but absolutely hate now?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/27/2017 17:56
  • Post subject:
I was a big Paula Abdul, Janet Jackson, New Kids on the Block and Michael Jackson fan as a kid. Hate is a strong word. I just find them irrelevant, though I still get a little kick out of a few Michael Jackson songs when the time is right.

Later, I was a big fan of The Beatles, The Strokes, and (gasp!) Coldplay's A Rush of Blood to the Head. I like The Beatles now but not nearly so much as I once did. I could care less for The Strokes, except Is This It is still good (very overrated though). And Coldplay... yikes...
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 01/27/2017 18:33
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Coldplay's A Rush of Blood to the Head.

I still can't believe that albums in the top 100
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/27/2017 18:50
  • Post subject:
hereforashortime wrote:
I still can't believe that albums in the top 100

Never noticed that. That top 100 is full of such selections though -- in my, perhaps overly-elitist-sounding, opinion.

Rush of Blood to the Head is largely mediocre, but has some solid melodic progressions. Clocks and The Scientist are pretty good, Politik has some decent atmospheric moments. Some others are okay. But the singer is too often stilted, anemic -- and not in a compelling way -- but usually rather boring. His voice tends to lose its projection as it climaxes past a certain point, as it carries -- which mitigates the emotional impact. This might not be a problem if he was able to sound introspective (or some other inward feeling) when this happens (thus giving it some significance), but he generally does not -- or at least not in a notable way. He is a (very) poor man's Tim Buckley, or Mark Hollis. If whomever voted for Rush of Blood to the Head find's that album impactful (I say this knowing I was once, for a short time, "guilty" of it too!), I think they'd explode from emotional exhaustion if they took the proper time to assimilate the likes of Tim Buckley's Lorca, or Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden, etc.
  • Visit poster's website
Insomniac

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/27/2017 19:51
  • Post subject:
I was an obsessive fan of Korn in the second half of my teens, which just seems incomprehensible to me now.

I suppose the first album still works as a time-capsule piece, considering it sounded at the time like nothing that had come before it (the down-tuning, and the vocal styling being almost like a man openly crying into a mic, coupled with the lyrical content), and "Follow The Leader" has a handful of tunes that hold up. They did spawn a lot of tenth-rate copyists (Adema, Spineshank, Taproot, Coal Chamber), and that combined with how quickly they descended into self-parody- their thematic concept wasn't exactly set up for longevity- probably takes a bit of shine off their early, actually quite decent, work.
  • Visit poster's website
boyd94

• Posted: 01/28/2017 13:50
  • Post subject:
Muse.

What an embarrassment.
  • Visit poster's website