Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic
Daydreamer

• Posted: 07/14/2017 09:13
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Daydreamer wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
I feel like I'm constantly defending The Beatles and U2.

Both on this site and in real life. Most of real life was: I don't like Twist and Shout so I don't like the Beatles (or I don't like hippies) or I don't like With or Without You, so I don't like U2.

U2 is uncool, but The Beatles I think are not. Not many love them, but everyone respects them.

Beatles in many ways are the antithesis of cool. It's Dadrock. It's stuff your mom listens to... yada yada yada... Well and then here, you have they are just another trash pop group, Scaruffi is god, yada yada yada. I remember it was "fantastic" news that Paul McCartney was kicked out of some rapper's party cause nobody knew who this middle aged man was.

U2 admits they are uncool - when majority in the 80s were hairspray/glamour shot/pop stars, they were wearing the flannel and ripped jeans, and then in the 90s when everyone was wearing ripped jeans and flannel, they were mocking the pop stars of the 80s. But then you have this hatred of Bono (which to be honest I don't REALLY get... I mean I kind of get... but Bono is totally Justin Bieber to most people. Bono might as well be a backstreet boy in the eyes of these people, yet he totally isn't and that part I don't get. Is he a frontman of a big rock band, so he's quite full of himself, you bet... but so are like 504 other frontmen, yet they don't get the label he does. I don't know... I just don't get the U2 is utter garbage mentality and feel I constantly have to defend that. Having said that Coldplay on the other hand... they've totally turned to garbage and I have no qualms stating such. The worst part though is seeing someone rip U2 and then they have an Oasis album on their charts.

I really like U2, but I totally get why people hate Bono. He somehow became bigger than the band, with his charity work and his political views and was in a way to direct and in your face - like he wanted you to think he's such a great great guy. Also I know people who dislike his singing because it's so theatrical and over the top with his wailing and shouting that it sounds insincere. It's a legit opinion, even if I disagree. He does kind of a douchebag to me, but his voice is amazing.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/14/2017 09:33
  • Post subject:
buzzdainer wrote:
I'm always hearing people say that Deafheaven are "black metal for people who hate black metal" or "black metal for gay hipsters". And it seems to me that a lot of people are really pissed off that Sunbather was the most critically acclaimed album on Metacritic in 2013.[/quote]

I'm familiar with this line of criticism, so I think I'm persuaded that, at least in some circles, Deafheaven is an uncool band. I'm a fan of Digable Planets, and I remember seeing them at one point in the #1 spot on a list of "hip hop artists for people who don't like hip hop." Which is a concept that just plain confuses me.[/quote]

That concept confused me at one time me, too. Because a few years ago someone was at my house one day and they asked me as they looked through my CDs, ",Is this the only hip hop you have?" And they said that it was the kind of hip-hop that people who don't like hip hop like, and I asked why, but they really didn't have a good explanation. They just said "well this is the kind of Hip Hop for people who don't like hip hop". And I asked if it was considered bad music, and he said "No, it's good. People think it's good". I said " So what's the problem?" And it was just stuff that I really liked at the time like Prince Paul, Handsome Boy Modeling School, Doctor Doom Kool Keith, that type of thing. It confused me. So, I have heard that concept before. I'm not saying I understand it, but I have heard of it before.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 07/14/2017 11:51
  • Post subject:
i dont hate dave mathews band, i certainly don't love them but i don't hate them either. i think they are ok. i like circles around the sun, a Neal Casal side project. Their one album interlude for the dead was on 2 different lists i saw for most pointless and worst albums of 2015. I have it in my top 100, it is all instrumental double album of fairly spacey tunes but i LOVE it.
  • Visit poster's website