Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2017 20:49
  • Post subject:
Quote:
a/ I can confirm that mandela affected people are not all alcoholic.

oh I didn't mean to suggest that, it's just that usually people require an impaired state for this level of hubris.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 11/13/2017 21:41
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
Quote:
a/ I can confirm that mandela affected people are not all alcoholic.

oh I didn't mean to suggest that, it's just that usually people require an impaired state for this level of hubris.

I'm gonna give you an information that will help you to both relax and open your mind: rationalism is just a belief among other beliefs.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2017 22:07
  • Post subject:
this isn't an ism its just so much more likely that people remember things wrong than all this sci fi shit. like with the joe cocker thing, its slowed down so you get the rhyme in there where it wasn't needed before, and then a bunch of ppl hear it on the wonder years when theyre kids and becomes the primary version. also it makes no sense that these changes would be so minor. like lets say the past gets changed and someone gets a dog they didn't have before and so now there's dog poop in a spot where it wasnt before and some guy is on his way to make a baby but he steps in the dog poop and it totally bums him out and the baby never gets made. the different realities shouldn't be this similar.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2017 22:18
  • Post subject:
I can think of one example, but I'm sure it's not very widespread. But I've heard it many times in my life.
For some reason many people started to think that the name Tangerine Dream was taken from a line in Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds by the Beatles. And the amazing thing is, when you point out that John Lennon is saying tangerine *trees*, not tangerine *dream*, people insist that he is saying tangerines dream. Even though they once knew that he was indeed saying tree, they've changed their mind. At one time they knew that it was tree, but I think they've heard the story so many times that.
they think it's true
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2017 22:21
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
this isn't an ism its just so much more likely that people remember things wrong than all this sci fi shit. like with the joe cocker thing, its slowed down so you get the rhyme in there where it wasn't needed before, and then a bunch of ppl hear it on the wonder years when theyre kids and becomes the primary version. also it makes no sense that these changes would be so minor. like lets say the past gets changed and someone gets a dog they didn't have before and so now there's dog poop in a spot where it wasnt before and some guy is on his way to make a baby but he steps in the dog poop and it totally bums him out and the baby never gets made. the different realities shouldn't be this similar.

i think Mandela dying in prison in the 80s is pretty radically different than reality.

i agree that it's mostly biases and misinformation and not some sci-fi schism of realities, but it's still a pretty crazy phenomenon.
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/13/2017 22:53
  • Post subject:
Yeah I find all these examples interesting and well-noted. But I also find the rational explanations for these phenomena pretty satisfactory. Everyone calls Ramones the Ramones. I think it just sounds right because it's a plural proper noun. It's interesting that this mistake collectively happens but probably no paranormal activity involved Smile
Yann

France

• Posted: 11/14/2017 11:31
  • Post subject:
Here is briefly how i got into mandela effect. About 5 years ago, I was showing to my son a film that I had not watched for a long time: back to the future.
I didn’t know anything about the mandela effect at the time (and it was not so well known anyway). However, during the scene with the terrorists attacking Doc and McFly on the parking, I said to myself : very strange, the Libyan van is no longer the white toyota van but now a pristine blue volkswagen “Kombi” van! Then I thought that they probably re-shoot the scene at the time, and that there was just two versions of the scene, and no longer thought of it.
Then, about a month ago, I learned about the mandela effect, and came across a youtube video on that back to the future van “change”: apparently, it’s always been a VW van, although many people do remember vividly a Toyota… I was (rationnaly) intrigued Wink
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/14/2017 12:46
  • Post subject:
Yeah it is curious and I appreciate interesting threads like this. Not wanting to question your rational capabilities either Yann!!

Also, yes there are surely limits to rationality (good point you made earlier). I'm sure that many of our supposed rational claims of today will be seen as naive in the future. A slavish dependence on rationality can lead to a lack of imagination and curiosity, which is costly!
Infinity183

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2017 07:03
  • Post subject:
For a while, I thought the lyrics to Laura Branigan's "Self Control" were more repetitive than they actually were. First off, I firmly believed that during the first verse, "in the day, nothing matters" was rhymed with "it's the nighttime that matters," not "flatters." I also remember the chorus mostly just repeating "you take my self, you take my self, you take my self control," without too much variation, as opposed to sandwiching lines such as "you got me livin' only for the night" (which doesn't rhyme with anything) and "before the morning comes, the story's told" in between.

It was only the past couple of days, when I first heard the Raf version of "Self Control," that I realized the lyrics weren't nearly as repetitious as I recalled them to be. Initially, I thought only the Raf version had the non-repetitive lyrics, with Branigan's supposedly changing the words a bit for a more focused hook. However, I after having played Branigan's recording earlier today, I finally realized she was saying "flatters" all along, and that there was just as much being said in the chorus as in her Italian counterpart's version.

Considering Branigan's "Self Control" is in my top 10 songs for the 1980s decade, I'm surprised it took me all of this to hear the lyrics correctly; usually, when a song has such great production, singing, and melodies, I focus less on the words because of how entranced I am by the music, but "Self Control" is far more intricate in its subject matter than your usual 80s dance-pop hit. I knew all along it was an ominous, scene-building track all along, but my ears still got led astray somehow.
  • Visit poster's website