Rap in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/10/2017 07:50
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I don't really know anything about it... it felt like something originally made to remember the early rock n' rollers - Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Little Richard, etc. Since then I have no idea what it is/supposed to be.

I've always thought it something like the Hard Rock Cafe or something - you know memorabilia and "music history"... but probably more than a place to get a burger... idk... they should just rename it to Museum of Modern Music or something. Maybe make it more legit?

I hear there's a whole museum dedicated to Johnny Cash in Memphis or somewhere. I'd go to that if I were in town and was in the right mood. But part of me thinks I wouldn't give a shit, as much as I really like Johnny Cash's music... part of me doesn't care to know his history.

Anyway, music museums are cool sometimes. Went to the Fender factory/museum in Corona once and thought it was interesting to witness the evolution of that company's effect on music history/see the instruments that made music history/artistry in the instrument itself.

No offense or anything but to mock something that "lists" out "societies" best musicians and be a regular on this site is a bit ironic, right? I get most people in the forums find that concept boring even, but I've always found that ironic too. Idk probably wrong... it does feel a bit more like this elitist club that doesn't matter. Like the Sex Pistols told them to pound sand. whatever don't care either way.

Ramble ramble ramble.

I love lists. I love making them and seeing them. Seeing what people rate on here helps me discover more. I love end of years lists in the music media. I love greatest all time lists by anyone. I hate seeing incredibly well known artists that have mostly sold shit loads of records being patted on the back and inducted into some special elitist club on the basis that they have sold shit loads of records and are very well known. And it's not down to influence as artists that are very influential but are not as well known are not considered mostly. I love things like the mercury prize though, that is valid. The rock n roll hall of fame is like a night club that you aren't that fussed on going to anyways but won't let you in as you don't have the proper shoes on. I remember all the soul searching they had when they let people like PE in, bollocks. They are too dumb to realise that hip hop is as punk as you can get. The new wave crowd knew this at the time but all this time later some still find it hard to compute. And gene simmons telling anyone about anything, well, ha ha.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2017 08:10
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
I don't really know anything about it... it felt like something originally made to remember the early rock n' rollers - Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Little Richard, etc. Since then I have no idea what it is/supposed to be.

I've always thought it something like the Hard Rock Cafe or something - you know memorabilia and "music history"... but probably more than a place to get a burger... idk... they should just rename it to Museum of Modern Music or something. Maybe make it more legit?

I hear there's a whole museum dedicated to Johnny Cash in Memphis or somewhere. I'd go to that if I were in town and was in the right mood. But part of me thinks I wouldn't give a shit, as much as I really like Johnny Cash's music... part of me doesn't care to know his history.

Anyway, music museums are cool sometimes. Went to the Fender factory/museum in Corona once and thought it was interesting to witness the evolution of that company's effect on music history/see the instruments that made music history/artistry in the instrument itself.

No offense or anything but to mock something that "lists" out "societies" best musicians and be a regular on this site is a bit ironic, right? I get most people in the forums find that concept boring even, but I've always found that ironic too. Idk probably wrong... it does feel a bit more like this elitist club that doesn't matter. Like the Sex Pistols told them to pound sand. whatever don't care either way.

Ramble ramble ramble.

I love lists. I love making them and seeing them. Seeing what people rate on here helps me discover more. I love end of years lists in the music media. I love greatest all time lists by anyone. I hate seeing incredibly well known artists that have mostly sold shit loads of records being patted on the back and inducted into some special elitist club on the basis that they have sold shit loads of records and are very well known. And it's not down to influence as artists that are very influential but are not as well known are not considered mostly. I love things like the mercury prize though, that is valid. The rock n roll hall of fame is like a night club that you aren't that fussed on going to anyways but won't let you in as you don't have the proper shoes on. I remember all the soul searching they had when they let people like PE in, bollocks. They are too dumb to realise that hip hop is as punk as you can get. The new wave crowd knew this at the time but all this time later some still find it hard to compute. And gene simmons telling anyone about anything, well, ha ha.

So sounds like it isn't the concept altogether that is ridiculous (music history museum), rather the execution?

Rockism must die and this likely is the worst form of it?

And dude, totally agree - KISS is a ridiculous band. Never really produced anything of quality. Gimmick.

And public enemy is indeed just as punk rock as any punk rock bands. Totally way more punk rock than Green Day... hahaha. Yet they get the label, albeit argued against.
  • Visit poster's website
jhuik
BOSS

Canada

• Posted: 11/10/2017 15:01
  • Post subject:
I don't hate the RRHoF. I think it's great when artists get recognition (don't agree with all their selections, of course: Kiss? nah. Journey? come on). If Tupac and NWA get recognition from the RnR world good on em. Cube is dead on when he says "Rock & roll is a spirit."
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 11/10/2017 17:42
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:

In this Internet age it's less valid than ever before.

That isn't a response to my statement. my statement was meant to be interpreted as "institutions like these bring validity to artists". Think about it for a second, when choosing a new group to listen to, would you trust random user "graeme2" for advice first or an institution that has been around for 30 years assuming you didn't have much knowledge on music?

There's no doubt that other services have popped up over the years splitting the userbase of music listeners. From forums to music listening platforms to online radio to video sharing websites, people who are interested have plenty of choices and options when it comes to music discovery. However, that hasn't stopped this particular venue from making massive amounts of money on the services it provides. On top of that, it still receives massive amounts of attention from media outlets.

I think your bias really clouds your judgement tbh. You go on about wondering if people care or not yet you don't make the slightest effort just to look up amount of money the venue makes, amount of media attention it receives, number of visitors over time, changes in x over time, and etc. I honestly think you don't really care about this particular discussion and just came here to say it sucks. That's alright, but stop trying to hide behind a discussion about something else entirely. If you think the rock and roll hall of fame sucks and that's your only valid statement in this discussion, say it and leave.
  • Visit poster's website